Smile4Rich Guernsey Golf Day

This one is all for Chaaaarity - Not 'arf mate.
Any fundraising or information on your fave charities goes here. Also, any Board get-togethers like The Christmas Bash.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, General Mods

Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Smile4Rich Guernsey Golf Day

Post by Guernsey Blue »

I know that a number of users of this board have, over many years, been interested in, and very supportive of, this excellent charity, so herewith a brief update on the latest fundraising event. (We'll keep this as a sticky for a few days and move it into the charity section thereafter.)

Last Friday saw the 4th annual Guernsey Golf Day, held at the picturesque La Grande Mare golf club on the island's west coast. 80 competitors took part in decent weather, although that aspect had looked decidedly dodgy the previous day, and enjoyed a hard-fought contest, with the top 5 teams separated at the end by the narrowest of margins. For once, nobody broke any windows, injured any geese, or decked any of their playing partners/competitors with a wayward shot.

Around 120 folk attended a dinner in the evening, which was followed by an auction of sporting memorabilia and items donated by local individuals and companies. The event generated a staggering £17,650, making the total raised by the good people of Guernsey over the 4 years around £59,000, something that those of us privileged enough to be involved are truly proud of. The generosity and kindness of the people who support us in putting this on every year never ceases to amaze.

As always, the indomitable Sherl was in attendance and this year did an interview with the local radio station on the morning of the event. Those that know him will agree that he has a great face for this particular medium, and, despite a stinking cold and having been up half the night due to his hotel fire alarm going off, did his usual excellent job of promoting the charity and the occasion.

All in all, a great day for a great cause.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Kingofstar
Interim Manager

Re: Smile4Rich Guernsey Golf Day

Post by Kingofstar »

Good work and well done to all involved.
It's not the despair, Lua Lua. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQEdeKreB4w
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

:thumb Well done to all involved. Impressive figures, GB!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Well done all .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Guernsey Blue wrote: having been up half the night due to his hotel fire alarm going off,
Old habits die hard, eh, GB?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Boutros Boutros Ghali wrote:
Guernsey Blue wrote: having been up half the night due to his hotel fire alarm going off,
Old habits die hard, eh, GB?
Well spotted mate. :lol:

Cracking result for the cause, well done all concerned. :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

An incredible total which, even with the seemingly boundless generosity of the good people of Guernsey, would not be possible but for the efforts of GB and his co-organisers of this event. An absolute pleasure for me to attend each year as I do almost nothing to contribute to its success, other than turn up, take people's money and say a few words on behalf of the charity.

If you enjoy your golf and fancy a weekend in Guernsey next June then I can highly recommend this event.

Of course, if you fancy playing sooner then the Smile4Rich Ryder Cup-style Golf Day will this year take place on Friday 17th September at Cams Hall Golf Club (new venue this year). Full detailis on the S4R web site in the next day or two.

GB, you are a bl**dy star mate (even if the possibility of you being the perpetrator of the fire alarm had escaped my attention!).

Cheers mate!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well done all. :thumb
CoshamScouse
Gary O'Neil

Post by CoshamScouse »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Friday 17th September at Cams Hall Golf Club
That's a bit easier to get to. Will you need observers?
...he crawls out from the darkness....
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Post by formerly known as »

Amazing total - well done!
Real fans eat Angel Delight...