"Abide Pompey" - FA Cup song for Pompey by Pompey fans

We're off to Wembley, Wembley posts 'n stickies here, come one, come all.

PUP PPU

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PompE14
Robbie Pethick

"Abide Pompey" - FA Cup song for Pompey by Pompey fans

Post by PompE14 »

All,

Posted on behalf of the Pompey Anoraks Supporter group:

Most Cup final records are here today, gone tomorrow. After Pompey’s absence of 69 years from Wembley, we wanted to record something meaningful that might stir the loins and stand the test of time. So, what better than Abide With Me – or Abide Pompey, in this case? The more we thought about it the better the idea sounded and with the help of the Chichester City Band and the Solent Male Voice Choir, we think we’ve pulled it off. We hope you do too.

All proceeds will be donated to The Tom Prince Cancer Trust, Oakley Waterman Caravan Foundation and Second Chance. The song is now available to download from iTunes - http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 0&s=143444

You can hear the song here: http://www.myspace.com/abidepompey

Please make sure you download the full version as well though as it means more money for charity and more chance of us getting near the top of the charts!

Some further info on the song and the charities from the News:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/On-son ... 4038995.jp

A link to the Facebook group promoting the song with lyrics, discussions etc:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14041817077

It's certainly different from most FA Cup songs and was written, produced and released by Pompey fans; all proceeds will go to good, local causes and perhaps we can sing this version at Wembley if enough of us have the lyrics!

Cheers,

Gaz
PUP!
Bangkok blue
Kev the Kitman

Re: "Abide Pompey" - FA Cup song for Pompey by Pompey fans

Post by Bangkok blue »

Brilliant!

Itunes store error though ... will try and purchase again tomorrow ... a very worthy song for a very worthy cause.
PompE14
Robbie Pethick

Post by PompE14 »

Dorking Blue wrote:Brilliant!

Itunes store error though ... will try and purchase again tomorrow ... a very worthy song for a very worthy cause.
Cheers for the feedback Dorking Blue. Please post whether you have any further trouble tomorrow and I'll get 'those who know how the i-tunes thingymejig works' to take a look.

Gaz
PUP!
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Sorry but this needs one big LOL. It's cringingly embarrassing

One it's bl**dy depressing, two, the guy has a welsh accent and the choir sounds like those dreadful welsh male voice lot so better suited to your opponents and three when the brass kicks in, it sounds like something from a Yorkshire coal mining village.

Couldn't someone have done something to Blue Peter or All the nice girls love a sailor or Sailing?Anything but that dirge....

Good luck for Saturday.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Sorry but this needs one big LOL. It's cringingly embarrassing

One it's bl**dy depressing, two, the guy has a welsh accent and the choir sounds like those dreadful welsh male voice lot so better suited to your opponents and three when the brass kicks in, it sounds like something from a Yorkshire coal mining village.

Couldn't someone have done something to Blue Peter or All the nice girls love a sailor or Sailing?Anything but that dirge....

Good luck for Saturday.
Oh, my God......how toe curlingly, embarrassing! I shall be unable to show my face in any of the media watering holes that I frequent - probably for the next seven years! I know it's for charidee but this is extracting the Michael. It's totally banal, has nothing to do with Pompey and a ruddy awful advert for the club. Ziggs - on bended knee - I beg you not to tell anyone else on the dark side about this....let it be our little secret.....(P 'n C exits stage left, a broken men with shambling gait and heaving shoulders.....)
WavedYellow
Collins Mbesuma

Post by WavedYellow »

Its a song usually played at funerals! Why can't we have something uplifting. Its truely awful!
PompE14
Robbie Pethick

Post by PompE14 »

To Ziggy, P&C and
WavedYellow wrote:Its a song usually played at funerals! Why can't we have something uplifting. Its truely awful!
1. It is based on the FA Cup anthem, "Abide with Me";
2. If you want an uplifting (a joke song that won't last past a season?) try Sham 69's, recorded by a London band looking to cash-in with no connection to Pompey.
3. Maybe you should spend hours of your own time before you criticise the efforts of other Pompey fans from the region including the Solent Male Voice Choir, Chichester City Brass, professional producers, studios and musicians trying to create something good for Pompey and good for local charities...
PUP!
Big Blue Bear
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Big Blue Bear »

Not knocking the effort you put in but the song is truely awful and certainly wont stand the test of time anymore than most other FA cup songs. Hope you raise decent cash for charity though.
WavedYellow
Collins Mbesuma

Post by WavedYellow »

Big Blue Bear wrote:Not knocking the effort you put in but the song is truely awful and certainly wont stand the test of time anymore than most other FA cup songs. Hope you raise decent cash for charity though.
Seconded, and i'll probably even buy it as its for charity and Pompey related. I actually like the song, and the singing etc (although i have to say my classical/brass/choir music knowledge is limited to say the least). My point was that we need something uplifiting. I didnt know it was the FA cup anthem (well, i've never been before have i ;-) ) but i would say the same to the FA - why not have something with a bit of go in it?

Can i get it from anywhere other than iTunes? I, errr, dont have iTunes installed (please please don't lets have the MAC vs PC row again!)
PompE14
Robbie Pethick

Post by PompE14 »

WavedYellow wrote: Seconded, and i'll probably even buy it as its for charity and Pompey related. I actually like the song, and the singing etc (although i have to say my classical/brass/choir music knowledge is limited to say the least). My point was that we need something uplifiting. I didnt know it was the FA cup anthem (well, i've never been before have i ;-) ) but i would say the same to the FA - why not have something with a bit of go in it?

Can i get it from anywhere other than iTunes? I, errr, dont have iTunes installed (please please don't lets have the MAC vs PC row again!)
Yeah, Abide with Me is played at every FA Cup final (well, unless the FA have welshed on yet another tradition :roll: ) - and you'll probably see a lot of us fans with wet eyes this Saturday (blimey - not long now! :D) when it is played before the game as it is an incredibly stirring piece.

It's exclusive to iTunes this week as it's one of their featured singles - and seems to be doing pretty well! It'll be available in other online stores from Saturday but you need to buy it this week to get us in the charts, so... get iTunes, download it and then uninstall it again! :wink:
PUP!
PompE14
Robbie Pethick

Post by PompE14 »

Big Blue Bear wrote:Not knocking the effort you put in but the song is truely awful and certainly wont stand the test of time anymore than most other FA cup songs. Hope you raise decent cash for charity though.
Thanks for the good wishes, BBB. The song seems to be a bit marmite, if you know what I mean!

The intention behind the song was to create a serious 'anthem' that goes beyond just the FA Cup and so could be sung in other seasons (we were discussing the lack of what we can call our own Pompey songs - PUP aside of course!). In our dream of world domination (perhaps whilst playing in European matches), we had a vision of Play Up Pompey rolling off the terraces at FP followed by a flag and scarve waving anthem (like Liverpool's YNWA) that we could all join in with.
PUP!
Bangkok blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Bangkok blue »

Download worked tonight.

Lets hope you raise a packet, let us know how it gets on in the charts?
PompE14
Robbie Pethick

Post by PompE14 »

Dorking Blue wrote:Download worked tonight.

Lets hope you raise a packet, let us know how it gets on in the charts?
Cheers, Dorking Blue!

Looks like we need all the word-of-mouth and 'advertising' we can get as the Welsh FA Cup effort is beating the Pompey one! :shock:

Gaz
ps - Setanta Sports News is running/has just run a feature on the Abide Pompey song & vid though..! :D
PUP!