Back from the Woking game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Woking game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Woking is less than 10 miles from where I live, so will almost certainly be my shortest ever drive to watch Pompey.

The game kicked off in atrocious conditions. It was lashing it down, cold and windy. The pitch, however, was in good nick and held up well though as the half wore on it was beginning to hold the ball up as the incessant rainfall had nowhere to go. Woking were a bigger side than us, though the technical ability was lacking. We took control of the game midway through the first half and got the better of the tricky conditions and out of nowhere the trialist Gareth Evans scored an absolute cracker from outside the box. If he doesn't get signed up now I'll be gobsmacked. He didn't have quite as good a game as he did on Tuesday, but he is still far better than the likes of Danny Hollands. We then scored a second a few minutes later. A free header from another trialist, Matt Clarke, who scored unmarked from a corner. When was the last time we scored a header from a corner? He also needs signing up - man of the match tonight and a quality player. Still can't believe he is only 18.

The second half was poor from us. Our players looked like they felt they had done enough and were happy to sit back and hold on to the two goal lead. We did have a bit of a go late on, but we weren't that bothered really.

Our other players: Good to see Gary Roberts back in the side after his injury scare a week ago. He showed flashes of his class, but looks like he is still getting back to match fitness and after his scare is probably holding back. We had a new GK on trial - Brian Murphy - who has been released by QPR. Whilst he is quite short, he looked very effective. His distribution was better than Jones, especially from the hand, and he made three excellent saves in the second half. Great to see some competition for Jones as we hear Poke has moved to Eastleigh on loan. Enda Stevens looked assured at left back, and Burgess played his best game for us so far. What I love about him is his ability to play the ball out of defence. The difference between him and someone like Joe Devera is a million miles. However, we still have a dilemma at right back, or at least Cook does. He played the Dutchman in the first half and Ben Davies in the second. I'm not sure he is convinced by either yet, but I now personally favour Ben Davies.

Atangana had another very good game, though not quite as good as on Tuesday. He is definitely preferring playing under Paul Cook and his performances are showing this. Doyle along side him was very very solid. He is a great replacement for Dunne who was not about tonight and is surely on his way?

Conor Chaplin played up front on his own tonight as the rest of our strikers are injured. Whilst he didn't score, he yet again looked very impressive. He runs the line brilliantly. My only fear for him as that he can get pushed off the ball too easily. Still think he is a great prospect though. Naismith is also growing in stature though van look a little lightweight.

All in all, another positive result, and a clean sheet. Cant wait to see Cook's starting line up on August 8th. PUP
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Re: Back from the Woking game

Post by miltoninLA »

Cheers SB. I really hope you get some fun from writing these as many of us get a lot of fun from reading them.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Congratulations SB - despite being dumped upon by a flood of epic proportions that would have had Noah reaching for his baling out equipment, you still managed to produce a report that encapsulates the detail of your trip to Woking. Your grasp of the game makes other scribes from the national newspapers and other media look positively woeful - if I may say, without embarrassing you too much, you are rapidly becoming a national treasure and this MB should be proud to have you aboard.

I can't quite remember when you first started these reports, but I suspect that it was around three years ago when they first appeared on a weekly basis and like fine wine they have matured into, not only a drip feed of ambrosia for our ex-pats, but also a stunning storyboard of life in the lower leagues. Week on week, your ability to capture the mood and structure of 90 minutes of our national game, has given us a belief that even if the team has served up total dross and disgraced the shirt, you have never sold us short on the literary front.

Respect!
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I concur what Pomp says and a 'BIG THANK YOU' from us ex-pats!! From your reports we can start organising our time tables ie. what date is the cup final? 8)
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Many Thanks SB, starting to get excited and enthused by the depth of your descriptions. Roll on 8th August and then the televised Derby game. However I shall be at Home Park a shorter distance from PL20 for me than your visit to Woking yesterday on the 15th.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Cheers guys :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here are the goals, just in case you haven't seen yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paH91SV ... e=youtu.be
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by clairewanderingaimlessly »

Glad you enjoyed the match, my hubby is from Woking so we had a day off and decided to go, the journey from Aylesbury should take about and hour , it took forever we arrived at 7.10pm as it was pouring with rain we went home again without stopping :(
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:Congratulations SB - despite being dumped upon by a flood of epic proportions that would have had Noah reaching for his baling out equipment, you still managed to produce a report that encapsulates the detail of your trip to Woking. Your grasp of the game makes other scribes from the national newspapers and other media look positively woeful - if I may say, without embarrassing you too much, you are rapidly becoming a national treasure and this MB should be proud to have you aboard.

I can't quite remember when you first started these reports, but I suspect that it was around three years ago when they first appeared on a weekly basis and like fine wine they have matured into, not only a drip feed of ambrosia for our ex-pats, but also a stunning storyboard of life in the lower leagues. Week on week, your ability to capture the mood and structure of 90 minutes of our national game, has given us a belief that even if the team has served up total dross and disgraced the shirt, you have never sold us short on the literary front.

Respect!

Well said Pomp and I always read SB's reports too but honestly as much as his prose which is excellent I really admire his total loyalty to his club and his always glass half full slant on things.
Much respect from me too SB :thumb

PS Pomp SB's postings are also the perfect antidote to some occasional posts on the tick tock tango theme by some fellow who I cant quite place at the moment and he should be better served by educating the rest of us and hoicking or necking the odd glass of acceptable claret. :wink:
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

itsaintfunny wrote:
pomp 'n circumstance wrote:Congratulations SB - despite being dumped upon by a flood of epic proportions that would have had Noah reaching for his baling out equipment, you still managed to produce a report that encapsulates the detail of your trip to Woking. Your grasp of the game makes other scribes from the national newspapers and other media look positively woeful - if I may say, without embarrassing you too much, you are rapidly becoming a national treasure and this MB should be proud to have you aboard.

Respect!

Well said Pomp and I always read SB's reports too but honestly as much as his prose which is excellent I really admire his total loyalty to his club and his always glass half full slant on things.
Much respect from me too SB :thumb

PS Pomp SB's postings are also the perfect antidote to some occasional posts on the tick tock tango theme by some fellow who I cant quite place at the moment and he should be better served by educating the rest of us and hoicking or necking the odd glass of acceptable claret. :wink:
Modesty ill becomes you ISF - tick tock tango was merely a plea for change when we were about to go down the plug hole! As for educating the little oiks on this MB, I fear I must leave that to the cognoscenti of lost causes, whilst concentrating on the great god Bacchus and the vineyards that produce the more than acceptable claret for our delictation......I trust all is well in the depressing city of red stripes and low ambition ISF?
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

I know why you did the tick tock tango stuff Pomp and you had a point but SB keeps the faith always and its time it was rewarded.
I wish you all a fine season and if you get promoted its a good thing in my opinion.
All well this end of the M27 , job still difficult but sometimes rewarding which keeps me motivated and of course still making progress at SMS and still a selling club .
I trust the world of tv and film making is still keeping your interest but high time you gave another recommendation or two in that direction.
Two series I have enjoyed recently have been Japan Earths Enchanted Islands and The Interceptor both stunning and well made in my view .