We're Gonna Win The League

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: We're Gonna Win The League

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Coshamwreck wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:I honestly think we will.
love the optimism but in reality - we won't and we don't deserve to

Delighted to be in the top 3 and promoted.
If we win the league we deserve it.
That's a truism 1985 but Jack_Tinn's sentiment is very much closer to my own.
I can see the truth in both sentiments, to be honest. Obviously, if we finish top, we deserve to - on the basis that this is how a league works.

However, can we truly "deserve" to finish higher than both Plymouth and Doncaster having only taken 2 points from the 12 available against those two teams?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Locky_McLockface wrote:However, can we truly "deserve" to finish higher than both Plymouth and Doncaster having only taken 2 points from the 12 available against those two teams?
Because we would have been more consistent in the other 42 games.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:However, can we truly "deserve" to finish higher than both Plymouth and Doncaster having only taken 2 points from the 12 available against those two teams?
Because we would have been more consistent in the other 42 games.
Absolutely. The league isnt about three teams, its about 24.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

if we can leave our natural bias to one side can we honestly say that Pompey has been the best team in League 2 this season?

Honestly I think Donny has been the best team. Where is their weakness? Strong in defence, powerful and creative in midfield and end product at the top of the field. Marquis has proven to a very good finisher. Played Pompey twice and showed themselves to be better than them both home and away. No other team in the division managed that this season. Deserved champions in my eyes at least.

Pompey's problem has been a consistency up front and potentially an over reliance in the first half of the season on Roberts. Smith was the striker brought in to lead the line and be the natural no.9 in Cook's system and by January he's shipped out on loan. Indeed barring a miracle at the end of the season the top scorer will have less than 15 goals and was struggling to get on the bench at the start of the season.
Last edited by Jack_Tinn on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

I would say we have been better than plymouth and should have got 6 points against them this season
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

richisbradders wrote:I would say we have been better than plymouth and should have got 6 points against them this season
but didn't even get 3

Indeed I'd argue that the table doesn't lie and there is not at lot of difference between Pompey and Plymouth. Both are prone to mistakes at the back and from the keeper. High quality midfield play but poor finishing sometimes lets them down. Strong managers always up for a fight who have a system and stick with it - regardless. A lot more comfortable playing away from home where teams coming onto them helps their style of play. Prone to the banana skin game at home. Both teams highly likely to score in the last ten minutes of the game.
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

As long as Plymouth don't win the league I don't really care though to be honest. Which unfortunately I can really see happening as their fixtures are much easier than Doncasters.
Lone Proton
Robbie Pethick

Post by Lone Proton »

Many independents who watched it on sky have told me we looked better than Plymouth. My view is an away draw is better than a Home draw. We'll see in 2 games time who's best as a league never lies.

Unlike a Cup. It goes without saying when we did Man U away in the Q finals there was no longer any doubt who deserved to win the FA cup that year. Bigly downer we lost money by winning FA cup.

Just how good does it feel to be out of 4th division still in with a chance, however slim, of finishing top

Don't lose the Faith until something is mathematically impossible.

Before then anything is possible. Fact :-)
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I wonder if Cook and the players know that this is the only division we have never won.....
Quantum of Stowmarket
Robbie Pethick

Post by Quantum of Stowmarket »

First of all congrats on the promotion, take it from someone who knows, you don't want to be involved in any play-off games.

Funny though, hadn't realised it was three automatic places in League Two until looking, would have assumed it was only two places like the higher tables. :?

Enjoy the summer even though it's one of those years where there's no international tournament, and make some good signings before August. Hope to have you have back in the Championship league as soon as possible although understand the premier league is where the real ambitions lie. It's getting back that's the hardest thing.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Quantum of Stowmarket wrote:Funny though, hadn't realised it was three automatic places in League Two until looking, would have assumed it was only two places like the higher tables. :?
It has been four teams promoted for decades from this tier. Pompey got promoted from Division Four in 1980 in 4th place.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

And now ha gonna believe us...

Could have done without the pilgrims winning but we just need a win at home and Donny and the pilgrims lose or draw ant that as they say, is that :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I will just leave this here with you all :-)

PUP
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Lone Proton
Robbie Pethick

Post by Lone Proton »

I love the smell of goals in the early evening. They smell of....Victory.

This time next year we're going to feel even better.

Well done Mr. Cook and the lads.

I like Mike :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The BBC claim that we are the 5th team to win all four divisions, but I can only find Wolves, Burnley and Preston before Pompey. Who am I missing, or is the BBC wrong?