Harry-non preferred

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Harry-non preferred

Post by Weybridge »

I love jingoism wrote:
... and chips wrote:
Evil Overlord Chainrai wrote:I think "Woy" (lol) is an extremely competent manager. If the FA are going to appoint an Englishman then he's one of the best around. It just strikes me that he isn't a man that has had much positive experience of dealing with footballing stars and their inflated egos.
Maybe he'll not pick those with inflated egos.
The biggest challenge for an England manager, in my opinion, is to get the best out of all these massive egos. That's why I believe Redknapp was the best man for the job.
Not picking players because of their egos would be a dereliction of duty and admission of inability to man-manage.
Trouble is the massive egos all but disappear when they arrive at the England training camp. Showing off is ok in front of lesser clubmates and among the public, but not alongside international teammates who are there on equal merit. They want respect from their peers so nobody screws up, and nobody shows off - but they all look to each other to lead. Because in a team full of arrogant pr1cks, nobody wants to be viewed as the biggest pr1ck.

I think this is the reason why England always look so hesitant - and why Redknapp would be the better choice. The biggest ego isn't on the pitch.
Last edited by Weybridge on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

上海 Blue wrote:For me Hodgson is the uninspiring / cheap choice. Yes he had a good record at the likes of Switzerland and Fulham, but he has never cut the mustard at that next level, anywhere. England face another few years in the mire and I am sure we will have another uninspiring tournament this summer

For all his faults, Harry is perfect for England and now was the right time, but I expect the FA didn't want to match his current salary and compensate Spurs
It wouldn't surprise me if Harry would do the job for peanuts, the ego-trip would've been good enough for him. Compensating Daniel Levy, there's the key........
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Jack Tinn
Mickey Quinn

Post by Jack Tinn »

Harry Redknapp quoted as saying:

"I like Roy, he's a top man and a good guy and I wish him great success.
"England have some fantastic players and I'm looking forward to the Euros.
"Life couldn't be better: the sun is shining, I'm in good health and I'm a very lucky man."

"I'm a very lucky man!" Mmmmm, not talking about dodging prison there Harry are you?
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

BaffinsBlue wrote:The Independent are speculating that there is some enmity between Trevor Brooking and Harry Redknapp.
Give that man a large loofah with all the extras! Rumour hath it that the sale of Rio Ferdinand to Leeds was involved and a large wedge of wonga disappeared down the back of the baggy cordouroy strides. Then of course the vintage Rosie47 would not have been a wine of choice for the men in blazers.........!
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

They wipe the floor with The Onion every damn time!
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Feck me the love in continues
SSN this morning reporting that one of the papers claim that the FS's treatment of HR is disgusting and that he deserved to be spoken to at least and that it is demeaning and shoddy that they have treated him this way.

What Way????

The fa never said they would talk to him, it was the media who had him all but installed the FA have done nothing wrong in my eyes.

Mick dennis also on bleating about good harry is at turning a team around. look at spurs he went in when they were bottom and look where they are now. Yeah look at how many of the players who were bottom are there now too, remember press monkeys there arent any transfers in international football.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Weybridge wrote:
Trouble is the massive egos all but disappear when they arrive at the England training camp. Showing off is ok in front of lesser clubmates and among the public, but not alongside international teammates who are there on equal merit. They want respect from their peers so nobody screws up, and nobody shows off - but they all look to each other to lead. Because in a team full of arrogant pr1cks, nobody wants to be viewed as the biggest pr1ck.

I think this is the reason why England always look so hesitant - and why Redknapp would be the better choice. The biggest ego isn't on the pitch.
Spot on! :thumb

It always appears to me that every player is so scared to make a mistake (probably because they remember the Beckham/GNeville headlines) that they never relax in tournaments.
Much as I dislike Harry, I think he would tell the players there's nothing to lose and the fact the papers have been full of Harry4England (TM) means he will be the fall guy should they fail, not the players necessarily.
I am me, the universe and you.
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

portchesterblue wrote:Feck me the love in continues
SSN this morning reporting that one of the papers claim that the FS's treatment of HR is disgusting and that he deserved to be spoken to at least and that it is demeaning and shoddy that they have treated him this way.

What Way????

The fa never said they would talk to him, it was the media who had him all but installed the FA have done nothing wrong in my eyes.

Mick dennis also on bleating about good harry is at turning a team around. look at spurs he went in when they were bottom and look where they are now. Yeah look at how many of the players who were bottom are there now too, remember press monkeys there arent any transfers in international football.
FFS ! When will it end, problem is now he is the "hero" figure and it will not go away unless Woy wins tournaments..
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

'arry would be 'appy at Poole Town!!!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 850558318A
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Pompski! wrote:
Weybridge wrote:

Spot on! :thumb

It always appears to me that every player is so scared to make a mistake (probably because they remember the Beckham/GNeville headlines) that they never relax in tournaments.
Much as I dislike Harry, I think he would tell the players there's nothing to lose and the fact the papers have been full of Harry4England (TM) means he will be the fall guy should they fail, not the players necessarily.
The tired cliche among the redtop hacks is that we would win every match and every cup if it weren't that the players can't be bothered with the national game and only put the effort in for their respective clubs.

All utter carp and I dump the blame at the feet of the hacks themselves. Every poor shot, botched tackle, poor corner (although repeatedly hitting the first man annoys me intensely), incomplete pass, every time they aren't ready and waiting at the end of a pass into the box etc is touted as evidence with the perpetrators thrown to the baying readers, pre-tournament hero's becoming mid-tournament zeroes.

How do we expect players to perform at their best when there is a lynch-mob sharpening pitchforks and tying nooses in the stands?