Harry-non preferred

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Harry-non preferred

Post by Mr Nuts »

Chortle,chortle !!!
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Even better in the papers this morning, it`s remarked that he was never even considered.
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

The Independent are speculating that there is some enmity between Trevor Brooking and Harry Redknapp.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

That was my first thought, especially now he has had the rather tough introduction that PFC is nowadays.

I'm not sure one way or the other, if he did decide to go back. I think he's done okay with the resources available, but then again, we did get relegated.
roubles wrote:So who would replace him at West Brom.... Michael Appleton might just be tempted, but would he have enough experience for them.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

Incredible saga.. after all who exactly said that Harry was the shoe-in choice ?? The poxy sports media and pundits who all suck him off as the saviour to English Football.

I am not saying he has not done some good things in football but other than Pompey promotions/escapes and FA Cup he has not exactly achieved footballing greatness yet has he ?

I feel a bit for Woy who, if he accepts the job might already have the nation and sports media against him before he starts. If he makes a hash then I am sure Sir Harry (bound to get knighted 'ain't he ?) will be there to step in for the World Cup qualifiers..
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Bernster wrote:Incredible saga.. after all who exactly said that Harry was the shoe-in choice ?? The poxy sports media and pundits who all suck him off as the saviour to English Football.

I am not saying he has not done some good things in football but other than Pompey promotions/escapes and FA Cup he has not exactly achieved footballing greatness yet has he ?

I feel a bit for Woy who, if he accepts the job might already have the nation and sports media against him before he starts. If he makes a hash then I am sure Sir Harry (bound to get knighted 'ain't he ?) will be there to step in for the World Cup qualifiers..
Woy was interviewed last August, and stated that he wouldn't take a "big" job unless he felt he had the backing of the press and the fans.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

I think "Woy" (lol) is an extremely competent manager. If the FA are going to appoint an Englishman then he's one of the best around. It just strikes me that he isn't a man that has had much positive experience of dealing with footballing stars and their inflated egos.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Evil Overlord Chainrai wrote:I think "Woy" (lol) is an extremely competent manager. If the FA are going to appoint an Englishman then he's one of the best around. It just strikes me that he isn't a man that has had much positive experience of dealing with footballing stars and their inflated egos.
Maybe he'll not pick those with inflated egos.
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

... and chips wrote:
Evil Overlord Chainrai wrote:I think "Woy" (lol) is an extremely competent manager. If the FA are going to appoint an Englishman then he's one of the best around. It just strikes me that he isn't a man that has had much positive experience of dealing with footballing stars and their inflated egos.
You mean he's going to select crap players? Hmm, interesting approach...
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

... and chips wrote:
The biggest challenge for an England manager, in my opinion, is to get the best out of all these massive egos. That's why I believe Redknapp was the best man for the job.
Not picking players because of their egos would be a dereliction of duty and admission of inability to man-manage.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Evil Overlord Chainrai wrote:
... and chips wrote:
Worked for Greece.
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

... and chips wrote:
Evil Overlord Chainrai wrote:
... and chips wrote:
Worked for Greece.
Well the Greeks didn't have the stars to begin with. They had a very rigid style in 04 and played it beautifully and surprised their opponents. England are never going to go in to a tournament playing that way. As puzzling says, it's about getting the best out of the best and having a guy that the team want to play for. I get the feeling Harry might be the kind of man the England players will respond to.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

I was kind of hoping he'd get the job and then when England failed to adjust to their opponents changing tactics mid game , then all the Pompey and Spurs fans could have chimed out together " We told you so - he doesn't have a plan B "

Good luck to Roy - did a sterling job with Fulham , and the same at West Brom . Not sure what happened at Liverpool because he made one or two very strange signings but he's English and very much worth a go in my opinion.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Bangkok blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Bangkok blue »

For me Hodgson is the uninspiring / cheap choice. Yes he had a good record at the likes of Switzerland and Fulham, but he has never cut the mustard at that next level, anywhere. England face another few years in the mire and I am sure we will have another uninspiring tournament this summer

For all his faults, Harry is perfect for England and now was the right time, but I expect the FA didn't want to match his current salary and compensate Spurs
Jack Tinn
Mickey Quinn

Post by Jack Tinn »

apparently the FA are down to the 'bare bones'