League one dates for your diary

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

League one dates for your diary

Post by stefeni »

From the OS

by Mark Storey

The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, the first round of the FA Cup, a glut of midweek games and no international breaks.
Get ready for League One.
For the first time in a generation the Blues are down in the third tier of English football, and life will be very different.
Back in their top-flight days Pompey played only 38 league games and entered the FA and League Cups at the later stages.
But next season the Blues will play 17 matches in the first 59 days of the season if they don’t get knocked out early in the cups.
Pompey take part in three cup competitions and are unlikely to get a weekend off all season unless they get knocked out in the first round of the FA Cup.
Pompey’s campaign is earmarked to start on Tuesday, August 14 with a League Cup first round game. Then three weeks later the Blues play their first ever Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie, again in midweek.
In the first nine weeks of the season there is only one guaranteed free midweek, in mid-September.
There are three international breaks, in September, October and March, but League One and Two sides still have fixtures to fulfil.
On the weekend of Saturday, November 3 Pompey will play their first FA Cup first round tie since a 4-1 win over Hereford in 1982.
The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, which is contested by the 48 League One and League Two sides, goes through four rounds before a two-legged regional final in February and a final at Wembley on April 7.
Pompey will be hoping to enjoy the luck of the draw and be one of the 16 clubs given a first round bye.
Blues fans are going to need stamina for the season ahead.
But, after what they’ve had thrown at them over the last few years, energy-wise at least it should be a doddle.

2012/13 key dates:Tuesday August 14: League Cup first round

Saturday August 18: League One season starts

Tuesday September 4: Johnstone’s Paint Trophy first round

Saturday November 3: FA Cup first round
Tuesday February 5: Johnstone’s Paint Trophy southern final first leg

Sunday February 24: League Cup final
Tuesday February 26: Johnstone’s Paint Trophy southern final second leg

Sunday April 7: Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final

Saturday April 27: League One season ends
Saturday May 4: League One play-off semi-final first leg

Tuesday May 7: League One play-off semi-final second leg
Saturday May 11: FA Cup final
Sunday May 19: League One play-off final
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
stefeni
Interim Manager

Re: League one dates for your diary

Post by stefeni »

Who's up for another trip to WEMBLEY two genuine routes for us next year either via the JPT Final or the play off final, you never know after all the termoil we have been through
Last edited by stefeni on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Super, Smashing, Great. Now let's look at what you could've won. :oops:
stefeni
Interim Manager

Post by stefeni »

Bluesbro' wrote:Super, Smashing, Great. Now let's look at what you could've won. :oops:

Well looking at your post code you would have wone the Caravan, as they only gave the speedboat to someone who lived nowhere near any water to use it on.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

stefien wrote:
Bluesbro' wrote:Super, Smashing, Great. Now let's look at what you could've won. :oops:

Well looking at your post code you would have wone the Caravan, as they only gave the speedboat to someone who lived nowhere near any water to use it on.
TBH the Caravan would've been just as much use, I don't drive so couldn't use either. :lol:
stefeni
Interim Manager

Post by stefeni »

Bluesbro' wrote:
stefien wrote:

TBH the Caravan would've been just as much use, I don't drive so couldn't use either. :lol:
That seemed to be the point of their star prizes. one couple won fitted kitchen having moved into a brand new house with a similar one already suplied. Saw an interview with Jim Bowen a number of years back where he admitted this was the normal policy as the winners would accept a lesser cash alternative off screen and they could use the prize again thus saving Central TV a lot of money.