Pirate Bay access

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Pirate Bay access

Post by Sam_Brown »

What worries me the most if we have an entire generation of young children who think pirating is the norm and is perfectly fine.

Piracy happens... I've done it myself so I'm going to be a hypocrite if I moan about it too much. My biggest issue isn't the fact people pirate. It's the fact they come up with all these silly excuses to try and justify it.

* Well I wasn't going to watch it anyway...
* It's too expensive...
* I shouldn't have to wait for it to come out over here...
* They make too much money...
* It's not theft...

If people want to steal then go for it... I'm not going to go on a little moral crusade because lengthy posts arguing for or against piracy are 2 a penny and a waste of time on the internet.

That being said I'll just add that regardless of why you do it the real reason that it's so prevalent isn't because of any self righteous idealogical ******... it's because...

A) It's so bl**dy easy and.
B) It's so easy to get away with it.

There are loads of laws people don't agree with but the reason they follow them is because it's so easy to get caught. You make it harder and you make it more likely to get caught for piracy and you'll soon find people stopping it... I don't think you'll find that many people who are so passionate about the rights to "pirate" that they'd risk going to prison or being fined over it.

And while you're always going to get your techy types out there trying to pirate and going to more and more extreme lengths... just by increasing the likely hood of being caught or making it more difficult you'll at least stop Mr and Mrs Smith in there 40's from doing it and you'll hopefully change the culture on it from one that "it's ok... everyone does it..." to one where people will hopefully be a little bit more weary of doing it and even if it doesn't stop it completely will at least cut it down.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Regarding comments that piracy prevents the extremely rich from getting richer, remember that each film project employs several hundred and not just the actors, directors and producers.

Then there are the employees of cinemas, legitimate film purchase/rental outlets...

(Only saying as didn't see that mentioned already.)

Also: http://www.bva.org.uk/news-press-releas ... eport-firs
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

Sam_Brown wrote:What worries me the most if we have an entire generation of young children who think pirating is the norm and is perfectly fine.

Piracy happens... I've done it myself so I'm going to be a hypocrite if I moan about it too much. My biggest issue isn't the fact people pirate. It's the fact they come up with all these silly excuses to try and justify it.

* Well I wasn't going to watch it anyway...
* It's too expensive...
* I shouldn't have to wait for it to come out over here...
* They make too much money...
* It's not theft...

If people want to steal then go for it... I'm not going to go on a little moral crusade because lengthy posts arguing for or against piracy are 2 a penny and a waste of time on the internet.

That being said I'll just add that regardless of why you do it the real reason that it's so prevalent isn't because of any self righteous idealogical ******... it's because...

A) It's so bl**dy easy and.
B) It's so easy to get away with it.

There are loads of laws people don't agree with but the reason they follow them is because it's so easy to get caught. You make it harder and you make it more likely to get caught for piracy and you'll soon find people stopping it... I don't think you'll find that many people who are so passionate about the rights to "pirate" that they'd risk going to prison or being fined over it.

And while you're always going to get your techy types out there trying to pirate and going to more and more extreme lengths... just by increasing the likely hood of being caught or making it more difficult you'll at least stop Mr and Mrs Smith in there 40's from doing it and you'll hopefully change the culture on it from one that "it's ok... everyone does it..." to one where people will hopefully be a little bit more weary of doing it and even if it doesn't stop it completely will at least cut it down.

Absolutely spot on, me hearty!

I've pirated, I've also commited loads of crimes ranging from taking a pen home from work to speeding. As I'm sure everyone has. I would be rather more concerned about people driving using a mobile phone than pirating.
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

The film industry needs to catch up with the music industry. The latter has developed a straightforward and relatively cheap way to legally download music - it is easier to log into iTunes than to set up a torrent. The film industry is catching up, and using the same methods but they've got the pricing wrong - it shouldn't be more expensive to watch a film at home than at the cinema ffs.

The music industry also doesn't insist on stupid, unskippable messages on their legal output - we paid for the bluray, why punish us with a poorly made advert trying to equate downloading a film with mugging an old woman!?!

Anyway, if anyone wants to enjoy a free film which is pretty good, check out Rising Tide on Vodo (it is free and legal to download - the makers just want people to watch it):

http://www.vodo.net/risingtide

If you liked it why not make a donation and help some local independent film makers make the sequel.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

... and chips wrote:The film industry needs to catch up with the music industry...
Agree much with this point. I know the artists don't get much from Spotify (or Itunes), but then I was surprised when CiLA told me of the artists cut from CD's - very small.

More surprised that I have one relative who downloads films, the very field she is hoping to break into!

Have downloaded one song illegally (knowingly) - that was for the kids, and we bought it later anyways. Not downloaded any films. Got patience, buy them on DVD, (often second hand).

Not expensive IMO. So I buy what I listen to or watch. Am "middle-aged" tho' (just!), so limited amount of artists! :D

But agree, some films may make massive amounts of money, but what of the independents? It's all change anyway with the rise of the internet sensations, but makes you wonder about the future.

P.S. On the tapes front. I was a dinlo and bought all my music on tape (child of the late 70's and 80's). Don't have much vinyl. I copied my vinyl to tape. But have maybe 4 or 500 original tapes. Those I still listen too, I've bought the CD's, and ripped to the PC. I do have the leads and a little tape player to convert if I wanted, but can't be bothered for the one track (on many of the tapes).

But I DO tape my new CD's - so I can play them in the car. (Only a tape player). Technically illegal - or not?
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Devil Avocado wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.
You never copied and album before on to a home cassette?

Can't speak for him but I have , and I have only ever used it for ME ( in the car etc ) or leant it to friends , If they choose to copy it , it is them breaking the law not me , and If I thought they would pirate it I would not lend it out in the first place .
As it goes, you are infringing copyright by lending the original.

where have i said i leant the original ?
Apologies, Jasper, I misread this bit
Stripey Cat Lover wrote:but I have , and I have only ever used it for ME ( in the car etc ) or leant it to friends ,
If the original is owned by you, and you have legally copied it to tape, lending the tape is still infringement of copyright. If the original is not owned by you, you are infringing copyright by taping it and by lending the copy.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour