Pirate Bay access

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Pirate Bay access

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Just one day after they shut off access to Pirate Bay in the UK, this site appeared:

http://tpb.pirateparty.org.uk/

So, a job well done then.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Pirate Bay access

Post by Sam_Brown »

It was always going to happen. At least is sends a message that they are finally doing something about all the piracy going on out there.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

Piracy is really making a huge dent in the industry too - they have to focus every effort that they can to stop it, and immediately. Just listen to this stat;

"Avengers Assemble became the first film to take $200.3 million at the US box office on its opening weekend, smashing a record previously held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."

How do they cope.
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

ddavis wrote:Piracy is really making a huge dent in the industry too - they have to focus every effort that they can to stop it, and immediately. Just listen to this stat;

"Avengers Assemble became the first film to take $200.3 million at the US box office on its opening weekend, smashing a record previously held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."

How do they cope.
For every film that does this there are literally thousands that lose money, since when did owning an intellectual property and trying to monetise it become a bad thing? When did the rights of someone too impatient to wait or tight to purchase become more important than those of the legal owner?
I hate the way this country has turned success and wealth in to a bad thing, are we now supposed to champion mediocrity or failure?
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

Wimbledon Blue wrote:For every film that does this there are literally thousands that lose money, since when did owning an intellectual property and trying to monetise it become a bad thing? When did the rights of someone too impatient to wait or tight to purchase become more important than those of the legal owner?
I hate the way this country has turned success and wealth in to a bad thing, are we now supposed to champion mediocrity or failure?
Not what I'm saying...

I'm saying that the problem isn't as prevalent as it's made out to be.

Pirate copies are generally poor, watched by people who can't afford to watch that film anyway. That's not about being tight, that's about them not having the money.

I've watched pirate material before. If I enjoyed the movie, I then make an effort to go and see it (or rent / buy it when it comes out).

The British TV industry practically encourages piracy. On the one hand you have Sky refusing to allow Virgin to show Sky Atlantic, on the other hand you have Virgin with lightning quick broadband advertised as perfect for 'streaming tv'. I wonder how that'll end...
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

ddavis wrote:
Wimbledon Blue wrote:For every film that does this there are literally thousands that lose money, since when did owning an intellectual property and trying to monetise it become a bad thing? When did the rights of someone too impatient to wait or tight to purchase become more important than those of the legal owner?
Not what I'm saying...

I'm saying that the problem isn't as prevalent as it's made out to be.

Pirate copies are generally poor, watched by people who can't afford to watch that film anyway. That's not about being tight, that's about them not having the money.

I've watched pirate material before. If I enjoyed the movie, I then make an effort to go and see it (or rent / buy it when it comes out).

The British TV industry practically encourages piracy. On the one hand you have Sky refusing to allow Virgin to show Sky Atlantic, on the other hand you have Virgin with lightning quick broadband advertised as perfect for 'streaming tv'. I wonder how that'll end...
I'm not a fan of Sky but Sky pay a lot of money for these rights, they are a subscription based channel whose one goal is to drive subscriptions, why should they allow their content to be shown on rival platforms?
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Wimbledon Blue wrote:I'm not a fan of Sky but Sky pay a lot of money for these rights, they are a subscription based channel whose one goal is to drive subscriptions, why should they allow their content to be shown on rival platforms?
I agree. Sky do need to be paying the BBC for access to their content and not as is presently the case the BBC paying for Sky's platform - what is it with Tories abusing the market...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:
Wimbledon Blue wrote:I'm not a fan of Sky but Sky pay a lot of money for these rights, they are a subscription based channel whose one goal is to drive subscriptions, why should they allow their content to be shown on rival platforms?
I agree. Sky do need to be paying the BBC for access to their content and not as is presently the case the BBC paying for Sky's platform - what is it with Tories abusing the market...
Aaaaaand it becomes another anti-Tory thread.

You haven't viciously plagiarised a Guardian/Economist article for a few hours, wassup wiv that?

Edit: Oops, my mistake: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... asitic-sky
Last edited by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife on Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

I agree with you on that point, the BBC needs to defend itself against competition and Sky should pay for the content they use, the BBC channels are by far the most watched on SKy, Virgin, BT, etc
The fact that the BBC pay Sky to let them show it is utterly ridiculous, i'm not sure that is a particular Conservative thing though, may well have come in to place during the last Labour administration.
Last edited by Chiswick Blue on Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Irony not your strong point is it Captain Google?
Last edited by Lost in Transportation on Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Wimbledon Blue wrote:The fact that the BBC pay Sky to let them show it is utterly ridiculous, i'm not sure that is a particular Conservative thing though, may well have come in to place during the last Labour administration.
It dates back to 1990 WB as a means to support the new platforms as they were. Basically indirect state support through the TV Licence. Whatever merits that had twenty years ago doesn't have credibility now. It should have been removed a long time ago.
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:Irony not your strong point is it Captain Google?
If you steal from many, it's 'Research'.
If you steal from one, it's 'Plagiarism'.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
What are you going on about?
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

Wimbledon Blue wrote:The fact that the BBC pay Sky to let them show it is utterly ridiculous, i'm not sure that is a particular Conservative thing though, may well have come in to place during the last Labour administration.
It dates back to 1990 WB as a means to support the new platforms as they were. Basically indirect state support through the TV Licence. Whatever merits that had twenty years ago doesn't have credibility now. It should have been removed a long time ago.

Totally agree, I think the competition has been given enough breaks, the BBC needs to be able to compete again.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that LIKW is not allowed to read things and then form an opinion?

You're barmy.