Pirate Bay access

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

comps66
Paul Merson

Re: Pirate Bay access

Post by comps66 »

Piracy is a huge problem and ever since electronic copies have become the norm it has spiraled out of control. The infringing copies are no longer poor quality with many criminal gangs gaining access to promotional copies of the film before release.
Come dvd/blue ray launch, factories in China produce near perfect copies to be sold on the black market. complete with authentic sleeves with holograms.

I don't buy this, "if I think its a good film, I'll buy/rent it", only a small minority may do this and would do nothing for the lost revenue of those that dont.

Yes, millions are made in the film industry, but also millions are lost!! how much did 'John Carter' loose, admittedly not through piracy but other films made by that studio have to pick up the shortfall.

Bladerunner - acknowledged as one of the classic sci-fi films of all time, nearly stopped shooting due to money running out.

The latest James Bond was delayed after the studio was forced to close.

Finally, if someone came to your place of work and stole all the big macs, because they thought you made enough profits already or just didn't want to pay for it - Would that be right?
Stand, Thats why they're called Stands!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

comps66 wrote:Piracy is a huge problem and ever since electronic copies have become the norm it has spiraled out of control. The infringing copies are no longer poor quality with many criminal gangs gaining access to promotional copies of the film before release.
Come dvd/blue ray launch, factories in China produce near perfect copies to be sold on the black market. complete with authentic sleeves with holograms.

I don't buy this, "if I think its a good film, I'll buy/rent it", only a small minority may do this and would do nothing for the lost revenue of those that dont.

Yes, millions are made in the film industry, but also millions are lost!! how much did 'John Carter' loose, admittedly not through piracy but other films made by that studio have to pick up the shortfall.

Bladerunner - acknowledged as one of the classic sci-fi films of all time, nearly stopped shooting due to money running out.

Finally, if someone came to your place of work and stole all the big macs, because they thought you made enough profits already or just didn't want to pay for it - Would that be right?

Take a bow :thumb
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

comps66 wrote:Piracy is a huge problem and ever since electronic copies have become the norm it has spiraled out of control. The infringing copies are no longer poor quality with many criminal gangs gaining access to promotional copies of the film before release.

I don't work in McDonalds.......... and as for John Carter - if they will insist on making really, really rubbish films, then they have to accept they may well go out of business - supply and demand, innit?
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Weybridge wrote:If Hollywood actually started making films again because they were good stories, and not just rehashes aimed at as many international markets as possible, I'd have a lot more sympathy. Last year there were 27 sequels. Of which only 9 were 2nd films. This isn't about loss of business, this is about loss of profit by mega-corporations. I realise independent films are struggling too, but its not because of piracy, its because the studios aren't interested in backing them in the first place.
Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Weybridge wrote:If Hollywood actually started making films again because they were good stories, and not just rehashes aimed at as many international markets as possible, I'd have a lot more sympathy. Last year there were 27 sequels. Of which only 9 were 2nd films. This isn't about loss of business, this is about loss of profit by mega-corporations. I realise independent films are struggling too, but its not because of piracy, its because the studios aren't interested in backing them in the first place.
Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.

Agree 100% .

On a different note , had an argument with people at work .

Colleague said his wife spilled wine on the carpet , so they claimed on house insurance about £1100.00 , he admitted they had NO INTENTION of renewing the carpet so went on holiday with the money .

When I argued that it is because of people like him that my insurance goes up every year , only 2 of the other 9 people in our group understood what I meant , makes me SICK .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

That's a good illustration of the difference between legality and morality, Jasper. It's a distinction which is too difficult for too many people to grasp, alas.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

An interesting debate.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a minute, Wimbles, Jasper et al in the anti-piracy league, you are saying that it is wrong to pirate (which it surely is) because this denies the film/music industry of their rightful income. Yet these people earn inordinately large sums of money anyway, so you are, in effect, defending their right to earn inordinately large sums of money.

Are you of the same opinion that footballers are not overpaid?

Something of a paradox, I would say, since we have had many a discussion here about whether footballers are right to be paid £100,000+ per week, on the basis that no-one needs that level of income, yet you are happy to defend, for example, Mel Gibson or Lady GaGa, earning similar (or probably higher) sums. Surely they don't need that level of income either?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

We live in a society where everyone feels entitled, they don't see why they can have what someone else has got irrespective of what someone else has done or achieved to obtain it themselves.
As my Nan used to say, people today know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Lockie, there is no mutual exclusivity there.
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

the_lock_man wrote:An interesting debate.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a minute, Wimbles, Jasper et al in the anti-piracy league, you are saying that it is wrong to pirate (which it surely is) because this denies the film/music industry of their rightful income. Yet these people earn inordinately large sums of money anyway, so you are, in effect, defending their right to earn inordinately large sums of money.

Something of a paradox, I would say, since we have had many a discussion here about whether footballers are right to be paid £100,000+ per week, on the basis that no-one needs that level of income, yet you are happy to defend, for example, Mel Gibson or Lady GaGa, earning similar (or probably higher) sums. Surely they don't need that level of income either?
I see no issue with some people earning large sums of money, fair play to them, once that individual has earned that money it is down to their own moral decision what to do with it.
I hate that we are starting to knock success in this country, maybe i spend too much time in the US where success is respected not hated.
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Wimbledon Blue wrote:

I see no issue with some people earning large sums of money, fair play to them, once that individual has earned that money it is down to their own moral decision what to do with it.
I hate that we are starting to knock success in this country, maybe i spend too much time in the US where success is respected not hated.
So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? (Remember the Devil's Advocate thing!)

Oh, and I think that in this country, success isn't hated, it's envied. Subtle yet valid difference.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Some of the people earn LOTS of money and good luck to them .

But as in all sports / entertainment , for every top player / Actor-actress earning tens of thousands each week , there are Thousands and Thousands barely earning enough to survive , in fact probaly having a full time job as well .

Films like Millions , Telephone booth ( spanish ) ,Would never have been made if it was not for the independant film industry , IF Piracy continues the small film makers will cease to exist & then we will know it !!!!!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Lockie, there is no mutual exclusivity there.
Not with you?
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

the_lock_man wrote:
Wimbledon Blue wrote:

So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? (Remember the Devil's Advocate thing!)

Oh, and I think that in this country, success isn't hated, it's envied. Subtle yet valid difference.
That's not the players fault !

And I can honestly say I have NEVER been offerd a fake Pompey ticket in my life :!:
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.
You never copied and album before on to a home cassette?