Pirate Bay access

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Pirate Bay access

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

the_lock_man wrote:
Wimbledon Blue wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:An interesting debate.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a minute, Wimbles, Jasper et al in the anti-piracy league, you are saying that it is wrong to pirate (which it surely is) because this denies the film/music industry of their rightful income. Yet these people earn inordinately large sums of money anyway, so you are, in effect, defending their right to earn inordinately large sums of money.

Are you of the same opinion that footballers are not overpaid?

Something of a paradox, I would say, since we have had many a discussion here about whether footballers are right to be paid £100,000+ per week, on the basis that no-one needs that level of income, yet you are happy to defend, for example, Mel Gibson or Lady GaGa, earning similar (or probably higher) sums. Surely they don't need that level of income either?
I see no issue with some people earning large sums of money, fair play to them, once that individual has earned that money it is down to their own moral decision what to do with it.
I hate that we are starting to knock success in this country, maybe i spend too much time in the US where success is respected not hated.
So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? (Remember the Devil's Advocate thing!)

Oh, and I think that in this country, success isn't hated, it's envied. Subtle yet valid difference.
Disagre completely .

In this country IF I won the euro millions , I would not want to buy a flash car for fear of it being scratched /Keyed , that is hatred , strangely enough I know that would not happen in the USA !
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

the_lock_man wrote:
So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? .[/quote]

sadly yes, it not TBH's fault, its the person offering him that sum of money that is at fault.
No professional footballer ever started to play football to become a role model or a paragon of virtue, in theory they will be paid what they are worth to the business.
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Devil Avocado wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.
You never copied and album before on to a home cassette?

Can't speak for him but I have , and I have only ever used it for ME ( in the car etc ) or leant it to friends , If they choose to copy it , it is them breaking the law not me , and If I thought they would pirate it I would not lend it out in the first place .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
In this country IF I won the euro millions , I would not want to buy a flash car for fear of it being scratched /Keyed , that is hatred , strangely enough I know that would not happen in the USA !
And because you'd look a knob... :wink:
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Devil Avocado wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:
And because you'd look a knob... :wink:

Well apart from that :roll: :wink:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Wimbledon Blue wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:An interesting debate.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a minute, Wimbles, Jasper et al in the anti-piracy league, you are saying that it is wrong to pirate (which it surely is) because this denies the film/music industry of their rightful income. Yet these people earn inordinately large sums of money anyway, so you are, in effect, defending their right to earn inordinately large sums of money.

Are you of the same opinion that footballers are not overpaid?

Something of a paradox, I would say, since we have had many a discussion here about whether footballers are right to be paid £100,000+ per week, on the basis that no-one needs that level of income, yet you are happy to defend, for example, Mel Gibson or Lady GaGa, earning similar (or probably higher) sums. Surely they don't need that level of income either?
I see no issue with some people earning large sums of money, fair play to them, once that individual has earned that money it is down to their own moral decision what to do with it.
I hate that we are starting to knock success in this country, maybe i spend too much time in the US where success is respected not hated.
So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? (Remember the Devil's Advocate thing!)

Oh, and I think that in this country, success isn't hated, it's envied. Subtle yet valid difference.
That's not the players fault !
It's not Mel Gibson's fault, either, as it goes, but who's fault it is, is immaterial. The paradox is that on the one hand, the consensus is that footballers don't need to earn the sums they do, and it is to the detriment of the sporting public that they do so. Then on the other hand, we have people saying how wrong it is for film stars and pop stars to be denied their rightful earnings. The fact that they do earn such vast sums means that prices at the box office or record store are higher, and this is to the detriment of the entertainment-buying public. Why is one set of high earnings to be applauded and defended, whilst the other is so often criticised?
Last edited by Locky_McLockface on Fri May 11, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Devil Avocado wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.

Can't speak for him but I have , and I have only ever used it for ME ( in the car etc ) or leant it to friends , If they choose to copy it , it is them breaking the law not me , and If I thought they would pirate it I would not lend it out in the first place .
As it goes, you are infringing copyright by lending the original.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Ronnie Pander
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ronnie Pander »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Devil Avocado wrote:

When I was an impecunious child virtually my entire music collection was copied tapes. Having access to the music in this way gave me the chance to enjoy it and becoming a little older and wealthier I went out and bought the albums on CD and subsequent ones from the same artists. That initial (illegal) exposure was crucial.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Wimbledon Blue wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
So you're quite happy for Tal Ben Haim to earn £36K per week, even though it's killing PFC? .
sadly yes, it not TBH's fault, its the person offering him that sum of money that is at fault.
No professional footballer ever started to play football to become a role model or a paragon of virtue, in theory they will be paid what they are worth to the business.[/quote]

You're in the minority, then, I think most Pompey fans are rather unhappy about that situation.

And I'll say again, whoever's at fault is immaterial.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Weybridge wrote:If Hollywood actually started making films again because they were good stories, and not just rehashes aimed at as many international markets as possible, I'd have a lot more sympathy. Last year there were 27 sequels. Of which only 9 were 2nd films. This isn't about loss of business, this is about loss of profit by mega-corporations. I realise independent films are struggling too, but its not because of piracy, its because the studios aren't interested in backing them in the first place.
Yes Hollywood as an industry is lazy and makes rubbish films, and yes there are not enough intelligent films made, but this is just a reflection of the society we currently live in, a society in which people are obsessed in the pursuit and worship of money and/or fame, and a society in which too many people are happy to both engage in and condone theft. And piracy is just another word for theft.
No doubt there. Unfortunately, Hollywood isn't offering alternatives in its output and hasn't since the writer's strike. They realised at that point it didn't matter what they produced - people were still going to the cinema. Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, et al all made huge profits. They figured out they didnt need writers, just a producer and the ability to rehash a previous moneyspinner.

To make matters worse there's this : Studios who buy up quality scripts with no intention of making the film just so rival studios can't make it (or have to pay through the nose for the rights). Or deliberately underfunding a film in production to make it so bad it kills the idea - so consequently won't be remade under another guise by someone else. Anything that cuts into the profit of The Sequel must be avoided or defeated.

I have no problem with selling art for profit, but this isn't it. This is the richest, most influential medium on the planet moaning that some people aren't paying for the work they themselves just photocopied anyway. People will always want something for nothing, unfortunately so do the movie studios.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

the_lock_man wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Lockie, there is no mutual exclusivity there.
Not with you?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there - I meant that you can object to people earning stupid amounts of money and object to pirating.
Devil Avocado wrote:You never copied and album before on to a home cassette?
Yes, of course I have and I will use the same Stephen Fry defence that you have used. I think there is a huge difference between songs and films, though. The quote from above sums this up nicely:-
comps66 wrote:I don't buy this, "if I think its a good film, I'll buy/rent it", only a small minority may do this and would do nothing for the lost revenue of those that dont.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Lockie, there is no mutual exclusivity there.
Not with you?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there - I meant that you can object to people earning stupid amounts of money and object to pirating.
OK, thanks. I would thoroughly agree with you. That wasn't my point. My point was about objecting to one set of people earning stupid amounts of money, but supporting a different set of people in their efforts to earn a stupid amount of money.
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

This is one of my films, cant see anyone wanting to pirate it, TBH i'm going to have enough problems getting retailers to stock it in the first place!
http://www.indiewire.com/article/watch- ... -then-some
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

Happy memories of trying to record Top 20 off the radio on a Sunday night, missing out all the talky bits at the start of each track.
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

the_lock_man wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Devil Avocado wrote:

As it goes, you are infringing copyright by lending the original.

where have i said i leant the original ?