explosion and fire in Williams garage!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

... and chips
Kev the Kitman

explosion and fire in Williams garage!

Post by ... and chips »

[youtube][/youtube]
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Re: explosion and fire in Williams garage!

Post by past memories »

Getting rid of evidence ?
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Williams's celebrations of first Grand Prix victory in eight years have been marred by injuries to four team members in a fire in the team's garage.

One of the Williams team has been taken to hospital, while four Caterham mechanics are being treated at the track's medical unit.

A Force India team member is also being treated on the site after suffering smoke inhalation.

The incident is believed to involve a Kers unit, which sparked a fuel fire.

Caterham, who occupied the garage next to Williams in the Circuit de Catalunya pit lane, have accounted for all their staff and explained that one of those injured had a minor hand injury, with three others suffering respiratory issues.

"Thanks for your best wishes to the team member who bravely went to fight the flames. He is being checked out in the circuit medical centre," read a Force India tweet.

The fire occurred after Williams's group photo commemorating Pastor Maldonado's victory , the Grove-based team's first since Juan Pablo Montoya's win in the 2004 Brazil Grand Prix.

Founder Frank Williams, whose family attended the race in celebration of his recent 70th birthday, was led to safety.

"I was there when [founder] Frank Williams was giving his speech to everyone," said Williams reserve driver Valtteri Bottas.

"I felt an explosion from behind, somewhere from the fuel area, and everyone ran out quickly."

Mechanics from several teams joined Williams's pit crew in attempting to extinguish the flames which sent smoke billowing across the paddock.

Maldonado's car was parked elsewhere awaiting post-race checks during the blaze, but the FW34 of team-mate Bruno Senna, who crashed out after 12 laps, was in the garage at the time.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Chopper Dave »

That'll be one of those cheap knockoff Chinese kers units, made by the Wan corporation.

Seriously though, hope everyone involved is ok.
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

We'll stay safe, but we'll make sure we have a camera down there.........

"You! Yes you oik! The one with the camera. Get into those flames and see what's going on peasant, while I stand back here somewhere safe"
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

So does a 'Kers unit' store the accumulated energy, when the car is going round the track? This is then what? - dissipated thru something, or 're-cycled'? Surprised when I heard it's next to the fuel tank (sorry, have no knowledge of the thing at all).

Hope the people are ok.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:So does a 'Kers unit' store the accumulated energy, when the car is going round the track? This is then what? - dissipated thru something, or 're-cycled'? Surprised when I heard it's next to the fuel tank (sorry, have no knowledge of the thing at all).

Hope the people are ok.
KERS = Kinetic Energy Recovery System. It takes the heat energy from braking, and basically charges a battery with it. The battery then increases the horsepower output, and therefore speed.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

I don't suppose these units are manufactured by a far-eastern company called Wan, by any chance?
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I don't suppose these units are manufactured by a far-eastern company called Wan, by any chance?
You`re a day late.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

pompeypanther wrote:
We'll stay safe, but we'll make sure we have a camera down there.........

"You! Yes you oik! The one with the camera. Get into those flames and see what's going on peasant, while I stand back here somewhere safe"

Just saw that , cheeky begger :!:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Chopper Dave »

past memories wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I don't suppose these units are manufactured by a far-eastern company called Wan, by any chance?
You`re a day late.
And it wasn't funny then either. Makes note to self - do not post after inhaling paint fumes all day and drinking Strongbow in the garden whilst recovering.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

the_lock_man wrote:KERS = Kinetic Energy Recovery System. It takes the heat energy from braking, and basically charges a battery with it. The battery then increases the horsepower output, and therefore speed.
Ah, clever, cheers TLM. So won't be long then (assuming growth in this field), 'till some giant hand will have to drag the cars back across the home straight 3 times, then let go?
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

past memories wrote:
You`re a day late.
Oops, sorry about that. In my defence, I'm on holiday in the Maldives again and, as you all know, the glare from the sun on the white sands makes it tricky to read the screen at times.

How'd I do, Kid?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
past memories wrote:
You`re a day late.
Oops, sorry about that. In my defence, I'm on holiday in the Maldives again and, as you all know, the glare from the sun on the white sands makes it tricky to read the screen at times.

How'd I do, Kid?
:thumb
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour