WTF!!!! Olympic Torch sales

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

WTF!!!! Olympic Torch sales

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Apparently, one has already sold on Ebay today for £150,400 (plus £20 P&P) and there are severaal more listed, including this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-O ... 3a74b7dc35 on which bidding is already over £100k!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: WTF!!!! Olympic Torch sales

Post by Portchester PFC »

The thing is with that one you have shown is that the runner is not due to run with it until June, so if i were the olympic chaps i would cancel his run and give it to some other deserving person !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I think some of these people are donating the money they receive to charity. Some people have more money than sense, perhaps we should ask them if they'd like to buy a football club ;-)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Selsey Bill wrote:I think some of these people are donating the money they receive to charity. Some people have more money than sense, perhaps we should ask them if they'd like to buy a football club ;-)
Very few of those I've looked at, Bill, and those that are seem to be donating around the 5 - 10% mark. If ALL the proceeds went to a nominated charity (directly from Ebay through their 'Ebay for Charity' scheme) then I wouldn't have a problem, but some of these people are simply doing it for personal gain (aka greed). Makes you wonder how they got chosen to carry the torch in the first place!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Portchester PFC wrote:The thing is with that one you have shown is that the runner is not due to run with it until June, so if i were the olympic chaps i would cancel his run and give it to some other deserving person !
Totally agree mate :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:I think some of these people are donating the money they receive to charity. Some people have more money than sense, perhaps we should ask them if they'd like to buy a football club ;-)
Very few of those I've looked at, Bill, and those that are seem to be donating around the 5 - 10% mark. If ALL the proceeds went to a nominated charity (directly from Ebay through their 'Ebay for Charity' scheme) then I wouldn't have a problem, but some of these people are simply doing it for personal gain (aka greed). Makes you wonder how they got chosen to carry the torch in the first place!
If that is the case Sherl, then I think it is totally crass and completely goes against the grain. As you say, makes you wonder how they got the gig in the first place.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

girl who ran down in cornwall and has sold hers for £150k has donated it all to charity, just been on the radio
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

portchesterblue wrote:girl who ran down in cornwall and has sold hers for £150k has donated it all to charity, just been on the radio
Fair play to her, but doesn't seem to be the case with many of the listings.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Good on them. They are entering fully into the spirit of the Olympic Games*.

*am i allowed to use that term? Or will i be sued by one of the multinational corporations sets to make millions from being a partner?
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

The ones that are selling for high amounts are for charity and fair play to them. Fair play to those making a profit for themselves too.

However, the Olympic committee are selling them to runners at a massive loss. AFAIK, they cost >£400 to make and are selling them for £299? I don't see the point here. If they were tryong to raise money then are failing, if they are not then why not just have one torch which gets passed around?

If I had one, I'd sell it on eBay for sure. It's no different from former athletes selling their medals and memorabilia.
I am me, the universe and you.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompski! wrote:The ones that are selling for high amounts are for charity and fair play to them. Fair play to those making a profit for themselves too.

However, the Olympic committee are selling them to runners at a massive loss. AFAIK, they cost >£400 to make and are selling them for £299? I don't see the point here. If they were tryong to raise money then are failing, if they are not then why not just have one torch which gets passed around?

If I had one, I'd sell it on eBay for sure. It's no different from former athletes selling their medals and memorabilia.
Bidding currently at £125,100 and no mention of any of it going to charity http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-O ... 3a74b7dc35

The trouble is, only 2012 of the 8,000 were selected from the 28,000 nominated for being "people who had made significant personal achievements or contributions to their local communities". Unfortunately, the other 5,988 were chosen by sponsors.
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Sit at home looking at your Olympic torch or flog it for 150G's to maybe by a house, travel the world or just have shed loads of fun ? hmmm ...
PUP_Macs_Wallet
Gary O'Neil

Post by PUP_Macs_Wallet »

And some made a bid for one on Ebay .. great sums were bid .. but not many noticed that it said in tiny words under the photo of the item that they were bidding for a photo of the torch. Such is greed and avarice!
It's me I'm Mo ...... :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 ... short for Maureen

Making stealth submissions to the The Word Association Thread since 2012
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Amazing! Can't believe that many will sell for 6 figures though surely?

This is my favourite though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympic-2012- ... 27c7439190
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Albie McCann's Legs

Post by Albie McCann's Legs »

I've got an Every Ready torch, wonder what's that's worth? :lol: