New FP pitch

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

New FP pitch

Post by Chiswick Blue »

"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
jambon
Robbie Pethick

Re: New FP pitch

Post by jambon »

I find it a bit bizaar getting pictures of the new pitch on my fb page all the time, when what we really want to know is, will there be anyone to play on it come August?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

jambon wrote:I find it a bit bizaar getting pictures of the new pitch on my fb page all the time, when what we really want to know is, will there be anyone to play on it come August?
Given that Trev has authorised spending £12K on getting it done, I would suggest that he, at least, is very confident that there will be. I appreciate that we can't currently afford them, but we do still have a squad contracted to play for us. If they don't leave by the time of the first fixture, then I would assume that they will be expected to play.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Don't know much about football pitches, but do they always relay them at the end of the season? From where I was sat at the last home game, North Stand Lower, I thought the pitch was in superb condition. Surely some aeration, fertilization and watering could have saved us the best part of £12k?
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Selsey Bill wrote:Don't know much about football pitches, but do they always relay them at the end of the season? From where I was sat at the last home game, North Stand Lower, I thought the pitch was in superb condition. Surely some aeration, fertilization and watering could have saved us the best part of £12k?
Maybe a contract?
I am me, the universe and you.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompski! wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Don't know much about football pitches, but do they always relay them at the end of the season? From where I was sat at the last home game, North Stand Lower, I thought the pitch was in superb condition. Surely some aeration, fertilization and watering could have saved us the best part of £12k?
Maybe a contract?
Don't think so, that's not the inferrence that I made when talking to the groundsman.

It is something they like to do every year, I presume it has significant benefits. Last year, as I recall, where we had a very dry (just not that warm) summer, they were sweating on the grass actually growing in time. IIRC, they can't fertilise it until the seeds have germanated, otherwise the seeds go mouldy and don't germanate at all. THey didn't have the rainfall to get th seed to germanate. I don't recall all the technicalities, but that was the general gist of it.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

the_lock_man wrote:IIRC, they can't fertilise it until the seeds have germanated, otherwise the seeds go mouldy and don't germanate at all. THey didn't have the rainfall to get th seed to germanate. I don't recall all the technicalities, but that was the general gist of it.
Correct. Sort of, anyway. You 'can' fertilise on the same day but it's advised against.