From the Snooze (Wednesday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooze (Wednesday)

Post by stefeni »

THE race is on for the Pompey Supporters’ Trust to make its move to buy the club out of administration.Accountancy firm PKF said a bid from Balram Chainrai’s company Portpin to buy Pompey should be complete by the end of the week.

Pompey’s many creditors will then be sent a copy of the bid proposals, along with an invitation to a meeting to discuss them.

The bid will be presented by Pompey’s administrator Trevor Birch as the only way for creditors to get their money back – unless the Pompey Supporters’ Trust can make its counter bid in the meantime.

The PKF spokesman added: ‘The clock is ticking for the trust’s bid, not only because the Portpin bid is being finalised, but because the club is running short of funds.

‘If they take too long, the club will run out of money.’

The call comes as it emerged a consortium fronted by venture capitalists Brett De Bank and Simon Cavalier-Jones has backed out following meetings with Mr Chainrai.

Mr De Bank is a University of Portsmouth graduate in finance and banking and says he is a regular at Fratton Park.

He is understood to have walked away from the deal after Mr Chainrai demanded payment of £16m for the stadium, according to the Daily Telegraph.

But, as previously reported in The News, it is understood that Mr De Bank’s group had not even jumped through the first hoop of football club ownership by proving they have enough money to pay for it and secure its future.

A spokesman for PKF said Mr Chainrai’s bid to buy the club, which has not yet been finalised, should see creditors getting more than 2p for every £1 they are owed.

He added: ‘We cannot provide any more details at this stage until the proposals are finalised.

‘As the Chainrai team said on Friday, they realise that the club will only have value if it is successful.

‘He wants to turn things around at Pompey and for the club to regain its rightful position.

‘He will also need to give the Football League some comfort that he has the means to run it on a profitable basis going forward, and the Football League will be very mindful of the club’s history when they look at the business plan

Ricardo Rocha faced up to his disappointing Fratton exit and insisted: Pompey will forever be in my heart.The fans’ favourite discovered he was leaving the club after reading The News on Monday, when we revealed the 33-year-old had been released by the Blues.

That was along with Jamie Ashdown and Benjani, as boss Michael Appleton attempts to overhaul his squad for League One.

In addition, Ashdown’s wife, Zoe, insisted on Twitter that her husband also learned of his departure from this paper.

For Rocha, though, the decision was not entirely unexpected and brings to an end a two-and-a-half year stay which saw him become a popular figure at Fratton Park.

The cultured defender made 76 appearances amid some memorable highs and woeful lows since joining on a free transfer in February 2010.

He was man of the match as Avram Grant’s side defeated Spurs at Wembley to reach the 2010 FA Cup final – but also endured administration and two relegations.

Rocha, though, is adamant it has been a ‘pleasure’ to represent Pompey.

And for the ex-Portugal international, the club will always remain close to him.

He said: ‘It has been an amazing experience here.

‘I have been through a lot with the club, such as the second time in administration but there was the FA Cup final and the FA Cup semi-final. So many good memories.

‘There have been bad times, but those bad days don’t kill you, they make you stronger.

‘And the fans, well, they have been fantastic to me ever since I got here and I would really like to thank them for making me feel so welcome.

‘It was always a pleasure – in fact, a big pleasure – to play at Fratton Park with them on my side giving the team their support.

‘I thought I might not get a new contract but I also thought I deserved a phone call instead of reading it in the paper.

‘You expect people to say something to me.

‘But that’s football. People have to do their job and it can be difficult.

‘The most important thing for the club is to keep working and staying alive for the fans – this club is all about the fans.

‘I am a Pompey supporter and always will be. They will stay in my heart forever.’

Rocha made 35 appearances this term and once again impressed in the centre of the Pompey defence.

His performances earned him the Northern Blues supporters’ club player of the season award.

However, with Appleton eager for a fresh look to his squad next season, the defender had to make way.

Yet Rocha has nothing but praise for his ex-manager.

He added: ‘Michael has been unbelievable.

‘Unfortunately for him, once he got into the club the problems started with administration and points deduction.

‘But he has the ability to take them back to the Championship and Premier League.’

Pompey are eyeing up a move for Leeds striker Billy Paynter.The former Swindon man was put on the transfer list earlier this month.

Despite a year remaining on Paynter’s contract, Leeds boss Neil Warnock is believed to be open to letting him leave for nothing in a bid to remove him from the Elland Road wage bill.

The situation has alerted the Blues, with Michael Appleton seeking to rebuild his squad.

Pompey’s manager is eager to recruit 18 new players this summer. And with his proven scoring pedigree in League One, Paynter fits the bill.

The 27-year-old joined Leeds in June 2010 after a prolific spell at Swindon, where he scored 51 goals in 137 matches.

Yet his time in west Yorkshire has proven to be a tremendous disappointment, dogged by injury and poor form as he failed to recapture his best.

Paynter scored twice against Peterborough in the penultimate game of Leeds’ season. That took his career tally for the club to three goals in 28 matches.

He also endured an unproductive loan spell at Brighton midway through the campaign, failing to net in 10 games with the Seagulls.

Regardless, the striker has impressive scoring records at both Swindon and Port Vale in the lower divisions.

Appleton may believe he can provide the stage for Paynter to flourish again.

Izale McLeod is another striker who has been linked with Pompey.

The 27-year-old scored 22 goals for Barnet in League Two this season.

Yet he is now a free agent after his contract expired and has elected to leave the club for a fresh challenge.

Earlier in his career, McLeod netted 60 times in 135 matches at MK Dons, earning him a £1.1m move to Charlton.

Stephen Henderson is now a Premier League goalkeeper, having climbed those Wembley steps a winner.An exciting future awaits the 24-year-old who, only a matter of years ago, was turning out for Weymouth in non-league football.

Yet he remains angry.

The simmering Irishman can’t ignore the heart-breaking plight of the club he left behind to follow his Premier League dream.

Pompey are no longer Henderson’s concern. Effectively, his time there ended on March 12 when his initial emergency loan deal to the Hammers was sealed.

Granted, Fratton Park may be out of sight. However, for Henderson it is not out of mind.

The keeper arrived last summer as part of CSI’s much-trumpeted era to produce stability and an infrastructure to be proud of.

It didn’t happen that way and, as another financial crisis hit Pompey, the free transfer from Bristol City was one of a number of players shipped out on loan to bring in crucial revenue.

He this week completed his Upton Park move in a reported £600,000 deal, just days after watching the Hammers win the Championship play-off final from the bench.

For Henderson, though – a player who became a fans’ favourite in such a short space of time at Fratton – the sad demise of Pompey still occupies his thoughts.

He said: ‘I’m still upset about the whole Portsmouth situation. It still gets me angry just talking about it. It’s just frustrating. Some people have a lot to answer for.

‘I actually spoke to Appy at the play-off final. We had a good chat and he was telling me what’s going on.

‘My affection for the club was there for everyone to see. It’s a family club and the fans really took to me – I was very grateful.

‘So it is a tragedy what has happened, I wouldn’t wish what happened at that club on anyone.

‘The fans are the best, the absolute best. When I was there I could see myself staying there for as long as I could. I was playing and enjoying it.

‘I am not chatting rubbish, that is the way it is. I love every player there but surely the people in charge knew something like this was going to happen?

‘The players are probably worth what they are on in most other teams, but it was never going to work at Portsmouth and that is the fault of people at the top.

‘It actually goes back as far as players on £80,000-90,000-a-week contracts in the Premier League. People were on money they should not have been and the club continues to suffer.

‘When we went into administration, coming in every day was just horrible. It was not a nice environment and it ends up affecting your personality.

‘I was a lot more snappy coming home to my girlfriend. I took my work home. I was worrying about the future of the club and finding out maybe I had to leave when I didn’t want to.

‘Like I said, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.’

Henderson’s Pompey career would last for just 27 matches.

Nonetheless, he impressed during that time, prompting West Ham to swoop despite already having Robert Green as their keeper.

Henderson added: ‘I will never, ever forget the fans from the bottom of my heart.

‘I remember at Chelsea, even though we got battered, the fans sung “We’re going to win 5-4”.

‘There was the Wolf Pack, too. Greg Halford tried to get in but we were having none of it. It was me, Joel (Ward) and Jason (Pearce). The three of us are very close.

‘You don’t really make many mates for life in football but I can say I definitely have with those two. And who knows, one day I could be back at Portsmouth.’

Chris Maguire has been put up for sale by Derby.The Scottish striker was tremendously impressive during a 10-game loan spell at Pompey at the end of the season.

But after returning to Pride Park, he has been deemed surplus to requirements by Nigel Clough, barely 12 months after arriving at the Championship side.

Maguire is one of five players Derby are looking to cash in on as they attempt to raise money for transfers this summer.

Clough, however, would be keen to recoup much of the £400,000 in compensation they paid to Aberdeen for Maguire last summer.

That is likely to rule out any prospect of a return to Fratton Park considering the Blues’ financial situation.

It is understood Derby’s desire to boost their transfer kitty would also rule out the option of a loan deal anywhere.

That is unless there are still no permanent offers closer to next season.

In the meantime, Maguire joins James Bailey, Miles Addison, Lee Croft and Steve Davies, who has rejected a new deal, in being available for transfer.

Rams boss Clough said: ‘Chris Maguire had a good month or two at Portsmouth and so that helped his profile.

‘Miles and Crofty have not really featured for us in the past season and have a year left on their contracts, so it stands to reason with things being a bit tight that we cannot carry too many on the fringes of the squad.

‘And James Bailey falls into that category a little bit as well because he has got a year left on his contract.’

Maguire hit three goals during his time on the south coast, including a stunning strike in the 2-2 derby draw at Southampton.

The Scot became a big Fratton favourite during his loan spell, scoring three goals in the process.

Yet he remains fifth-choice striker for the Rams.

With Clough seeking to raise funds, he has decided Maguire is a player he can afford to be without.

The Derby manager has earmarked bringing in three or four new signings to bolster his squad.
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.