Watch tonight's (wed) Newsnight

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Watch tonight's (wed) Newsnight

Post by ... and chips »

even if you don't normally, the debate at the end of the show between Paul Krugman (keynesian economist) and two austerians is top notch. It's about achieving economic growth.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Watch tonight's (wed) Newsnight

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Paul Krugman was top notch tonight in pointing out some basic truths about economies. I loved the two impossible things scenario he drew re the Euro crisis.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Harry Harris Left Hook
Alan Knight

Post by Harry Harris Left Hook »

I like Krugman's work but it is essentially that of an American liberal. Another scenario (number 3) is that Germany leaves the Euro.

Number 4 is that Germany remembers it own history and founds a New Marshall Plan for the southern Eurozone, which it substanstially funds, along with France and Benelux. (After all, the USA paid for West Germany's recovery after its peopel had committed the worst war crimes in human history - who are they to lecture the Greeks over tax and revenue incontinence??)

Also bear in m ind that the Germans and the French let the Greeks into the Euro knowing their financial information was all balls; and that those countries also changed the Euro rules when they could not meet them; and that they all - of their own free will - signed a treaty on the Euro with no exit and no expulsion.
Lately it occurs to me ... what a long, strange trip it's been
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Harry Harris Left Hook wrote:I like Krugman's work but it is essentially that of an American liberal. Another scenario (number 3) is that Germany leaves the Euro.

Number 4 is that Germany remembers it own history and founds a New Marshall Plan for the southern Eurozone, which it substantially funds, along with France and Benelux. (After all, the USA paid for West Germany's recovery after its people had committed the worst war crimes in human history - who are they to lecture the Greeks over tax and revenue incontinence??)

Also bear in mind that the Germans and the French let the Greeks into the Euro knowing their financial information was all balls; and that those countries also changed the Euro rules when they could not meet them; and that they all - of their own free will - signed a treaty on the Euro with no exit and no expulsion.
Your number 4 was in the first impossible scenario Krugman described. I suspect he would subscribe your third scenario as an improbable scenario though simply due to the time constraints and that there still would have to be funding by Germany in order to achieve a German exit.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.