Kanu wants a full pay off

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Kanu wants a full pay off

Post by Chiswick Blue »

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-3907765

Playing devil's advocate though why shouldn't he get what was agreed?
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
BlueinMontreal
Gary O'Neil

Re: Kanu wants a full pay off

Post by BlueinMontreal »

Wimbledon Blue wrote:http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-3907765

Unfortunatly, due to football league rules, players have now become bigger than the clubs they play for. I think in matters such as this there should be an arbitration route available. I thank Kanu for his past service but this is a player who very rarely trains, due to back problems, and hasnt featured at all in MA's teams. Please Kanu, retire gracefully before your name turns to Pompey mud.
Co-Author of "Montreal International Firework Competition"
Regular price $30.00 Now ON SALE $20.00
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Morally, of course he's entitled to it - he's already renegotiated his deal as well.

But we're not talking about a moral conundrum, we're talking about a practical one. Him, and particularly TBH, a the difference between a viable club and a liquidated one. It's probably a bit of brinkmanship between Trev and the agents, certainly judging by the language used by Trev in the article (eg "Our friend Ben Haim"). Ultimately, they will have to compromise, because they, like Chainrai, stand to get their fair share of nothing, if the club is liquidated. And their agents will know that too.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Public sector workers tried that line with their pensions. Apparently agreements are worth anything these days.
redman With A Blue Ticket
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by redman With A Blue Ticket »

players are bigger than the clubs
Exactly that. As a player its probably his last payday and he knows it. He is going to get as much money as he can.

The arguement that many will make of "he has earnt money enough in his career already" isn't much of an arguement when being used for someone who has pumped a lot of money into african charitys and foundations either. I wouldn't be surprised to see a chunk of the money he is making from Pompey going towards this in the future.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Isn't this just an opening bid in response to Chainray's gimme eighteen million?
There are still the parachute payments to be divied-up by the "big *****" while the local tradesman and charities sit on the sidelines waiting for the crumb that never comes.

So may turds no wonder the system stinks.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

Still trying to understand this Kanu article.

We were told that he's on £8k per week (over 3 years) from day one. £8k per week = £400,000 per year.

Is his 'reduced by relegation' contract really only 25% less? Why bother?
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

just revisited this and it occurs to me that if he can't perform then he has to accept a retirement pay off otherwise Appleton should play him every week to get our money's worth
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Purbrook Chimes wrote:just revisited this and it occurs to me that if he can't perform then he has to accept a retirement pay off otherwise Appleton should play him every week to get our money's worth
I'd get Kanu and TBH in, sit them down and tell them they'll be playing every week. Kanu wouldn't be capable of playing a whole season and TBH wouldn't fancy it.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

pompski mackov wrote:
Purbrook Chimes wrote:just revisited this and it occurs to me that if he can't perform then he has to accept a retirement pay off otherwise Appleton should play him every week to get our money's worth
I'd get Kanu and TBH in, sit them down and tell them they'll be playing every week. Kanu wouldn't be capable of playing a whole season and TBH wouldn't fancy it.
And i would train the **** off the pair of them as well, if they can't fullfill the training and games then they should be considered in breach of contract and dismissed.
Heaven's Light Our Guide