From the Snooze (Monday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooze (Monday)

Post by stefeni »

Pompey fans expecting an easy return to the Championship have been warned: Forget it.A tough campaign in the English game’s third tier lies in wait for Michael Appleton’s side next season, according to one of the Blues’ former heroes.

Steve Claridge has predicted a challenging campaign as the team he managed and played 104 times for adjust to life in League One.

Pompey will be playing their first season at that level for 29 years, as Appleton undertakes a complete squad overhaul.

And even if the club can come through their latest financial crisis, anyone expecting the team to tear through the division has been told it will not happen.

Claridge, who works as a Football League expert for the BBC, said: ‘I don’t think they are going to bounce back easily.

‘I don’t think that will be the case. I think it will be a tough year.

‘If they can’t keep the players they have, it’s going to be hard. I don’t think it’s a case of just turning up.

‘It’s going to be a really difficult season.

‘They had a top-three budget and were bottom six for most of last season.

‘How much togetherness is there and how much do these people want to be at Portsmouth Football Club now?

‘They will expect to be competitive but people really shouldn’t think Pompey will just have to turn up.

‘I think people should realise it is going to be a tough year. No-one should be taking it for granted.’

Claridge believed the encouraging news for Pompey was they would be entering a division that will be weaker than it was last season.

The promotion of Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and Charlton takes three heavy-hitters out of the equation.

Claridge reckons MK Dons and Sheffield United are two sides to look out for.

He said: ‘Karl Robinson’s done a brilliant job at MK Dons. You have to also look at Sheffield United.

‘Doncaster are much of a muchness and so are Coventry from the Championship.

‘The teams who have got out of the division are stronger than the teams coming into the division, so there is that.

‘Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and Charlton are three big clubs – three biggies.

‘In fact, it’s a good time to be in there because those who have gone out are financially bigger, shall we say, than those coming in.

‘It’s not a bad time to be in there, in that respect.’

For Joel Ward it is a new start – and the chance to finally fulfil his desire to carve out a career at right-back.The Emsworth youngster has brought to an end 14 years at Pompey with a switch to Crystal Palace.

It represents a sad farewell, yet one driven by necessity for both player and club as they head in different directions.

The indications are Ward will replace in-demand Nathaniel Clyne at right-back for the Eagles.

Coveted by a number of Premier League clubs, Clyne is out of contract and expected to leave Selhurst Park this summer.

That anticipated scenario has resulted in his spot being earmarked for the 22-year-old newcomer.

During the past two seasons, Ward has established himself as a genuine utility man at Fratton Park amid good reviews.

It’s a versatility which has seen him operate in six different positions and chalk up 96 appearances and six goals for the Blues.

For Ward, though, right-back has always been his favoured position, a role he featured in for just eight matches last season.

Even his Pompey farewell was spent at left-back at Nottingham Forest in the final match of the Championship campaign.

Now at last he has his opportunity as he looks to his football future.

He said: ‘For me, now I would like to finally make a position my own.

‘If I am wanted in other roles I will do that, as it is for the good of the team.

‘I am used to that and it is not something I would object to. But I feel it is time I tried to make that right-back slot my own.

‘That is where I see my future and I want to keep raising the bar.

‘That is where I believe Dougie Freedman wants me to play and I am going to work hard and give it all I have got.

‘Often in games for Pompey my position was tactical but right-back is my preferred position – that is what I believe I am natural at.

‘There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of years where people see me playing and my best position – I still see that as being at right-back.

‘I have been blessed and so lucky to have played the games I have over the last few years in so many different positions.

‘It has helped me develop and as a student of the game that is so important.

‘I have done that now, though, and shown my flexibility in various positions. Now I’m looking to establish myself as a right-back.’

Such has been Ward’s key role during the past two campaigns, he has featured in 88 of Pompey’s last 92 matches.

He ended last season at right-back for five of the last six matches as Michael Appleton gave him a run in his preferred role.

The Blues boss has admitted he would have made that the south-coast hero’s regular position had he remained at Fratton Park.

Regardless, Ward has savoured his time at his home-town club.

He added: ‘It has been fantastic playing for Pompey and I really appreciate everyone’s support.

‘The fans have always been there, through some difficult times, and I would like to thank them for that. As players we really appreciate it.

‘It has been a big decision and one I definitely haven’t taken lightly.

‘I have been at Pompey nearly all my life.

‘Now I’m looking to the future and I’m looking forward to starting at Palace.’
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: From the Snooze (Monday)

Post by Selsey Bill »

Steve Claridge = First Class Tw*t
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:Steve Claridge = First Class Tw*t
Paid to be one as well...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

I always get the impression he has some grudge against Pompey, rarely has anything positive to say, mind you, these days that is a hard ask..
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
PFC_Livinginwales
Collins Mbesuma

Post by PFC_Livinginwales »

Always fast forward when he's about to speak