Tick Tock Lindy Hop......

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Re: Tick Tock Lindy Hop......

Post by Pompey Gary »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:Agree, I like yer stats, but, (IMHO) Barker didn't do badly at all for us (just in terms of players in)
Maybe he'd make a decent scout? Because as Awford's Pompey team have proved, he sure ain't a manager...
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

blue architect wrote:
ddavis wrote: We won't go up winning 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 all the time. It isn't feasible. So we still need to find a balance between attacking and defending.
Derrrrr. If we win all the time then we will go up. I'm not being thick here am I?
No, no you're not. And 10 goals for and 4 against in 4 matches seems like a pretty good balance between attack and defence to me. Some people always like to pick holes!
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

I think the tweet by Sonny Bradley after (I believe ) the second of our four victories summed up the situation perfectly

"Same players - different team "
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Well Peeps - some players I do not think will be retained at season's end, assuming Awfs gets the job which he deserves:

, Racon, Padovani, Jervis, Craddock, Connolly,Painter, Mouataouakil, Agyemang and strangely enough Ben Chorley!

I believe Awfs will go for a blend of experience and youth - most of the above are either ageing journeymen or injury prone. In the case of Ben Chorley, the red mist is a worry and I think because of this, Awfs doesn't fancy him that much - although fit, not even on the bench. Let's see if he plays at Northampton? There are a couple of loanees that are interesting as well, but I think Awfs will have his own ideas once he sees the budget allocated for next season.......
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

Pompey Gary wrote:
blue architect wrote:
ddavis wrote: We won't go up winning 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 all the time. It isn't feasible. So we still need to find a balance between attacking and defending.
Derrrrr. If we win all the time then we will go up. I'm not being thick here am I?
No, no you're not. And 10 goals for and 4 against in 4 matches seems like a pretty good balance between attack and defence to me. Some people always like to pick holes!
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

By all accounts we had a great deal of luck in both the Dagenham game and the Bristol game.

My point is that luck doesn't last a season.

I'd much rather we were winning 2-0 / 3-0 than 2-1 / 3-2 (and so on).

Newport was a nervy finish. Hartlepool was a nervy finish. Rovers was a nervy finish. We need to remove the nervy finishes, and close games out (like we did at Dagenham) consistently.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

ddavis wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
blue architect wrote:
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

By all accounts we had a great deal of luck in both the Dagenham game and the Bristol game.

My point is that luck doesn't last a season.

I'd much rather we were winning 2-0 / 3-0 than 2-1 / 3-2 (and so on).

Newport was a nervy finish. Hartlepool was a nervy finish. Rovers was a nervy finish. We need to remove the nervy finishes, and close games out (like we did at Dagenham) consistently.
All very true, but it seems to be working well for Liverpool this season...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

ddavis wrote: By all accounts we had a great deal of luck in both the Dagenham game and the Bristol game.
I'm sorry mate, but I have to dispute this. To say we had a great deal of luck against Dagenham is laughable. They had a 60 second spell just before half time when we were 2-1 up when they hit the bar from a header from a free kick which was followed up by a shot which hit an upright so they could have gone in 2-2. Other than that we completely dominated that half and could easily have gone in 4-1, or 4-2 if they'd taken that chance. In the second half we creamed them, and I can honestly say if we'd won 6-1 or 7-1 it wouldn't have been a surprise. With regards to yesterday's game, yes it was tighter, and they probably deserved to go in ahead at half time, but in the second half we were by far the better side and once Foggy came on and scored and we went ahead, if we had won 4-2 or 5-2 it wouldn't have been an injustice.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Ref my comment on mathematical safety, I stand corrected.

Ref Barker's signings, we're they his or Coppell's?
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Actually, the stat that really matters is that we're mathematically safe. Well done Awfs :thumb
A little bit early but well, we are now. :thumb
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Didn't think luck had much to do with it against dagenham . Besides about 5 minutes we bossed them all over the park .
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Pompey Gary wrote:
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:Agree, I like yer stats, but, (IMHO) Barker didn't do badly at all for us (just in terms of players in)
Maybe he'd make a decent scout? Because as Awford's Pompey team have proved, he sure ain't a manager...
Good (and fair!) idea! :D
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Ref my comment on mathematical safety, I stand corrected.

Ref Barker's signings, we're they his or Coppell's?
:D An interesting point there too Sherl, could be onto something!
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Ref Barker's signings, we're they his or Coppell's?
Does it matter now?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Lost in Transportation wrote:
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Ref Barker's signings, we're they his or Coppell's?
Does it matter now?
Not really, I was simply suggesting that crediting Barker for those signings may not be completely appropriate.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Not really, I was simply suggesting that crediting Barker for those signings may not be completely appropriate.
He was clearly involved as was Coppell so it was that regime's signings for me. Whether you want to get into the Lennon/McCartney vs McCartney/Lennon debate seems a waste of effort.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Lost in Transportation wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:Not really, I was simply suggesting that crediting Barker for those signings may not be completely appropriate.
He was clearly involved as was Coppell so it was that regime's signings for me. Whether you want to get into the Lennon/McCartney vs McCartney/Lennon debate seems a waste of effort.
Sorry, I should perhaps have said "crediting Barker (alone).... may not...."