Back from the Bristol Rovers game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Bristol Rovers game

Post by Selsey Bill »

This will be a quick one as off out with Mrs Selsey in a while, but I'm sure others there will add to this. Anyway, congratulations to Andy Awford and the team for another great win. Whilst not mathematically safe, that's us playing in L2 again next season thank goodness. Slightly surprised to see Chorley not in the team, and more surprised to not even see him on the bench-bet he plays on Monday though.

Cracking atmosphere, helped by a very vociferous set of Bristol fans. Our fans started off well, but when they got back to 2-2 it all got a little nervy. Once we scored our 3rd though, the park was rocking.

MOTM by a country mile was Ricky Holmes who I have a sneaky feeling may win player of the season. He ran his heart out and caused his opposite number endless problems for the whole 90 minutes. Another outstanding performance today from Ryan Taylor who was the best he has been all season, winning almost everything in the air and causing havoc with their 2 centre backs. On that subject, ours were not at their best today, especially in the first half, with Bondz and Jack responsible for their two goals. In fact when they drew level, if it hadn't been for 2 outstanding saves by Carson, and a crossbar, they could have gone in to half time ahead, and probably deserved to. Hollands also had a great game, especially in the second half, and as I said last night we really need to sign him up. The game changed though when Awfs replaced Drennan who was very average today with Wes Fogden - he was outstanding and fully deserved his goal - I've not seen the players go so mental for a long time - look out for it on the football league show. Jed played well again, and Shorey and Webster were excellent, Shorey having one of his best games for us.

I've not seen as many police around Fratton for a long time - they must have been expecting trouble which thankfully never came, and I'd like to know who flew the plane over the stadium before the game trailing the message "Always looking up at us #SFC" - someone should have shot it down ;-)

Can't wait for Monday now - got a sneaky feeling we might win that one as well 8)
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Back from the Bristol Rovers game

Post by Earl Grey »

I agree with that assessment, SB.

Also with you regarding Ricky Holmes - he's my man of the season, too.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

I've got add that Carson played brilliantly as well. From where I sat I dont think he had a chance with their two goals. for the first he was heading one way and then had to dive to the other - got a hand to it though but not enough to stop it rolling into the corner I think it may have got a wicked deflection ? Second goal we went to sleep with no-one guarding the left hand side, It was all from a Bonz header which strangely bounced sideways off his head for a throw (Bonz only usualy heads in the direction he's facing :wink: ) the throw was taken quickly from the right and flicked into the box, Carson came for it only for the ball to be flicked over him to an unguarded Brizzle player.
However he made a couple of great saves including a tip over the bar and a world class one handed save to his right. hopefully that will be on the footie show as well. My only criticism was that he two handed punched several crosses which earlier in the season he would have caught.
We swung from confident (resulting in 1-0 and 2-1) to over confident (resulting in 1-1 and 2-2) then a session in the second half when all we did was hoofball. Bringing on Fogden changed it all, we then started to play it on the deck and looked full of composure.
Both Bonz and Whatty made uncharacteristic mistakes which made us all nervy and Brizzle often looked menacing (I have no nails left)
Again the ref was poor and inconsistant.
Good to see Awfs being pushed into going onto the pitch at the end for a well deserved applause.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
the-future-is-blue
Mickey Quinn

Post by the-future-is-blue »

Thanks SB and all.
Just 10 points off the play-offs ! - damn only 9 points left, what might have been :shock:
Gaydamack's wonderful millions - well it did seem too good to be true !
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Letters from the front-lines appreciated as always. Cheers SB & Architect.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Got to be quick today, so just a few brief points. Bristol were the better team for 2/3rds of the game, and we were a bit lucky to be level at that point. It was only when they ran out of legs that Pompey started to look like the better side, and could have scored more, but even then Bristol were always a threat. I can't believe that was a team that has struggled to score goals.

Whatmough and N'Gala had their most difficult game since Awford started; both made errors apart from the goals. Overall the team lacked the movement of the D&R game, and gave the ball away far too much, which put the defence under pressure. Wes Fogden made a huge difference when he came on, providing the energy, movement and support for Taylor that was lacking from Holmes, Wallace and Drennan (although the first two played pretty well, they were relatively fixed in their positions).

As I said in last week's BFTG, I would expect to see a few changes for Monday to give players a rest. BTW, does anyone know why we played on Saturday, whilst most other League 2 games were on Friday, giving Northampton an extra day's rest?

I went for Carson for player of the season, as I thought his arrival made a real difference after the early goalkeeping problems, but Holmes would be a fair choice, if only because he (and Wallace) are the only players to really play the whole season at a reasonable standard.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Nice one again SB (and you PP). Yep, agree (really) on the POY. Ricky Holmes over Carson (just). Honourable's to Whatmough (yet has only played a few), Wes Fogden (ditto) & maybe Bradley (if only early to mid-season form).

Right, 14 posts on the board (rather than 13) with my name on the end. Quite enough for anyone - I'd better not risk any more, else I might break the board. Either that, or another drink could mean a Ziggy-style facebook invite for a night in at the Wally's... :D
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP