Current Pompey squad contracts

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Current Pompey squad contracts

Post by Selsey Bill »

Going to make a very interesting close season with 21 players either out of contract or ending loan spells with us:

7/5/14 Phil Smith
3/6/14 Trevor Carson (on loan from Bury)
3/6/15 John Sullivan

30/6/14 Daniel Alfei (on loan from Swansea)
30/6/14 George Branford (on loan to Lewes)
30/6/14 Marcos Painter
30/6/14 Yassin Mouataouakil
30/6/14 Bondz N'Gala
30/6/14 Nicky Shorey
30/6/14 Liam Triggs
30/6/14 Joshua Warren
30/6/14 Adam Webster
8/5/15 Sonny Bradley
8/5/15 Danny East
30/6/15 Joe Devera
30/6/15 Ben Chorley
30/6/15 Dan Butler (on loan to Aldershot till end of season)

4/5/14 Rhys McCabe (on loan from Sheffield Wednesday)
4/5/14 Danny Hollands (on loan from Charlton)
30/6/14 Nick Awford
30/6/14 Jack Maloney
30/6/14 Therry Racon
30/6/14 Jed Wallace
20/6/15 Ricky Holmes
30/6/15 Simon Ferry
30/6/15 Romain Padovani
30/6/15 Wes Fogden
9/6/16 Johnny Ertl
30/6/16 Andy Barcham

4/5/14 Mikey Drennan (on loan from Aston Villa)
30/6/14 Jake Jervis
30/6/14 Ryan Bird
30/6/14 Ashley Harris
30/6/15 Patrick Agyemang
30/6/15 Ryan Taylor
30/6/15 Tom Craddock
30/6/15 David Connolly (on loan to Oxford Utd till end of season)

There's quite a lot we should let go, but we really should do everything we can to extend the contracts of Webster and Wallace, and try our best to persuade Hollands to join us.
RadioDept
Martin Kuhl

Re: Current Pompey squad contracts

Post by RadioDept »

Shorey has been great, but presume he's one of the squads highest earners? I'm presuming if Awford gets the job Butler will be right in the first team picture.

Hollands does at least seem keen - impressed he turned up to the Trust event the other day.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

RadioDept wrote:Shorey has been great, but presume he's one of the squads highest earners? I'm presuming if Awford gets the job Butler will be right in the first team picture.

Hollands does at least seem keen - impressed he turned up to the Trust event the other day.
Well, Hollands seems to like the south coast. He made over 200 appearances for Bournemouth, scoring 28 goals 8)
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:we really should do everything we can to extend the contracts of Webster
PFC has an option to extend Webster's contract and that is being activated.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

If we want to start moving on up the league(s) we need the stability that inspires the confidence that wins. So I hope that as many of the current first team squad as possible hang around for another season or so.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
RadioDept
Martin Kuhl

Post by RadioDept »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:we really should do everything we can to extend the contracts of Webster
Really? Logging on here and seeing good news and happy postings feels a bit odd.
the-future-is-blue
Mickey Quinn

Post by the-future-is-blue »

RadioDept wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:
Really? Logging on here and seeing good news and happy postings feels a bit odd.
All happy on here - for ages in fact, well about 3 weeks I think !
Happy days are here again blah blah blah :lol:
Gaydamack's wonderful millions - well it did seem too good to be true !
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I think most of those whose contract is up in June will be let go.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I think most of those whose contract is up in June will be let go.
Agree, and not a bad thing too. Those I'd keep would include the two previously mentioned, Webster & Wallace, along with Shorey, and of the loans we could realistically sign, I'd want to keep Carson and Hollands.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I think most of those whose contract is up in June will be let go.
Agree, and not a bad thing too. Those I'd keep would include the two previously mentioned, Webster & Wallace, along with Shorey, and of the loans we could realistically sign, I'd want to keep Carson and Hollands.
As you say, Webster, Wallace, Shorey, Carson and Hollands should be a priority to keep.

Hollands won't be a problem as he was itching to come here, as were Jervis and Fogden, before even Barker came here so I've been pretty reliably informed.

Shorey is unlikely to re-sign a contract (my opinion only....no source involved) but I'd absolutely love him to....he's pure class.

Jed may stay if Awfs remains as manager.

Awfs may well have a look at other Academy players now we're all but safe. I'd love to see some of them given a go. The only problem is Awfs won't want to compromise his chance of landing the job full-time by being too risky in his team selection.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

I hope Shorey stays, worth the extra money too. He raises the bar considerably.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

Where is Andy Barcham, is he on paternity leave?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeymick wrote:Where is Andy Barcham, is he on paternity leave?
I think he is injured
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

OK, I’ll have a go. As MILA said above, it’s about time we got some stability in the team, which we haven’t had since about 2007(!), so I am hoping that a lot of the present squad will stay. Try and avoid another summer with loads of ins and outs. Not much good came from the RB reign, but he did sign some good players, and I do agree with his comments about getting down to a reasonable squad size of players who expect to play. Also, I am assuming that we will tend to pay 4-2-3-1 if Awford stays as manager. So here goes...

GK. Hope we sign Carson, and I think Bury are looking to move him, so a good chance. Smith looks OK as a back-up, and seems happy in that role. I expect Sullivan to leave, but he came here with a good reputation and Awford might think he can sort him out if he can’t get Carson, or if no-one wants him, then out on loan again with a recall in case of emergencies.

RB. Mouataoukil looks gone already. Alfei back to Swansea, who will probably want him out on loan at a higher level next season, although he doesn’t look anything like a PL player. Expect East and Webster to battle it out for the starting place, with both getting games. No problem with that.

LB. I’d offer Shorey another year, which he probably takes at his age. Aim to work Butler into the team over the course of the year, learning from Shorey and with the aim of him being ready to start for 2015-16. Don’t see any place for Painter, and expect him to go unless Shorey won’t sign.

CB. Too many players. Chorley will presumably be back in a starting role soon. Bradley was very good early, but lost his way as the season went on, I don’t know why or where he stands under Awford, but at his best he and Chorley are our best pairing. Whatmough will get games, also in a holding MF role, but he is still very young to expect him to play 46 games at L2 standard in a season. Webster can also back-up in an emergency. Probably one out of N’Gala and Devera as first reserve; N’Gala might be the better pick, but could lose out due to contract situation and Devera’s flexibility, especially if we can’t move Devera on.

Holding MF. Ferry is under contract, and one of our best players when on the pitch, just hope that someone can sort his back out over the summer. Would want to sign Hollands, and he seems keen, so a good chance. Ertl is under contract and going nowhere unless he decides to return to Austria. Whatmough will provide cover. Then pick one from Racon and Padovani, and due to contract situation, I would expect it to be Padovani as Awford has shown no more liking for Racon than Barker did. McCabe back to Sheff Weds.

Attacking MF. Expect Holmes, Barcham and Fogden all to stay; no reason not to; hope to get more out of Barcham next season, if only as an impact sub with pace. Drennan back to AV. I think Wallace will move on, but you never know, and he has been inconsistent his year and might be persuaded to sign a new contract with an understanding that he will be sold if we don’t get promotion next year. In any case, this is where we look a bit thin for next season and I expect to see at least one signing, or at least two if Wallace goes. Otherwise, I don’t see any of the CFs being able to play in this area, although Ferry or Hollands could step forward, so we could be forced towards 4-4-2.

CF. Far too many players if we are going to play 4-2-3-1. We have probably seen the last of Ashley Harris (sadly, and wish him well elsewhere) and I see no reason for Connolly to return. Taylor looks like first choice, and is under contract. Craddock and Agyemang also have contracts to 2015, but the former has never been fit and the latter a disappointment at L2, where I think we expected him to dominate, but I can’t see who else would want to sign them, so we are probably stuck. Bird is out of contract, but looks like he can score goals even if the rest of his game is lacking, and may be open to a sign-and-loan deal. Jervis looks unlikely to stay as someone (or some-two) has to go, and Awford doesn’t seem interested.

So my squad would be as follows.

GK. Carson, Smith (or Sullivan)
FB. East, Webster, Shorey, Butler
CB. Chorley, Bradley, Whatmough, (Webster), Devera (or N’Gala)
HM. Ferry, Hollands, Ertl, Padovani (Whatmough) (or signing if Hollands doesn’t)
AM. Holmes, Fogden, Barcham, Wallace (at least one signing, or two signings if Wallace leaves)
CF. Taylor, Agyemang, Craddock, Bird

Which comes to 23 players, which I think is about right. 19-21 of which are already here, plus 2-4 signings depending on the Wallace, Carson and Hollands situations. Although, given football managers’ desire to sign players, there may be one or two more signings than that.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:OK, I’ll have a go. As MILA said above, it’s about time we got some stability in the team, which we haven’t had since about 2007(!), so I am hoping that a lot of the present squad will stay. Try and avoid another summer with loads of ins and outs. Not much good came from the RB reign, but he did sign some good players, and I do agree with his comments about getting down to a reasonable squad size of players who expect to play. Also, I am assuming that we will tend to pay 4-2-3-1 if Awford stays as manager. So here goes...

GK. Hope we sign Carson, and I think Bury are looking to move him, so a good chance. Smith looks OK as a back-up, and seems happy in that role. I expect Sullivan to leave, but he came here with a good reputation and Awford might think he can sort him out if he can’t get Carson, or if no-one wants him, then out on loan again with a recall in case of emergencies.

RB. Mouataoukil looks gone already. Alfei back to Swansea, who will probably want him out on loan at a higher level next season, although he doesn’t look anything like a PL player. Expect East and Webster to battle it out for the starting place, with both getting games. No problem with that.

LB. I’d offer Shorey another year, which he probably takes at his age. Aim to work Butler into the team over the course of the year, learning from Shorey and with the aim of him being ready to start for 2015-16. Don’t see any place for Painter, and expect him to go unless Shorey won’t sign.

CB. Too many players. Chorley will presumably be back in a starting role soon. Bradley was very good early, but lost his way as the season went on, I don’t know why or where he stands under Awford, but at his best he and Chorley are our best pairing. Whatmough will get games, also in a holding MF role, but he is still very young to expect him to play 46 games at L2 standard in a season. Webster can also back-up in an emergency. Probably one out of N’Gala and Devera as first reserve; N’Gala might be the better pick, but could lose out due to contract situation and Devera’s flexibility, especially if we can’t move Devera on.

Holding MF. Ferry is under contract, and one of our best players when on the pitch, just hope that someone can sort his back out over the summer. Would want to sign Hollands, and he seems keen, so a good chance. Ertl is under contract and going nowhere unless he decides to return to Austria. Whatmough will provide cover. Then pick one from Racon and Padovani, and due to contract situation, I would expect it to be Padovani as Awford has shown no more liking for Racon than Barker did. McCabe back to Sheff Weds.

Attacking MF. Expect Holmes, Barcham and Fogden all to stay; no reason not to; hope to get more out of Barcham next season, if only as an impact sub with pace. Drennan back to AV. I think Wallace will move on, but you never know, and he has been inconsistent his year and might be persuaded to sign a new contract with an understanding that he will be sold if we don’t get promotion next year. In any case, this is where we look a bit thin for next season and I expect to see at least one signing, or at least two if Wallace goes. Otherwise, I don’t see any of the CFs being able to play in this area, although Ferry or Hollands could step forward, so we could be forced towards 4-4-2.

CF. Far too many players if we are going to play 4-2-3-1. We have probably seen the last of Ashley Harris (sadly, and wish him well elsewhere) and I see no reason for Connolly to return. Taylor looks like first choice, and is under contract. Craddock and Agyemang also have contracts to 2015, but the former has never been fit and the latter a disappointment at L2, where I think we expected him to dominate, but I can’t see who else would want to sign them, so we are probably stuck. Bird is out of contract, but looks like he can score goals even if the rest of his game is lacking, and may be open to a sign-and-loan deal. Jervis looks unlikely to stay as someone (or some-two) has to go, and Awford doesn’t seem interested.

So my squad would be as follows.

GK. Carson, Smith (or Sullivan)
FB. East, Webster, Shorey, Butler
CB. Chorley, Bradley, Whatmough, (Webster), Devera (or N’Gala)
HM. Ferry, Hollands, Ertl, Padovani (Whatmough) (or signing if Hollands doesn’t)
AM. Holmes, Fogden, Barcham, Wallace (at least one signing, or two signings if Wallace leaves)
CF. Taylor, Agyemang, Craddock, Bird

Which comes to 23 players, which I think is about right. 19-21 of which are already here, plus 2-4 signings depending on the Wallace, Carson and Hollands situations. Although, given football managers’ desire to sign players, there may be one or two more signings than that.
Great post Penguin - 100% agree with your synopsis in all areas