Topgear causing "outrage" again?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Topgear causing "outrage" again?

Post by RubiconCSL »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27123434

Topgear causing "outrage" again.

So Clarkson uses the term "slant". Anyone on here even aware that it is an insult? FFS, I would imagine that about 99% of the UK public don't (or rather now - didn't) know that the term slant was an insult to asians. All these idiots at Equal Justice have done is now make sure a much larger percentage of people know that to be an insult and therefore, will make it more widely used. Okay, Clarkson is a knob. most people will agree, but why not mention it quietly to the BBC, rather than publicise it?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Topgear causing "outrage" again?

Post by Pompski! »

"slant" or otherwise. I am offended every time that **** is on my TV. Hammond too. So any bandwagon I could jump on to get him removed from TV, I will happily put my name against. 8)
I am me, the universe and you.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Pompski! wrote:"slant" or otherwise. I am offended every time that **** is on my TV. Hammond too. So any bandwagon I could jump on to get him removed from TV, I will happily put my name against. 8)
Me too. Where do I sign?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

RubiconCSL wrote:but why not mention it quietly to the BBC, rather than publicise it?
Why not? Because it's excellent publicity for Equal Justice, that's why not. I'd never heard of them before now, that's for certain.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Pompski! wrote:"slant" or otherwise. I am offended every time that **** is on my TV. Hammond too. So any bandwagon I could jump on to get him removed from TV, I will happily put my name against. 8)
I'm not a fan of theirs but just so you know there is more than one channel available these days and TVs do come with an on/off button .
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

My Sister In Law is Indonesian. My Brother calls her Slope she calls him Roundeye. Happily married for over twenty years. TBH I've never heard the term " Slope " outside of their relationship so, until now, just thought it was a term of endearment.

Unfortunately with the money Top Gear makes for the BBC its not likely to disappear soon. Still there's always the off switch or another channel that I can watch.

Just beat me too it Norman.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Oh yes, sorry, you're right - it was "slope", not "slant".
The Beautiful Game wrote:My Sister In Law is Indonesian. My Brother calls her Slope she calls him Roundeye. Happily married for over twenty years. TBH I've never heard the term " Slope " outside of their relationship so, until now, just thought it was a term of endearment.

Unfortunately with the money Top Gear makes for the BBC its not likely to disappear soon. Still there's always the off switch or another channel that I can watch.

Just beat me too it Norman.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

I have heard the term before. In the film Apocalypse Now , the US soldiers refer to the Viet Cong as the slopes (among other terms).
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Norman Piper wrote:
I'm not a fan of theirs but just so you know there is more than one channel available these days and TVs do come with an on/off button .
I know. Unfortunately in the case of Hammond, I often see a science or nature programme advertised only for it to be hosted by that annoying midget. So I don't watch it.
I am me, the universe and you.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

As a bit of a cultural stranger to the UK these days I find it strange that a well known TV personality is using a very old and obscure racial stereotype.
The only reason I can think of is that he's "race-baiting" which is even stranger from a non-politician.
Can anyone enlighten me on why?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

miltoninLA wrote:As a bit of a cultural stranger to the UK these days I find it strange that a well known TV personality is using a very old and obscure racial stereotype.
The only reason I can think of is that he's "race-baiting" which is even stranger from a non-politician.
They are naughty schoolboys.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

BaffinsBlue wrote:
miltoninLA wrote:As a bit of a cultural stranger to the UK these days I find it strange that a well known TV personality is using a very old and obscure racial stereotype.
They are naughty schoolboys.
:lol: Makes sense. Ta.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

It's not a live show.
The BBC can edit these things out if they wished to.
And you might think, with Mr. Clarksons character and previous, that they pay special attention to his remarks in the cutting room!
Anyhoo...if you've seen the clip, its just a poor attempt at a double meaning word gag ala "Nice Beaver"
..which, btw, is much funnier.

[youtube][/youtube]
Div III. Call it what it is.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

:thumb
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP