Driver awareness courses ( SPEEDING )

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Driver awareness courses ( SPEEDING )

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Thanks all .

I will read again on August 13th . As I thought it was a 9:30 start , it was in fact 8:30..........
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

If you'd put your foot down you could have made it ;-)
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

the_lock_man wrote:
ddavis wrote:Speed + 10% + whatever is all 'guidance'.

They can, and will if they want, do you for 31 in a 30. Most roads are zero tolerance.
Is there not a legal precedent where someone appealed a ticket on the basis that to keep to a precise maximum of 30mph involved driving without due care and attention, since they would have to spend a disproportionate amount of time checking the speedometer, and therefore insufficient time looking at the actual road?
That would be a silly argument, it applies to any speed. Can't see many judges buying that. They'd only need to respond that if the argument is by not looking you can creep over 30, try and aim for 27. Then when you creep you'll still be under.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

ddavis wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

They can, and will if they want, do you for 31 in a 30. Most roads are zero tolerance.
Is there not a legal precedent where someone appealed a ticket on the basis that to keep to a precise maximum of 30mph involved driving without due care and attention, since they would have to spend a disproportionate amount of time checking the speedometer, and therefore insufficient time looking at the actual road?
That would be a silly argument, it applies to any speed. Can't see many judges buying that. They'd only need to respond that if the argument is by not looking you can creep over 30, try and aim for 27. Then when you creep you'll still be under.
I wonder if you'd pass your driving test by aiming to go at 27, checking every now and then to see if you were getting too close to 30.

Indeed I wonder if any driving organisation (AA, RAC etc.) or even the police would support that strategy.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote:
ddavis wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

I wonder if you'd pass your driving test by aiming to go at 27, checking every now and then to see if you were getting too close to 30.

Indeed I wonder if any driving organisation (AA, RAC etc.) or even the police would support that strategy.
Way back when I took my driving test, you would fail for not keeping up with the traffic flow (ie going too slowly).

Just found this from a month ago in the Daily Fail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 32mph.html

It is talking about lower tolerances for speeding (ie you get done at just 2mph over the posted limit). In it, a spokesman from the RAC Foundation says
These plans will lead to more people watching their speedometers instead of the road, and that will not increase safety.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Self-drive cars are getting closer. In 5-10 years, we'll be too busy playing 'Candy Crush v Angry Birds' to care what speed our Google RoboCar is going.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Self-drive cars are getting closer. In 5-10 years, we'll be too busy playing 'Candy Crush v Angry Birds' to care what speed our Google RoboCar is going.
But in the meantime :

[youtube][/youtube]

Point of note - In New Zealand, car insurance is not a legal requirement.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Self-drive cars are getting closer. In 5-10 years, we'll be too busy playing 'Candy Crush v Angry Birds' to care what speed our Google RoboCar is going.
That would be great for the boring motorway driving. Not sure I trust sat-navs though especially if/when the machines decide to rebel.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Weybridge wrote:
On a recent trip in NZ, we rented a motorhome to tour S Island. Returning back to the depot on the outskirts of Christchurch, we found ourselves behind three cars waiting to cross a mini-roundabout opposite the entrance.

With all seriousness, the depot boss commented on how ridiculously busy the roads were that day....
Kingofstar
Interim Manager

Post by Kingofstar »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Weybridge wrote:
On a recent trip in NZ, we rented a motorhome to tour S Island. Returning back to the depot on the outskirts of Christchurch, we found ourselves behind three cars waiting to cross a mini-roundabout opposite the entrance.

With all seriousness, the depot boss commented on how ridiculously busy the roads were that day....
In Ventnor people ring you up to go look at two cars following each other.
It's not the despair, Lua Lua. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQEdeKreB4w
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Kingofstar wrote:In Ventnor people ring you up to go look at two cars following each other.
You have cars on the island now? :shock:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Kingofstar wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Weybridge wrote:

In Ventnor people ring you up to go look at two cars following each other.
Must get a helluva lot of phone calls......
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Kingofstar wrote:In Ventnor people ring you up to go look at two cars following each other.
Never mind the cars... when did you get phones on the island!? :shock:
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

This Time Next Year wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Never mind the cars... when did you get phones on the island!? :shock:
Ring you up? In Ventnor people string you up. Cars - witchcraft.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."