supermarket cut backs

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinMontreal
Gary O'Neil

supermarket cut backs

Post by BlueinMontreal »

Anyone know if this affects the Fratton Park development?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... its-change
Co-Author of "Montreal International Firework Competition"
Regular price $30.00 Now ON SALE $20.00
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Re: supermarket cut backs

Post by This Time Next Year »

Not sure I'd call that one "out of town"...
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

No, but it is a large development.

Interesting that we seem to be getting lazier, by going to local convenience stores. I wonder whether people assume (wrongly) that a Tesco Express has the same prices as a Tesco Extra, and therefore don't see the point of going to the larger stores?

We're just about to get a Tesco Express in The Salisbury pub in Cosham. No Change Of Usage permission required to go from a pub to a convenience store. Co-Op now have the Oakwood, and I notice that there's a Morrisons in The Leopard (I think) in Purbrook.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

the_lock_man wrote:Interesting that we seem to be getting lazier, by going to local convenience stores.
Hmmm... I wonder whether this is partly in response to home deliveries? You do your big shop online then pick up sundries as and when.

I also think its partly due to increasing cost of living expenses as well re transportation.

Another factor is how crap it is to drive as well.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:Interesting that we seem to be getting lazier, by going to local convenience stores.
Hmmm... I wonder whether this is partly in response to home deliveries? You do your big shop online then pick up sundries as and when.

I also think its partly due to increasing cost of living expenses as well re transportation.

Could well be right. The programme is on tonight, I shall be watching with interest.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Lost in Transportation wrote:

Yep, that's exactly my routine.

Shopping habits are so dynamic nowadays, it's increasingly difficult to predict lifestyles just a few years from now.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

the_lock_man wrote:No, but it is a large development.

Interesting that we seem to be getting lazier, by going to local convenience stores. I wonder whether people assume (wrongly) that a Tesco Express has the same prices as a Tesco Extra, and therefore don't see the point of going to the larger stores?

We're just about to get a Tesco Express in The Salisbury pub in Cosham. No Change Of Usage permission required to go from a pub to a convenience store. Co-Op now have the Oakwood, and I notice that there's a Morrisons in The Leopard (I think) in Purbrook.
Yep, in Portchester the White Hart became a Co-op with no changes to the building and the Linden Lea was completely knocked down and became another Co-op to add to the collection of Co-ops we have in the village !

We have four of them now !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Kingofstar
Interim Manager

Post by Kingofstar »

The Linden Lea! What a hell hole thar was. White Hart - Brian Bromley's pub, grumpy git - nice daughter. or I may be thinking of Wicor Mill.
It's not the despair, Lua Lua. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQEdeKreB4w
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Kingofstar wrote:The Linden Lea! What a hell hole thar was. White Hart - Brian Bromley's pub, grumpy git - nice daughter. or I may be thinking of Wicor Mill.
Think Brian Bromley was at the Wicor Mill.

Portsdown Inn (albeit technically over the border in Paulsgrove) is now a One Stop.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Kingofstar wrote:The Linden Lea! What a hell hole thar was. White Hart - Brian Bromley's pub, grumpy git - nice daughter. or I may be thinking of Wicor Mill.
Brian did have the White Hart, unfortunately it gained a reputation as being a bit of a druggy pub and went down hill quickly.

Yes, the Linden, it was like going into a care home that had not been decorated since the 70's !!
Heaven's Light Our Guide