Ebola!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Ebola!

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I must say reports coming out of Africa for the past couple of weeks paint a very disturbing picture.
It seems this diesease, which has a fatality rate, depending on which reports you believe, of around 60+% is not being contained. Nor are peeps goign to hospitals and with a reported casual;ty rate there of 90%.....it's not surprising.
There is no cure, it has a 21 day incubation period and whilst not the easiest to transmit it's not the hardest either.
Furthermore, I bet we, and by we and mean us and y'all Euros, are doing very little if anything at our borders.
In FACT, I was at a TX border crossing this very morning near Brownsville TX. Lots of armed Feds with guns and dogs.....no doubt looking for Mexicans and drugs.
I did get asked...."...Morning Sir...are you a citizen?"
Nobody asked if I had been to West Africa recently.
Ayhoo.....I've no doubt we shall see a case here or in Euroland in the next week or 2.

Still, when it's all said and done and The Kid is named Supreme Benevolent Dictator of the 20% of you that survive....it'll be a much better world. Job 1 .....build a decent footy team!

Must be off......supply run.......water, canned goods and toilet paper for Kid Bunker
Div III. Call it what it is.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Ebola!

Post by uspompeyfan »

Weren't 2 cases reported on the news last Friday on this side of the pond?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

uspompeyfan wrote:Weren't 2 cases reported on the news last Friday on this side of the pond?
I think that was a dodgy mosquito in Florida. Dengue fever.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Africa appears a total mess, seems in the developed worlds interests to keep it that way as well, ripe for exploitation.
Very sad. :(
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

The Liberian (i think) information minister was on The World Tonight last night and they've basically locked down the country. The cultural nuances of this region and the problems they cause for this particular disease are interesting. The minister said the population is usually very tactile with each other in greetings and communication, and it was proving a major problem as ebola can be spread very quickly through contact.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Sounds like a awful way to go
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

... and chips wrote:The Liberian (i think) information minister was on The World Tonight last night and they've basically locked down the country. The cultural nuances of this region and the problems they cause for this particular disease are interesting. The minister said the population is usually very tactile with each other in greetings and communication, and it was proving a major problem as ebola can be spread very quickly through contact.
According to the link I posted earlier, it's about as infectious as influenza.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

... and chips wrote:The Liberian (i think) information minister was on The World Tonight last night and they've basically locked down the country. The cultural nuances of this region and the problems they cause for this particular disease are interesting. The minister said the population is usually very tactile with each other in greetings and communication, and it was proving a major problem as ebola can be spread very quickly through contact.
Middle England will be the safest place on the planet. Hurrah for personal space and British reserve. Unless its also communicated through limp handshakes or air kisses.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I think we need Dustin Hoffman to start looking for a small black and white monkey that probably started it.......
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Horrific ending to the poor victim, they go into prolonged convulsions, spraying their blood and part-liquefied innards onto anyone who happens to be within range.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I think this is how the world in its current form will end.
When you really think about it, most all current problems.....let me reel off a few......global climate, famine, overfishing, deforestation, poverty.....I could go on......but most all can be traced back to one issue.
There are too many of us.

It's not at all far fetched imo to forsee that some mad biology genius will come up with something to cull the population down a bit, a lot even.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:Weren't 2 cases reported on the news last Friday on this side of the pond?
I think there are 2 current American cases but they were docs working in Africa.
1 is dead and the other doesn't look good

Takes a special kind of dude to volunteer for that duty.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
I think there are 2 current American cases but they were docs working in Africa.
1 is dead and the other doesn't look good

Takes a special kind of dude to volunteer for that duty.
True.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:I think this is how the world in its current form will end.
When you really think about it, most all current problems.....let me reel off a few......global climate, famine, overfishing, deforestation, poverty.....I could go on......but most all can be traced back to one issue.
There are too many of us.

It's not at all far fetched imo to forsee that some mad biology genius will come up with something to cull the population down a bit, a lot even.
What my grandad used to say... "What this world needs is a good war"

...We seem to be heading that way too (though when are we not?) - Hmmm, deep.