Ebola!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ebola!

Post by Pompey1985 »

***** getting real in Macsdonia maybe...
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

uspompeyfan wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:Seems strange to me that such a deadly virus hasn't led to the countries involved being sort of locked down as in no travel abroad until its brought under control. Really putting far too many lives @ risk by having few travel restrictions. I hope the WHO can sort this out because it sounds horrific & the countries involved don't appear geared up to cope. I'm no expert but leaving bodies leaking bodily fluids on pavements sounds like a recipe for total disaster. In situations like this I'd have thought, religious beliefs & n.o.k wishes withstanding, cremation should be taking place asap.
Probably political correctness has something to do with it...... maybe, because the infected countries have people that, due to their geographical location, have naturally darker skinned inhabitants than those of more European and North American countries. In this case, any actions taken against said countries might be considered racially motivated. Thus, to show that all nationalities and ethnicities should have equal rights to suffering from this virus, it is deeemed correct to keep the borders open.
Its more to do with geography and logistics. You could restrict flights, but Monrovia is one of Africa's busiest ports, and home to the largest merchant fleet on the planet. Liberia is all coastline, it would be impossible to police it all.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I believe we should all take a very big deep breath.

Yes, Ebola is deadly, but as a simple Pompey fella with a degree in Zoology (which included Virology), I can assure you that this horrible disease is not going to rampage through the UK killing everyone. It fascinates me that the Flu virus kills 100s of 1000s annually, and that Malaria still kills millions, yet we don't have a thread on those two diseases on here.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Selsey Bill wrote:I believe we should all take a very big deep breath.

Yes, Ebola is deadly, but as a simple Pompey fella with a degree in Zoology (which included Virology), I can assure you that this horrible disease is not going to rampage through the UK killing everyone. It fascinates me that the Flu virus kills 100s of 1000s annually, and that Malaria still kills millions, yet we don't have a thread on those two diseases on here.
I fear you're wrong, Sir :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Spot on SB (are your match reports as accurate?) The reason is that someone has to puke on you for you to contract this awful lurgy. Once someone has puked on you and the pukor has Ebola then the pukee has an awful chance of contracting it. Now I don't know about the rest of you but no one has puked on me since I stopped using the London Underground.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

miltoninLA wrote:

Spot on SB (are your match reports as accurate?) The reason is that someone has to puke on you for you to contract this awful lurgy. Once someone has puked on you and the pukor has Ebola then the pukee has an awful chance of contracting it. Now I don't know about the rest of you but no one has puked on me since I stopped using the London Underground.
Interesting points but, he said countering, malaria and flu are both preventable via vaccine or curable via treatment. The FACT that they kill many more is due more to poverty, ineffective med services and incompetent govts.
This, on the other hand, is incurable, has a high death rate per case and by all accounts is a bl**dy nasty way to go. So there is a much bigger fear factor
Also....we keep getting told its hard to catch don't we.......but an awful lot of peeps in protective gear seem to be biting the bullet.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Interesting points but, he said countering, malaria and flu are both preventable via vaccine or curable via treatment. The FACT that they kill many more is due more to poverty, ineffective med services and incompetent govts.
This, on the other hand, is incurable, has a high death rate per case and by all accounts is a bl**dy nasty way to go. So there is a much bigger fear factor
Also....we keep getting told its hard to catch don't we.......but an awful lot of peeps in protective gear seem to be biting the bullet.
Ebola concerns me more than ISIS.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Ebola concerns me more than ISIS.
Yeah....heard interviews this morning with US Troops heading out to build med centres in Liberia.....all said they are more worried about the invisible enemy than a combat deployment.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Yeah....heard interviews this morning with US Troops heading out to build med centres in Liberia.....all said they are more worried about the invisible enemy than a combat deployment.
It does beg the question of the modern armed services though:

Are they a fighting force to deter terrorism or a humanitarian effort?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

1st case transmitted in the US reported today then...and oh lookie....another healthcare worker in protective gear gets the "hard to catch" ebola.
Oh and today, what kicks off?....Africa Cup of Nations!
Sierra Leonne vs Cameron.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:1st case transmitted in the US reported today then...and oh lookie....another healthcare worker in protective gear gets the "hard to catch" ebola.
David Cameron is playing in the Africa Cup of Nations? It's about time someone tightened up on the eligibility rules!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:1st case transmitted in the US reported today then...and oh lookie....another healthcare worker in protective gear gets the "hard to catch" ebola.
David Cameron is playing in the Africa Cup of Nations? It's about time someone tightened up on the eligibility rules!
bwahahaha
Well, I believe that we can all trace our ethnic roots back to Africa so Dave qualifies....though he might be out numbered today, I think if he plays solid D he's got a chance on the counter.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Ebola Outbreak Planned Years Ago! What Do You Think The Millions Of “Coffin Liners” Are For? - http://yournewswire.com/ebola-outbreak- ... s-are-for/
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

A second healthcare worker in Dallas contracts Ebola....
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Reports coming in that an old people's home in Paulsgrove has been fire-bombed by an angry mob this afternoon after rumours spread that the occupants had Tombola today.