Ouch!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Ouch!

Post by pompeygunner »

the_lock_man wrote:
pompeygunner wrote: I once took 3 for 5 in 4 overs
My team's short on Saturday, if you fancy a game?
Back in 1981 yep I'd be happy to step in, nowadays the run up would do for me. :)

Thinking about the bruises I picked up back then,all over my torso & once on the neck, cricket back then could be well dodgy. Always wore a box though. :thumb
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

I can never understand why nobody has invented a ball which acts like a cricket ball but does not have the potential to maim participants. The macho attitude of too many cricketers just baffles me - the people on TMS mocking fielders for (very sensibly!) wearing shin-pads is a recent example of this. A game really shouldn't need a very real chance of jeopardy to be a good game.

Feel free to call me a wimp!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I can never understand why nobody has invented a ball which acts like a cricket ball but does not have the potential to maim participants. The macho attitude of too many cricketers just baffles me - the people on TMS mocking fielders for (very sensibly!) wearing shin-pads is a recent example of this. A game really shouldn't need a very real chance of jeopardy to be a good game.

I was at a colts game a few years back, my oldest was playing up an age group, and one of our batsman absolutely tanked a ball - straight at short cover's head, hit him full on the forehead, remarkably didn't knock the kid out, but the lump that came up straight away was a sight. Straight off to QA as a precaution though.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

the_lock_man wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I can never understand why nobody has invented a ball which acts like a cricket ball but does not have the potential to maim participants. The macho attitude of too many cricketers just baffles me - the people on TMS mocking fielders for (very sensibly!) wearing shin-pads is a recent example of this. A game really shouldn't need a very real chance of jeopardy to be a good game.

I was at a colts game a few years back, my oldest was playing up an age group, and one of our batsman absolutely tanked a ball - straight at short cover's head, hit him full on the forehead, remarkably didn't knock the kid out, but the lump that came up straight away was a sight. Straight off to QA as a precaution though.
Its weird, you would think more serious injuries would occur concerning ball impact but from my experience - they don't. I've broken a finger at 20, and a thumb about five years ago, and taken a number of bumps and bruises, but that's it. I've seen a 'mature' player collapse from heatstroke, and a fast bowler pull a back muscle in his delivery stride, and the odd ball deflected into a face that required stitches. But those injuries are as bad as I've seen in 30 years. I think, while it hurts (and it does) if you're on the receiving end, the cricket ball is not as dangerous as you might think.

(Of course, that's me jinxed now. Expect any posts from me now on from St. Peter's Hospital, Chertsey)
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Weybridge wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

Its weird, you would think more serious injuries would occur concerning ball impact but from my experience - they don't. I've broken a finger at 20, and a thumb about five years ago, and taken a number of bumps and bruises, but that's it. I've seen a 'mature' player collapse from heatstroke, and a fast bowler pull a back muscle in his delivery stride, and the odd ball deflected into a face that required stitches. But those injuries are as bad as I've seen in 30 years. I think, while it hurts (and it does) if you're on the receiving end, the cricket ball is not as dangerous as you might think.

(Of course, that's me jinxed now. Expect any posts from me now on from St. Peter's Hospital, Chertsey)
Well I wasn't wrong. Saturday I copped one on the ankle at short leg, which is now a little swollen and technicoloured, but generally ok. And today I wore a couple of bouncers on the upper arm. And no, I still wasn't wearing a helmet!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."