Ouch!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Ouch!

Post by RubiconCSL »

Got him right in the helmet!
190985.3.jpg
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Re: Ouch!

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

RubiconCSL wrote:Got him right in the helmet!
190985.3.jpg

Not IN the helmet , THROUGH the helmet .

Currently having stitches .

OUCH INDEED :!:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Makes you wonder what a helmet is for? I know it will affect visibility, but surely, a couple of vertical bars and the thing would do what it's designed to do. Didn't we have another of these recently?
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

RubiconCSL wrote:Makes you wonder what a helmet is for? I know it will affect visibility, but surely, a couple of vertical bars and the thing would do what it's designed to do. Didn't we have another of these recently?
Not sure about a similar incident , but we did use to have vertical bars .

Belated Happy birthday by the way :thumb
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/14/craig-kie ... r-4797436/

This one? I thought pointing took a ball on/through the visor in an ashes, but struggling to find it.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

...here it is.

[youtube][/youtube]
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

I suppose another bar in there would interfere with vision? Nothing quite like the top-edge into your face.

I remember playing on a very bouncy pitch somewhere in Leigh Park (Hollybank? - something like that). My works team. It was a slowish ball, and the batsman (I was fielding at slip), gave it an *almighty* swipe. He top-edged it vertically up his face, took out his front teeth, lips, smashed his nose inward (was lucky the nose didn't go further back), and cut his brow open. There was *so* much claret (there's less in Pomp's cellar*).

Awful, it is always a hazard, I never wore a helmet, but nearly bought one after that. I remember when 1st playing cricket, I didn't even have a box, one delivery soon changed that (never again). >-<

Anyways, ouch indeed, heard Broad has got a broken hooter, well a broad nose 'fersure'. Not fun.

(* not that I have first hand experience to verify this...)
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:Not sure about a similar incident , but we did use to have vertical bars .

Belated Happy birthday by the way :thumb
Well, that would make a LOT more sense.

...and yes, from me too Herr Rubi your highness! Happy Birthday Dom! (sorry it's late) - hope you had a cracking day - hopefully with the family. :thumb

(failing that, then Myleene... :wink: )
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

That's the one, Kieswetter.
This Time Next Year wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/14/craig-kie ... r-4797436/

This one? I thought pointing took a ball on/through the visor in an ashes, but struggling to find it.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote: I never wore a helmet, but nearly bought one after that. [/size]
My good lady wife insists that I wear a helmet when batting.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Used to play a bit long ago. Without helmets back then. And to this day I'm amazed there aren't nasty injuries on some of the local wickets. Usually a typical park cricket pitch has far too much grass & are open to the elements. They can be lethal. I suppose as long as the bounce is predictable its okish but in my day that could never be guaranteed & if the bowler decided to go short of a length it was self preservation time. Just get out of the way of the fecker type action.
I have a claim to fame that I once took 3 for 5 in 4 overs in very bad light on a pitch that was doing a bit. My blood was up because of some instances during their bowling. One batsman even hit his own stumps when I was bowling rather than carry on. TBH looking back I dont blame him & the umpire should've stepped in.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

pompeygunner wrote: I once took 3 for 5 in 4 overs
My team's short on Saturday, if you fancy a game?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

the_lock_man wrote:
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote: I never wore a helmet, but nearly bought one after that. [/size]
Does she not insist on a box aswell?

When i was about 17 I had the same happen to me, fortunatly the ball was caught between the grill and the peak of the helmet.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I play best part of 40 matches a year. Nowadays (and has been for quite some time now) its compulsory for under 18s to wear a helmet. I'm 44 and have played senior cricket since I was 12. Back then wearing a helmet at any age in any conditions brought about sniggering and derision from your team mates. Not to mention the helmet was open invitation to the bowler to give you a few short ones.

Nowadays, a helmet is the norm at club level. All those under-18s have grown up and wouldn't dream of batting without one. I reckon there is only 3 or 4 guys at my club who bat without one (including me). Personally, I find it very restrictive. Its more difficult to keep your head still, and the bars and brim make it harder for your eyes to quickly pick up the ball. But its just what you're used to I guess, I like to be as light as possible on my feet out there.

However, if the bowler is particularly rapid and the pitch is bit unpredictable, I will put a lid on. Similarly, when I field at short leg, I'll wear one - I'm not suicidal.

Actually next Sunday, my lot are facing a visiting Sri Lankan side. They're a bit special - and include a couple of Sri Lankan A players. I think I'll be dusting off the lid...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Does she not insist on a box aswell?
She doesn't need to - I happily wear a box, whereas I probably wouldn't have bought a helmet if she hadn't insisted. However, I am glad she did as I got hit on the back of the head when a fielder missed the stumps I was running to.
Weybridge wrote:Nowadays, a helmet is the norm at club level. All those under-18s have grown up and wouldn't dream of batting without one.
In the midweek team at our club, there are 5 or 6 18-year-olds. As you say, they have grown up wearing a helmet, but a couple of them have now decided that since they don't have to, they aren't going to.