Back from the Peterborough game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Back from the Peterborough game

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Dave wrote:I actually thought that Robinson looked more the leader than Chorley last night, he was certainly more vocal and never stopped talking and organising. If he signs till the end of the season I can see him being made captain.
Has there ever been a captain of a club who has only been on loan at that club.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Dave wrote:I actually thought that Robinson looked more the leader than Chorley last night, he was certainly more vocal and never stopped talking and organising. If he signs till the end of the season I can see him being made captain.
I'd be happy with that. After all, he was highly respected by Millwall fans in that role. He seemed to play in the centre of the defensive three last night with Devera on the right and Chorley on the left which would help as the leader.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:He seemed to play in the centre of the defensive three last night with Devera on the right and Chorley on the left which would help as the leader.
Those are the favoured sides of Devera and Chorley whether in a two or three. Worth noting that young Whatmough favours the left side as well.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

A few quick additional - and rather late - points to SB's excellent report:

First, I agree that it was a very entertaining game. It was particularly impressive to see that, even when we were more on the defensive in the second half, we were able to counterattack with purpose. For example, this resulted in the disallowed 'goal' from Westcarr.

Second, given that there were six changes from last Saturday's Exeter draw, we have a squad and not just a team. AA will have some difficulty picking the team for this coming weekend IMO.

Third, the state of the new turf was excellent - not just the new sprinkler system. I have never seen our ground looking so good. I cannot understand why it has taken so many years for this obvious investment to be made. For all his talk, my recollection is that even Milan Mandaric never spent much money on this (but I may be wrong.)

Fourth, I was especially impressed with the 3-5-2 formation, which was specifically set up against Peterborough. This comes from a thoughtful manager, who has been well briefed about the opposition. AA is showing real signs of being both a good player motivator and being a good tactician.

Fifth, I was listening to the match commentary on Express FM during the first half while watching the game: I like to know what other people think and pick up incidents that I have not been able to see clearly. The commentator gave highlights of the game but did not follow it accurately. He spent much of the time reflecting on the broader aspects of the game with Alan Knight and someone else whose name I did not catch.

I then switched to BBC Radio Solent for the second half: I had been unable to find the station on my tiny radio earlier. Andy Moon's commentary was accurate and detailed. The comments from Guy W were interesting and relevant. Living partly in London, I realise that the Solent broadcast is not available outside the Hampshire area whereas the Express FM commentary can be picked up via the PFC website. But I know which station I would prefer if both were available.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Just one thing to add to SB's report: the team looked and played like a team rather than a bunch of players who'd met for the first time in the dressing room. Consequently there were some really good one-touch passing moves and decent movement off the ball at times, the best example of which was the move that led to the goal. They seemed to be playing with a confidence that we saw little of last season. If we can play like that throughout the season then I think other league 2 teams will not enjoy playing us.

I also noticed Chorley's vigorous debriefing of Bird after the short corner - quite funny but absolutely necessary.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

<dj.> wrote: I also noticed Chorley's vigorous debriefing of Bird after the short corner - quite funny but absolutely necessary.
Agree entirely. It made me chuckle as he chased him all the way to the half way line :lol:
It was also one of those defensive 'lack of concentration' moments that were all too common last season that cost us loads of points.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks SB, great analysis a lesson for us mediocre reporters!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:Thanks SB, great analysis a lesson for us mediocre reporters!
You're welcome mate, and don't underestimate yourself. I really enjoyed your 'Back from Exeter' report.
My personal view is the more match reports shared on here the better for the board.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Selsey Bill"][quote="BlueinPLtwenty"]Thanks SB, great analysis a lesson for us mediocre reporters![/quote]
You're welcome mate, and don't underestimate yourself. I really enjoyed your 'Back from Exeter' report.
My personal view is the more match reports shared on here the better for the board.[/quote]

Thanks for that.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man