Back from the Camridge United game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Camridge United game

Post by Selsey Bill »

I appreciate Sherl has already given his pitch inspection, but I thought I would share my views on our players and the match in a little more detail. Before moving on to that, NSS was spot on with his observation of the pitch; it looked superb pre-match yesterday afternoon. We sit quite low down near the half way line in the North Stand Lower and we now have a much clearer view of what is going on in the far side of the pitch with that massive bump gone!

With regards to the team, our keeper Jones was outstanding yesterday and fully deserved his MOTM award. Cambridge subjected us to an aerial bombardment at times and they have some BIG players so his command an often over-crowded box was absolutely vital to our win. It could have been oh so different though as Jones failed to come out for a through ball very early on in the game. They could easily have scored, but luckily didn't. As recent experiences will remind us this position is all about confidence, and that overall performance from Jones should give him huge confidence going forward.

We played a back four of Shorey, Whatmough, Robinson and Webster, and having been at the Peterborough game last Tuesday, I was slightly surprised by Awford's selection. I understand that Wynter was unavailable (concussion), but it looks like our captain Chorley was dropped or rested? Anyway, it was obvious very early on that our defence was going to have a difficult afternoon as the opposition, especially the huge Elliott , were winning everything early on. He worked well with Appiah up front, and I reckon that they will be one of the better teams in this league this season. Shorey looked his usual composed self yesterday afternoon. He seems to have about 2 seconds longer on the ball than most other players, always a sign of class. Robinson and Whatmough both gave very gutsy performances, including one goal saving block from Whatmough. I have to remind myself every time I see Jack play that he is still only 17. He has one hell of a future IMHO. Our weak link in the back four was Webster, and even before his two rash challenges, he wasn't having a great game. As for his sending off, he can have no complaints. I suspect the young lad is beating himself up about it, but his sending off could have cost us at least two, or possibly all three points.

It looked like we started out playing Awfs's favoured 4-2-3-1 with Dunne and Hollands playing in behind Storey, Atangana and Wallace. Dunne and Hollands really look the deal in their roles breaking up play and pushing forward, especially Hollands. Dunne was everywhere yesterday, and was a contender for MOTM. He is growing in stature with each game, and looks another natural leader on the pitch to me. I felt sorry for Atangana being subbed following the red card, as that decision had nothing to do with his performance. Yet again, he was outstanding. To me it looks like we are almost playing a 4-2-1-2-1 with big Nigel playing in front of Dunne and Hollands. That is his strength and weakness as at times he needs to track back more. Every cloud has a silver lining though, and his being subbed should mean he is well rested for the Northampton game. Those who played 90 minutes (actually 99 minutes!) will be knackered. Some of them were dead on their feet by the end.

Storey continued where he left off last Tuesday and his cross to provide Taylor with his well taken goal was inch perfect. Jed Wallace could learn a lot from Storey. I thought Jed had an average game yesterday. Admittedly, he was played in about 4 different positions, and ran his heart out, but his touch and delivery were poor. I can remember at least 4 or 5 passes gong wildly astray. Back to Storey for a moment. He almost scored the goal of the season yesterday: Early on in the first half he picked the ball up out wide on the left and cut beating his defender, followed by another two or three players, before unleashing a powerful right footer from outside the box which dipped and swerved in the wind before crashing off the corner of the upright.

Taylor played upfront on his own, and when he wasn't being pushed, grabbed, elbowed by their No. 5 Bonner he was winning headers he had no right to win. He is an unsung hero for me, and will be one of our key players this season. He will create more goals than he will score, but yesterday's neat little header will really help his confidence.

With regards to the subs, Devera was brought on to replace Atangana following Webster's red and had a very solid second half. In retrospect, he should have started in place of Webster. Holmes replaced Taylor mid way through the second half and grew in stature as the game went on, but he is not yet 'match fit'. Bird replaced Taylor with about 10 minutes to go, but didn't have a lot to do as we were defending stoutly by then.

When they scored their goal with 20 minutes to go, we knew it would be nervy, but I don't want to have to go through that week in week out. It was draining.

I don't like to knock officials, but seem to have to at this level more often than I'd like to, but I thought the referee was really poor yesterday, taking aside his yellows for Webster which were the correct decisions. I do believe the occasion gets to some of them.

Final word for our supporters. I thought the crowd were immense yesterday, with in fairness CUFC fans playing their part. At one point in the second half the incessant 'Blue Army' chants were the loudest I have heard for a long time, and there is no doubt the Pompey's 12th (11th) Man played a major part in carrying us over the line. I remember at one point when this was going on Miles Storey looking around our crowd shaking his head in disbelief at the wall of sound. Even Awford said in his post match interview that it gave him goose bumps.

Onwards and upwards. Three more points on Tuesday night please :)
Last edited by Selsey Bill on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Back from the Camridge United game

Post by richisbradders »

Agree with most of that. Jones's aerial ability was top notch yesterday, he just took everything put into the box in the second half.

I'm not sure if you listened to express on the way home, but they was questioning who would play right back on Tuesday as Webster is out, as is danny east. Am I missing something, but what was wrong with devera coming back in. He shored up the back really well. I thought Webster was on thin ice even before he got his second yellow with another bad tackle in-between the two.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

richisbradders wrote:Agree with most of that. Jones's aerial ability was top notch yesterday, he just took everything put into the box in the second half.

I'm not sure if you listened to express on the way home, but they was questioning who would play right back on Tuesday as Webster is out, as is danny east. Am I missing something, but what was wrong with devera coming back in. He shored up the back really well. I thought Webster was on thin ice even before he got his second yellow with another bad tackle in-between the two.
I agree about Devera and wonder if Awfs might revert to 3-5-2 on Tuesday, playing Chorley, Robinson and Devera at the back. It's Jack Whatmough's 18th birthday on Tuesday so he may give him the night off! We've also got Alex Wynter to come back in, assuming he has recovered from his clattering last Tuesday?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Many thanks for the report - interesting as always.

Couple of additional points from post-match interviews on BBC Radio Solent.

Andy Awford said that the reason for dropping Chorley was because he felt that Chorley needed a rest after two games - make of that what you like.

Danny Hollands said that Webster would face some ribbing from the team on Monday. But he thought that Webster, who was still young, had learnt a useful lesson.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Milton End wrote:Andy Awford said that the reason for dropping Chorley was because he felt that Chorley needed a rest after two games - make of that what you like.
Beneath that mild-mannered exterior - Awfs is both ruthless and clever. Yet he didn't say Chorley needed a rest because he was tired but rather about managing the fitness of players in the squad since games come thick and fast early on. That's not quite the same thing.

Awfs talks about the squad mentality and I think he is sincere in that approach.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Milton End wrote:Andy Awford said that the reason for dropping Chorley was because he felt that Chorley needed a rest after two games - make of that what you like.
Beneath that mild-mannered exterior - Awfs is both ruthless and clever. Yet he didn't say Chorley needed a rest because he was tired but rather about managing the fitness of players in the squad since games come thick and fast early on. That's not quite the same thing.

Awfs talks about the squad mentality and I think he is sincere in that approach.
Ruthless and clever? You make Awfs sound almost Machiavellian, LiT! One thing's for sure - he is shrewd beyond his years and is getting a sweet tune out of the playing staff. He also has yet to lose in the League since he took over the reins in our hour of need......that will surely happen eventually, but his man management skills will see us through and this team will continue to grow. Northampton - we should be careful, they could be a banana skin - good manager and a lot better than last term!

And SB - another master class of analysis and a report of substance that far exceeded the dross that appeared on the Web Site. Thanks for the detail - a complete appraisal of the good, the not so good and the ugly! It made for terrific reading.......
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks SB, masterful as usual! A blessing for us exiles.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
And SB - another master class of analysis and a report of substance that far exceeded the dross that appeared on the Web Site. Thanks for the detail - a complete appraisal of the good, the not so good and the ugly! It made for terrific reading.......
Thanks P'n'C, we have begged to differ in the past so your kind words mean a great deal to me.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Thanks again for another thread offering insight to the game.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Cheers SB :thumb Good report (as always).

There myself tomorrow (& Mrs Wally)
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Webster's first booking was a foul by Dunne but then again his second could have been a straight red