Assistance required - London hotels

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 20 times

Assistance required - London hotels

Post by Thats Rich »

Dear all,

I am going to one of NFL games at Wembley and want to make a weekend of it. I would like to drive to the outskirts of London and travel in by tube from the West of London.

Does anyone have any ideas of areas/hotels that are near a tube so I don't have to drive all the way to Wembley?

Cheers,

TR
Why always me!
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Assistance required - London hotels

Post by richisbradders »

Probably watford area so you could hop on the metropolitan or overground line I would say. Shouldn't be too expensive there.
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

Which game are you going to as I'm going to the cowboys game. First ever game as I keep missing the season when I go to the states.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by Thats Rich »

Cowboys game also but will be supporting the Jags.
Why always me!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Thats Rich wrote:Cowboys game also but will be supporting the Jags.
nobody in Florida does
Div III. Call it what it is.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Uxbridge, nestled between the A40 and the M25 just north of Heathrow and on the tube line to Wembley, is an adequate match for your requirements. However, it's not very exciting. And that's never going to be an understatement.

Don't drive at all is my advice. Let the train take the strain into the centre and look for a central hotel on the Jubilee or Metropolitan lines which stop at Wembley.

You can get some stupidly decent deals on 4-5* hotels in the City at the weekends when there are no business types staying. Lots of quiet alleys and streets reeking of history and which are surprisingly void of tourrorists who only congregate around the Tower. It's heavenly.

Apex City, Doubletree, Novotel, Grange City and the Guoman Tower hotels are all tucked around the Tower, you can get a great breakfast at the Liberty Bounds Wetherspoons pub overlooking the castle and the Metropolitan tube station at Aldgate is a few minutes walk away. As it's the start of the Met line there, you are also guaranteed a seat before the filthy hordes pour on further down the line. It's also very easy to get into the bright lights on the District/Circle lines or the 24hr No.15 bus route.
Simon
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Simon »

Trust me this is no joke, google West Ham Utd hotel, sat night double room £78 ish inc B&B. You stay in one of the executive boxes that they turn into a room with nice view over the pitch.Free parking outside in car park , you can even leave it there after checking out if you want to go into city for the day.On match days you have to check in or check out before/ after a certain time but all details are easily available. Thoroughly recommend it and its only a 5 min walk to underground station. O and fab breakfast as well.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Simon wrote:Trust me this is no joke, google West Ham Utd hotel, sat night double room £78 ish inc B&B. You stay in one of the executive boxes that they turn into a room with nice view over the pitch.Free parking outside in car park , you can even leave it there after checking out if you want to go into city for the day.On match days you have to check in or check out before/ after a certain time but all details are easily available. Thoroughly recommend it and its only a 5 min walk to underground station. O and fab breakfast as well.
This is a brilliant idea. You're guaranteed a terrace and a garden view.....but can you order Balti Pies and Bovril on room service?

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

and the bed could be very useful when the game's a bit boring. Do they wheel them in and out every match day? Very good idea but imagine the carnage at SMS if Westwood was allowed in!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Simon wrote:Trust me this is no joke, google West Ham Utd hotel
This is a brilliant idea. You're guaranteed a terrace and a garden view.....but can you order Balti Pies and Bovril on room service?
Perhaps the new North Stand at Fratton could include this alongside decent conference facilities. I wonder how profitable it is?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Simon wrote:Trust me this is no joke, google West Ham Utd hotel
Perhaps the new North Stand at Fratton could include this alongside decent conference facilities. I wonder how profitable it is?
I imagine these boxes are used most of the week so whatever it brings in (above the outlay of the beds etc..) is a bonus. Unless there are more profitable uses of the space.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

The bed is where Andy Carrol watches the games from
Div III. Call it what it is.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey1985 wrote:I imagine these boxes are used most of the week so whatever it brings in (above the outlay of the beds etc..) is a bonus. Unless there are more profitable uses of the space.
I was thinking labour costs more than fixed costs. Some costs are simply making the facilities at Upton Park more efficient (e.g. the restaurant serving corporate/hospitality also being used to serve breakfast). I agree the rooms will be used in a multi-functional way to maximise income. Its just that not many clubs do what West Ham did.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:The bed is where Andy Carrol watches the games from
Bwahahahaha...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I imagine these boxes are used most of the week so whatever it brings in (above the outlay of the beds etc..) is a bonus. Unless there are more profitable uses of the space.
I was thinking labour costs more than fixed costs. Some costs are simply making the facilities at Upton Park more efficient (e.g. the restaurant serving corporate/hospitality also being used to serve breakfast). I agree the rooms will be used in a multi-functional way to maximise income. Its just that not many clubs do what West Ham did.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:The bed is where Andy Carrol watches the games from
Bwahahahaha...
I believe similar is done at the empty stadium in Coventry, alongside its conferencing facilities.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by Thats Rich »

Dear all,

Thanks for the suggestions. Will sort out nearer the time when I may get a good deal somewhere.

Cheers,

TR
Why always me!