Glyndebourne

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Glyndebourne

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Been on my bucket list of things to do for a while and guess what? Tomorrow I go. Yay! Now half the pleasure of experiences like this is looking forward to it and showin' off about it but most of the people I've told have never heard of it! And then if you have to explain, it takes the showing off element away. Perhaps it's just a Sussex thing but I thought it was world famous.

Are any of you envious or are you going to say "what's Glyndebourne"? Don't mind if you say it's not your poison, but please say you've heard of it!
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Glyndebourne

Post by Weybridge »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Been on my bucket list of things to do for a while and guess what? Tomorrow I go. Yay! Now half the pleasure of experiences like this is looking forward to it and showin' off about it but most of the people I've told have never heard of it! And then if you have to explain, it takes the showing off element away. Perhaps it's just a Sussex thing but I thought it was world famous.

Are any of you envious or are you going to say "what's Glyndebourne"? Don't mind if you say it's not your poison, but please say you've heard of it!
I'm certainly well aware of it, but my feelings are pretty ambivalent about it. Probably a fantastic experience once you're there, but can't say I'm making any plans to go - this year or any other.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Have actually been to Glyndebourne. It is a good experience, especially if you have time to enjoy the house and gardens (and the weather is good!)

What are you actually going to see? I was at La Scala in Milan about three weeks ago - Mozart - Cosi Fan Tutte - technically good singing, but not really an opera that I would like to see again.

Hence, it partly depends what you are going to see and hear.....................

I am actually going to the Northampton match at Fratton Park tonight - potentially, a really tough game. Now that will be worth seeing. PUP!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

La Traviata - which I've never seen and this performance has had some excellent reviews. Getting there around 3pm for picnic and a wander and then dinner later (between acts I think - is that right?). Beyond excited.

A football match is a bit like an opera. Comedy and tragedy in equal measure.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Showing my age now but was taken to Glyndebourne by my father in the summer of 1975 to see 'The Rake's Progress'. Whilst at the time I was into a very different type of music, I really enjoyed the whole occasion. Interestingly, the set at the time was painted by David Hockney which I can recall far more about than the opera! In fairness, I was far to young to appreciate it, but would love to go again as I actually really like opera.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Admitting my ignorance here - never heard of it. But having Googled it, wow! I've only been to the Opera once, Tosca at the ENO. The aria in the second half (Vissi d'arte is it?) made the hairs on my back stand up - stunning. In fact, I'm going to have a quick youtube of Angela Gheorgio (sp?) singing it.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Been on my bucket list of things to do for a while and guess what? Tomorrow I go. Yay! Now half the pleasure of experiences like this is looking forward to it and showin' off about it but most of the people I've told have never heard of it! And then if you have to explain, it takes the showing off element away. Perhaps it's just a Sussex thing but I thought it was world famous.

Tonight, go as Ziggy Stardust - NOT Sawdust! Because that is how Glyndebourne will make you feel! Been a few times and I fancy this may become part of your social agenda - Enjoy!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:La Traviata - which I've never seen and this performance has had some excellent reviews. Getting there around 3pm for picnic and a wander and then dinner later (between acts I think - is that right?).
La Traviata is a great opera - saw it performed at the NIA in 2007 with Talise Trevigne as Violetta. You will be having a great time.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:La Traviata - which I've never seen and this performance has had some excellent reviews. Getting there around 3pm for picnic and a wander and then dinner later (between acts I think - is that right?).
La Traviata is a great opera - saw it performed at the NIA in 2007 with Talise Trevigne as Violetta. You will be having a great time.
I'm reading up on it now as I think it will help tomorrow. Haven't got to the end yet but I'm guessing she dies.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Haven't got to the end yet but I'm guessing she dies.
That's fairly typical - this is basically populist soap drama after all or Eastenders sung in Italian.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Been on my bucket list, too, Ziggy. Trouble is I'll never be able to afford it unless 'er indoors comes up on the lottery - and even then she might just leave me, taking the loot with her...

I've been to Glyndebourne before - but not with a ticket. Just parked the jam jar and wandered around the grounds pretending I was there bona fide like.

They had a really interesting documentary (on BBC4 iirc) fairly recently (couple of months back, I think). It showed the history of the place. Sadly it's almost certainly not on iPlayer any more....but it may be repeated at some time in the future.

Anyway, back to your visit to Glyndebourne, to say I'm jealous is an understatement. Hope you enjoy it as much as I think you will.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Certainly aware of it, and have driven past the entrance a few times, but I'd sooner watch Saints than opera :shock:

Sure you'll have a wonderful time though, just not my bag.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Glastonbrie for toffs innit. :thumb
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

EG - I will let you know if it lives up to expectations. Thankfully I'm being treated so my purse won't be too battered.
NSS - I cannot believe that any warm loving living human bean could not be touched by opera. You need someone to gently introduce you to it. I could gently introduce you to Saints - but then you already know what a joyous experience that is. Last time we met was at SMS and you were smiling!
BB - I think you'll find that Glastonbury is actually the toff's festival nowadays but I must be getting old because that holds no attraction for me whatsoever. Stuck for days with the great unwashed British public with no means of escape. No thanks!
Poacher Chimes
Martin Kuhl

Post by Poacher Chimes »

Enjoy Ziggy.

I'm a Baroque and Oratorio man myself. Saw 'The Sixteen' in Lincoln Cathedral this year.