Back from the game - A load of Cobblers

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Back from the game - A load of Cobblers

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:A bit more love for Joe Devera, please.

I thought he was really solid last night, and didn't see the many mistakes that other people are highlighting. He is never going to offer much going forward, especially if at RB, and he tends to just clear the ball somewhere in the direction of Taylor, but at least he gets it away. Strong in the air considering he is shorter than most CBs. He has that happy knack of slicing the ball into touch when he does get things wrong (as Linvoy Primus always did, and the exact opposite of Dan Butler who slices infield).

On at least three occasions last night Devera tracked an attacker all the way from the RB area across the penalty box to prevent a meaningful attempt on goal. The crowd might then just jeer at the attacker's miss, but these things don't happen by accident, and contrasts with too many of our recent RBs/RCBs who have been happy to pass runners on to other people.
I agree entirely, hence my quip earlier in this thread. I thought Joe's performance for us last night was possibly/probably his best since joining us.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

it just made a change to enjoy watching a pompey team play with confidence rather than the dross we've had for the last few years
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I'm in the South Upper with the coffin-dodgers and their flasks and rugs. Even though I'm only 27.
Ah, I must've looked down at the wrong moment (probably at the wife :lol: ) - just remember being surprised that the ball made it to him. The Snooze has backed you up with the description of the pass with the outside of the boot, so right you are guvnor!

(I'm still not buying this 27 years old malarkey! - Deffo in with us 'Grumpy old men'!) :D
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
pompeywight
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pompeywight »

Thanks all great to read all these detailed reports
pompey and east cowes vics forever
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

This Time Next Year wrote:
Jones - 6 - Had (virtually) nothing to do. Coped well when being closed down, but not the best distributor.
Devera - 5 - Guilty for most of the silly mistakes at the back but got away with them today. Worked hard though and didn't let them get to him.
Robinson - 6- Much smaller than I was expecting, but coped well and didn't take any nonsense
Chorley (c) - 6 - Much bigger than I was expecting, again a few silly mistakes but coped with their forwards.
Holmes - 7- Full of running, no surprise he went off, was tired just watching him, deserved his ovation.
Atangana - 7 - Seemed to sweep up a lot of the loose stuff in the middle.
Dunne - 8 - Classy player, stand out player at this level.
Wallace - 7 - Full of running, not afraid to get stuck in.
Shorey - 9 - My man of the match, may have not been up and down for every through ball, but looked far too good for this league tonight.
Westcarr - 8 - Always looking for the through ball.
Taylor - 5 - Didn't do much for me, would have taken him off instead of Westcarr based on performance alone.
Once again TTNY, thanks again for your great report, and we're playing Dagenham & Redbridge at home on Tuesday 16th September and Stevenage at home on Tuesday 21st October so hope to be reading your reports after those two!

Last night's was the most comfortable victory that I can remember for us in quite a while. If Northampton are one of the favourites to win the league, then we must have a great chance! I appreciate it is very early days, but Cambridge look a far better bet to me. They were far better and made The Cobblers look ponderous. We did play very well tonight and really seem to be gelling as a team now.

A couple of points with regards to your scoring, I have already begged to differ earlier in this thread about Devera, but I will also about Westcarr and Shorey. I suppose if you've not seen him play for us before, you could think Shorey was our MOTM, but he plays like that week in, week out, and lets not forget he is an ex PL player so you might expect that. By the way, the player Shorey mugged down the left to send the pass to Wallace to score was Daniel Alfei, on loan to us from Swansea for part of last season.

Westcarr took his goal well last night, but other than that there is no way he was better than Taylor IMHO. I'm glad Westcarr scored as he looks like a player lacking in confidence, but he is LAZY, in contrast to Taylor who is one of our unsung heroes. Admittedly he didn't have his best game for us last night, but I think he was jaded from Saturday.

What I love about football is that everyone sees things differently, but for me, our three best players were Jed, Atangana and Dunne. Jed had his best game for us for months, big Nigel just keeps getting better and better, and Dunne will become our captain one day if I had my way. He was outstanding last night. However, Jed was oour MOTM for me. He was here, there and everywhere. What an engine that lad has.

Final word for Awford who was quite brave in his selection again, but yet again it proved successful. He is starting to demonstrate that he is far more than just 'Pompey through and through'. He has tactically awareness and nous beyond his years, and obviously is an astute man manager as he seems to be keeping out squad very happy right now with his rotation.

Play up Pompey!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Thanks for all the reports - always interesting.

Just to add that I also was at the game and was particularly impressed with Nigel Atangana - strong, assured, accurate, clever. MOTM without a doubt in my opinion.

He reminded me of Sully Muntari. If he continues like this and strengthens over the next few months, I can see him being poached by a club in a higher division. He only has a two-year contract with PFC.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Cheers fellows; I live in awe of your journalism.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

"Pompey Player" had the highlights (extended rather than the Youtube ones), and showed Atangana's pass to Storey, (filmed from the South Stand). Definitely looks a clever little dink with the outside of his boot (couldn't really see it that way from the North Stand) - you would've had a similar view MTB. I reckon some could see that as 'not meant', but he was so good, I think he did.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Post by This Time Next Year »

So in summary we're all agreed...

The whole team played well,
we never looked under much threat,
someone in the midfield 5 was probably man of the match,
things are looking good for the season ahead...

(did I miss anything?)
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Selsey Bill wrote:I'm glad Westcarr scored as he looks like a player lacking in confidence, but he is LAZY, in contrast to Taylor who is one of our unsung heroes.
No, no, no, no, no,no, no! Without wishing to sound patronising, I think you have completely misunderstood the difference in the two players' roles. Taylor is the target man, he mainly faces his own team, his job is to be always available, win the ball, hold the ball, bring other players into the game. Westcarr's job is to be on the shoulders of the last defender, facing forwards, alert to any through ball (such as the one he scored from). This role may make him look lazy, but only if your thinking is lazy. Both players did exactly what was asked of them.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Post by This Time Next Year »

A couple of occasions in the first half, Westcarr picked up the through ball, then instead of taking on the last defender held the ball up waiting for support to arrive. The fact Taylor took so long to arrive (if at all) suggests quite the opposite, and that Taylor is lazy.

I find myself agreeing with MTB , lazy is nasty word to use here.

From a hockey players perspective, in my team last season we had one player who played in the middle of the park, he was always offering himself up for the ball, he was always an option to pass to as play built up, working off his marker and passing it on. On the other hand we had another player who was always bombing up and down the wing.

Both very different styles of play. Both essential to an effective attack.

One player never pushed forward at much more than a jog, the other was rarely available to pass to. Neither are lazy.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

This Time Next Year wrote:I find myself agreeing with MTB , lazy is nasty word to use here.
I would have let it go if he hadn't capitalised the word 'lazy'.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:I'm glad Westcarr scored as he looks like a player lacking in confidence, but he is LAZY, in contrast to Taylor who is one of our unsung heroes.
No, no, no, no, no,no, no! Without wishing to sound patronising, I think you have completely misunderstood the difference in the two players' roles. Taylor is the target man, he mainly faces his own team, his job is to be always available, win the ball, hold the ball, bring other players into the game. Westcarr's job is to be on the shoulders of the last defender, facing forwards, alert to any through ball (such as the one he scored from). This role may make him look lazy, but only if your thinking is lazy. Both players did exactly what was asked of them.
MTB, you are not sounding patronising, just expressing your views! I do get the difference between their roles, but I am going to stick to my guns in saying that I think Westcarr is a little lazy. This may sound a little odd, but I'm hoping this is manifesting itself due to a lack of confidence. However, in his defence, I listened to his post-match interview on Pompey Player last night and I saw a different side to the chap. Whilst not the sharpest, I really liked the way he came across. Seems like a nice fella.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I prefer not to think of forwards as lazy, more saving their energy. I have no problem with a 'lazy' forward who springs into life at the right moments and gets the goals. Think Yakubu he ran when he thought he could score, and often he would.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey1985 wrote:I prefer not to think of forwards as lazy, more saving their energy. I have no problem with a 'lazy' forward who springs into life at the right moments and gets the goals. Think Yakubu he ran when he thought he could score, and often he would.
I like this because it is so true. Some players are energy bunnies who can run constantly and you need players like that in your team. But you also need calm heads who can seize an opportunity when it presents itself. Westcarr is a clever forward who produced a nice calm finish on Tuesday night lifting the ball over the keeper.

Besides, its early in the season and players aren't up to speed yet. Its too early to judge. As Frank Burrows (name-drop) said to me at the Boys of 79 evening: players need a little patience from fans.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.