Abort and start again

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Abort and start again

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 81549.html

He's a charmer isn't he? Even the Daily Mash is struggling with to satirise him.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scie ... 4082189774
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Abort and start again

Post by blue architect »

I am sitting at my PC reading this cr*p from Dawkins, overwhelmed with anger, frustration and with tears welling up.
I want to tell this f*kkr about my son, who has Down Syndrome, about how much happiness he gives to those around him and how proud I am that he is my son.
Oh and let that meeting be on a dark night....
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

It annoyed me BA - such views are what drove eugenics to be intellectually acceptable. Dawkins is an educated fool.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Chopper Dave »

Going by those comments I wouldn't give him the honour of being educated. He's just a fool.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Just seen this and I'm absolutely shocked and speechless. I follow him on Twitter but missed this.

As a Zoology graduate, I read his very first book, The Selfish Gene, and have pretty much read every one since. He has always been a man I have admired, but that has just changed. One of my family has DS, and the very thought of him not being in this world saddens me. Not sure what else to say right now.

PS Sounds like he has lost all sight of realism
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I'm really disturbed that he's being called a philosopher. He's not: he's a biologist (not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, it's just that it's different to being a philosopher. It would be equally wrong to call a philosopher a biologist).

Philosophers I have met think he's a fool of the first magnitude and this is just further evidence to support that view.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Shocking. There should be a test for Dawkins Syndrome. He seems to lack any kind of compassion or emotional sensitivity, not only in this instance but others too like "date rape isn't as bad as stranger rape".
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

I watched a " five minutes with " interview with him . Thought very highly of him , but this is simply sickening & shocking .

My sisters first child was born and they turned the life support off after 2 days as there was no sign of life . Is he seriously suggesting that IF James could have lived , he should not have ben allowed to ?

BA I am full of admiration for people like you , and people like RD has F**K off .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

ahhhh Dawkins Dawkins......he's just found a new way to get under y'alls skin which happens when his topics hit close to home.
See here, most of y'all are cheering the chap on when he makes Christians feel like a lower form of dog turd but when the topic de jour gets to your personal level its less comfortable eh what?

Now kudos to those of you that have sacrificed much to raise such children....but Mr Dawkins is not suggesting existing lives be snuffed out is he? I think he is saying with todays tech it is possible to know ahead of time if your child/fetus is affected and so now some of us are fortunate enough to have a choice. And he is simply recommending Choice A.......Unless you are vehemently anti abortion I'm not sure you should be condemning those that get to make that choice.

I'll give you his comments on it being immoral....that's just stupid.

Now, as I'm all in as they say in poker ...lets rack his rape comments too.
Stranger rape at knifepoint IS worse than date rape...........how can there be any argument otherwise?
There are different degrees and levels of every other crime I can think of.

Anyhoo don't let poor Mr Dawkins get y'all riled up.....he's just seeking attention to keep himself relevant.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:ahhhh Dawkins Dawkins......he's just found a new way to get under y'alls skin which happens when his topics hit close to home.
See here, most of y'all are cheering the chap on when he makes Christians feel like a lower form of dog turd but when the topic de jour gets to your personal level its less comfortable eh what?

Now kudos to those of you that have sacrificed much to raise such children....but Mr Dawkins is not suggesting existing lives be snuffed out is he? I think he is saying with todays tech it is possible to know ahead of time if your child/fetus is affected and so now some of us are fortunate enough to have a choice. And he is simply recommending Choice A.......Unless you are vehemently anti abortion I'm not sure you should be condemning those that get to make that choice.

I'll give you his comments on it being immoral....that's just stupid.

Now, as I'm all in as they say in poker ...lets rack his rape comments too.
Stranger rape at knifepoint IS worse than date rape...........how can there be any argument otherwise?
There are different degrees and levels of every other crime I can think of.

Anyhoo don't let poor Mr Dawkins get y'all riled up.....he's just seeking attention to keep himself relevant.
Not me . I don't believe in the existence of god as such , but I do agree in SOMETHING after life . I just respect RD's points of view on that subject . But for him to say what he has , is IMHO totally DISGUSTING .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Well, as I said...I agree his use of the word "immoral" is out of order but I'm not seeing his presentation of the stark choices available as disgusting.

What would you do if, in early pregnancy, you got such a diagnosis then?

Many would abort would they not?.....So what's the problem with giving that advice?.....it's really just that Mr. Dawkins chooses a very direct style to give it in.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Well, as I said...I agree his use of the word "immoral" is out of order but I'm not seeing his presentation of the stark choices available as disgusting.

What would you do if, in early pregnancy, you got such a diagnosis then?

Many would abort would they not?.....So what's the problem with giving that advice?.....it's really just that Mr. Dawkins chooses a very direct style to give it in.
Me I would not abort and give the child all the love and attention it needed ,. And yes I know my sister would have done the same , but tests proved there was no life .
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Now, as I'm all in as they say in poker ...lets rack his rape comments too.
Ooooh dear oh dear! Perhaps you should share all your personal experiences of being raped to support your and his argument. There is no form of "mild rape". Date-raped women can lose confidence in themselves so badly they can end up never trusting men enough to have a relationship, and can end up missing out on a family life.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Now, as I'm all in as they say in poker ...lets rack his rape comments too.
Ooooh dear oh dear! Perhaps you should share all your personal experiences of being raped to support your and his argument. There is no form of "mild rape". Date-raped women can lose confidence in themselves so badly they can end up never trusting men enough to have a relationship, and can end up missing out on a family life.
didn't say mild though...neither did Dawkins. Because the second may be worse than the first does not make the first not appalling.
I don't need a personal experience of murder to know there are different degrees of it.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
didn't say mild though...neither did Dawkins. Because the second may be worse than the first does not make the first not appalling.
I don't need a personal experience of murder to know there are different degrees of it.
I could give you examples of where the 1st is more damaging than the 2nd. It's a ridiculous argument. Every rape/murder is different.