A nice drop of the "red stuff"

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

A nice drop of the "red stuff"

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

As we are in a celebration mood, a recommend for all red wine lovers. Asda (of all places) have a Cote de Rhone Cru on special offer at £8 a bottle.

It is called Vacqueyras a smaller Appellation not far from Chateauneuf du Pape, similar but better (in my opinion) and certainly less expensive. Serve it at a warm room temperature. Superb with red meat, just had a steak with half of the bottle!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacqueyras_AOC
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Re: A nice drop of the "red stuff"

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I'm not in celebratory mood having just lost a whole afternoon of my life on dull dull dullness of the dullest magnitude (I was at SMS) but always glad to get a recommendation of a tasty tipple.

Any ideas of how to get it without venturing into an ASDA (been there, done it, never again) or the embarrassment of my neighbours seeing an ASDA delivery van outside mine?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Go to M & S and they sell it for about £12. Lidl have had it and maybe your store may stock it for between 9-£10
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
Any ideas of how to get it without venturing into an ASDA (been there, done it, never again) or the embarrassment of my neighbours seeing an ASDA delivery van outside mine?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I'm not in celebratory mood having just lost a whole afternoon of my life on dull dull dullness of the dullest magnitude (I was at SMS) but always glad to get a recommendation of a tasty tipple.

Disguise yourself .........Biggy Fartdust.......wig, enormous fake breasts......sneak in, buy a case, slink home.
No one will know.
It'll be just like going to St Marys......
Div III. Call it what it is.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I'm very fond of Vacqueras, and the somewhat similar Gigondas. £8 for either of these in England is a good deal. By comparison, Soixantneuf du Pape is overpriced.

I'll be donning a disguise and getting down to Asda later (red & white stripes, perhaps... no, I couldn't, not even for a trip to Asda).
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

What a scary thread..! :shock:
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Sounds to me like you'll be well up for whining after that game. ASDA may be the least of your worries :)
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I'm not in celebratory mood having just lost a whole afternoon of my life on dull dull dullness of the dullest magnitude (I was at SMS) but always glad to get a recommendation of a tasty tipple.

Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
sacre blue
Interim Manager

Post by sacre blue »

I stock up with Cotes du Rhone on my trips to France - very acceptable quality at £1.20 a bottle.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

sacre blue wrote:I stock up with Cotes du Rhone on my trips to France - very acceptable quality at £1.20 a bottle.
Red diesel was only 79p/litre on the Cowes fuel berth today. Probably tastes as good and the ferry is cheaper too.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="<dj.>"]I'm very fond of Vacqueras, and the somewhat similar Gigondas. £8 for either of these in England is a good deal. By comparison, Soixantneuf du Pape is overpriced.

I'll be donning a disguise and getting down to Asda later (red & white stripes, perhaps... no, I couldn't, not even for a trip to Asda).[/quote]

Vinsobres and Beaumes de Venise are another two up and coming fairly recent Appellations from the same area which if you spot you should try. Gigondas is one of my favourites too, but tends to be a bit pricey over here. Although even buying direct from a Producer in the area, when we are there, the price has increased dramatically in recent times.
sacre blue
Interim Manager

Post by sacre blue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
sacre blue wrote:I stock up with Cotes du Rhone on my trips to France - very acceptable quality at £1.20 a bottle.
Red diesel was only 79p/litre on the Cowes fuel berth today. Probably tastes as good and the ferry is cheaper too.
Don't think you know much about wine.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

sacre blue wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Don't think you know much about wine.
Enough not to drink a £1.20 bottle of plonk!
Dr Watson
Robbie Pethick

Post by Dr Watson »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Enough not to drink a £1.20 bottle of plonk!
You're a victim of the wine snobs!

I'm sure I would enjoy BlueinPLtwenty's Vacqueyras but you can get a perfectly decent, quaffable Cotes du Rhones (for those occasions when Pompey haven't won away) from £4.99 in supermarkets at home. As sacre bleu rightly points out the equivalent will cost you as little as 1.50 euros in France (away from the Channel ports).

(Don't tell Mrs Hudson)
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

FFS why not do the proper thing and just have a pint.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929