Kate's Bush

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Re: Kate's Bush

Post by miltoninLA »

Was at a Chris Isaak concert recently (hey I'm an old fart) and he encouraged everyone to use their Iphones, saying "do you think I get dressed up like this (he was wearing a sequined jacket) NOT to be photographed?".
PS The Hollywood Bowl looks great with 10,000 waving their phones in time to the music.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

..interesting that Elton John described "Don't Give Up" - the duet by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - as the "song that saved his life", I know where he's coming from.

Seems they have a big bond, he spoke of her being a guest at his party (who everyone wanted to meet, no surprise). A blast from the past, as Kate returns a compliment, back in 1991... (How can she get away with covering "Rocket Man"?? - but she *does*)

[youtube][/youtube]
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
schmindie
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by schmindie »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:..interesting that Elton John described "Don't Give Up" - the duet by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - as the "song that saved his life", I know where he's coming from.

Seems they have a big bond, he spoke of her being a guest at his party (who everyone wanted to meet, no surprise). A blast from the past, as Kate returns a compliment, back in 1991... (How can she get away with covering "Rocket Man"?? - but she *does*)

[youtube][/youtube]
By all accounts the b-side (another elton cover) is horrendous. You must be right about the 'hit and miss' :)
If you've got something left to say, you'd better say it now.
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

the-future-is-blue wrote:Kate Bush - a great singer, songwriter - a little odd-ball perhaps, but very inventive. Like many lads at the time, I had a crush on her :oops: , that aside, some of her songs are quite brilliant. Wuthering Heights was in the charts when we had huge snow drifts (start of 1978), 4 days cut off from civilisation, it was played a lot on radio 1 - happy days ! ...
I remember there was snow about, and seeing/hearing her - as #1 presumably, and it all got a bit muddled-up (as it would in an 8 year's old head I suppose) :)
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

[schmindie] wrote:By all accounts the b-side (another elton cover) is horrendous. You must be right about the 'hit and miss' :)
Is that the 'Candle in the Wind' cover? - I've not heard it, but yep, it don't sound too promising! (from reports) :) There are whole sides of albums that I've not liked, got to admit I've preferred what would be considered her 'mainstream' work. I've got Aerial/50 words for Snow/The Director's Cut here - her last 3. Wouldn't mind a DVD of the "The Whole Story" - but I don't think it exists (I remember there was a VHS tape). Heard that there's a fair bit of the "Ninth Wave" (2nd side of 'Hounds of Love') in the show, which isn't 'top of my list'. Rave reviews for how spectacular it's been though. Sounds a ******* brilliant spectacle/experience.

P.S. Should (heaven forbid), your partner suffer a nasty case of the trots on the day (or something), I'll more than happily pay my way, buy you a T-shirt & refreshments, a programme, hell I'll even stand in line for an hour or two & hold your hand. (..and I promise not to waive my phone around as well). :thumb :wink:

Actually, for the rest of us mortals, may have to do a Cincinnati Kid-stylee one-off show of some of her stuff sometime in the midst of her run. (Purely to 'annoy' Ziggy of course) - serving no other purpose whatsoever.

(...you shouldn't really need an excuse to put up the 'Babooshka' vid anyway)
:D
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by clairewanderingaimlessly »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Apparently she didn't do Wuthering Heights and David Bowie and Madonna were in the audience. Concert goers said it was beautiful and cosmic - but they would, wouldn't they? Never got her meself. Too screechy. She did a song about a washing machine once. One of the strangest things I've ever heard.

I would have love to have seen her but I would have been very dissapointed about her not doing Wuthering Heights x
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

Back from the gig.

This may be considered Heresy in certain places.

Different. But I did enjoy it.

It is not the most life changing / affirming / spectacular gig your ever going to see. Despite the reviews

It's good and, at times, completely incomprehensible which is what I wanted / expected. There were times when I wanted to laugh like a drain at the pomposity of it all and the complete reverence and awe that people held Ms Bush in. People who, despite clamouring for tickets, couldn't be arsed to buy her last album and just wanted to be seen AT the concert.

Two sea horses coming out of the audience to rescue Kate from the sea. Pure Spinal Tap.

Limited tickets were on sale on the night and I believe on The Hammersmith Eventime site but you have to be quick / turn up and queue.

So. Pretentious Bollux and an audience full of luvies desperate to selfie but we're worried they might get lynched. You should've seen the rush down to the front of the stage to take photos of themselves at the interval.

Enjoy.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

The Beautiful Game wrote:Back from the gig.

It is not the most life changing / affirming / spectacular gig your ever going to see. Despite the reviews

It's good and, at times, completely incomprehensible which is what I wanted / expected. There were times when I wanted to laugh like a drain at the pomposity of it all and the complete reverence and awe that people held Ms Bush in. People who, despite clamouring for tickets, couldn't be arsed to buy her last album and just wanted to be seen AT the concert.

Two sea horses coming out of the audience to rescue Kate from the sea. Pure Spinal Tap.

Limited tickets were on sale on the night and I believe on The Hammersmith Eventime site but you have to be quick / turn up and queue.

So. Pretentious Bollux and an audience full of luvies desperate to selfie but we're worried they might get lynched. You should've seen the rush down to the front of the stage to take photos of themselves at the interval.

Enjoy.
I am guessing you never got the Kate Bush PR assistant role then :rofl
Heaven's Light Our Guide
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

Portchester PFC wrote:

Enjoy.
I am guessing you never got the Kate Bush PR assistant role then :rofl
No but the person who did must be pissing themselves.
As I said it was good. But not so life affirming as social media luvvies would have you believe.

Oh well did say criticism might be considered Heresy.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Enjoy.
Brilliant review, Mr Beautiful. Good bad and ridiculous. Just what I expected - except I imagined it more the other way round. I'd love to go though just for the experience. Better than Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile on a Sunday night.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I get the impression that a Kate Bush gig is like a piece of modern art.
Fawning clever people telling us proles that we should like it because we'd be clever too.... when the FACT of the matter is its a steaming pile of pooh with a couple of bits that aren't too smelly
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Aww, though good to have another review from someone who actually went. I can well imagine 'luvvies' and those that wanted to be seen, and those who wanted to plaster *something* on myface or tw@tter.

I haven't a clue as I've only read the reviews, but it seems to me it was a 'spectacle' - a show. Would love to have gone, and yep, I get doe-eyed at Ms Bush, but she is so different, such a vocal range, I'm glad that the reviews have generally been good.

Have to admit, I've bought her (new) albums without hearing them (once I caught up with her aged about 15), which was about the time 'Hounds of Love' came out, then my sister bought me 'The Whole Story', and I knew some of the songs had crept into my mind from younger childhood. There's only a handful of artists I would do that with - catching up with the back catalogue too.

It's been interesting reminiscing over her career, and seems I'm not alone in lamenting the loss of the Whole Story on VHS - but they're all there on YouToob. She is visual, a great dancer, choreographer, well read & seems (also) a fairly regular person - even if she comes across a bit 'mad' (at least) in some of her 'presentations'. I'm glad she's hit back in form, I'd forgotten the 'she's got fat' backchat of a few years ago (etc). Doing well with the albums all in the charts (set a new record I think - only Elvis' death and the Beatles outdoing her for albums in the chart at once).

Appreciate she's not everyone's bag of course. And understand a lot is going to seem pretentious, I think there's a fine line sometimes with a lot in the art spectrum. She merges genres in video & performance, and generally I like it. But sometimes some 'stuff' reminds me of some of the neglected corners of me Bjork collection, it's a little too 'off the wall' or maybe I'm just too thick too appreciate (yep, ok, I know that's a bit of a cop out). :)

Powerful though, and yep, still would've loved to see the show.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Apparently she has 8 albums in the top 40 album chart this week, have to say I was a big fan at 18 but I don't understand buying tickets these days , they're always sold out but available at twice the price on a "secondhand" website owned by the people who sold the tickets in the first place
schmindie
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by schmindie »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:
[schmindie] wrote:By all accounts the b-side (another elton cover) is horrendous. You must be right about the 'hit and miss' :)
Is that the 'Candle in the Wind' cover? - I've not heard it, but yep, it don't sound too promising! (from reports) :) There are whole sides of albums that I've not liked, got to admit I've preferred what would be considered her 'mainstream' work. I've got Aerial/50 words for Snow/The Director's Cut here - her last 3. Wouldn't mind a DVD of the "The Whole Story" - but I don't think it exists (I remember there was a VHS tape). Heard that there's a fair bit of the "Ninth Wave" (2nd side of 'Hounds of Love') in the show, which isn't 'top of my list'. Rave reviews for how spectacular it's been though. Sounds a ******* brilliant spectacle/experience.

P.S. Should (heaven forbid), your partner suffer a nasty case of the trots on the day (or something), I'll more than happily pay my way, buy you a T-shirt & refreshments, a programme, hell I'll even stand in line for an hour or two & hold your hand. (..and I promise not to waive my phone around as well). :thumb :wink:

Actually, for the rest of us mortals, may have to do a Cincinnati Kid-stylee one-off show of some of her stuff sometime in the midst of her run. (Purely to 'annoy' Ziggy of course) - serving no other purpose whatsoever.

So, turned out we were in the front row last Wednesday - sat no more than six feet away from Kate Bush - purely by chance, must have been one of the first to get through for tickets and choose a gig in the middle of the tour. I'm no aficionado with regard to her back catalogue but it was both brilliant and bonkers - she's still in position of an amazing voice. Completely understand why she's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Going again for the final show - next Wednesday. I was hoping to 'donate' my ticket but was the 'lead booker' - they were properly rigid about checking id both upon ticket collection and before going in to the gig so looks like i'll have to go again. At least I know she was good last time....
If you've got something left to say, you'd better say it now.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

[schmindie] wrote:
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:

So, turned out we were in the front row last Wednesday - sat no more than six feet away from Kate Bush - purely by chance, must have been one of the first to get through for tickets and choose a gig in the middle of the tour. I'm no aficionado with regard to her back catalogue but it was both brilliant and bonkers - she's still in position of an amazing voice. Completely understand why she's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Going again for the final show - next Wednesday. I was hoping to 'donate' my ticket but was the 'lead booker' - they were properly rigid about checking id both upon ticket collection and before going in to the gig so looks like i'll have to go again. At least I know she was good last time....

Ooh, he's here again...
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."