Sorry to get all political on your ass...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Sorry to get all political on your ass...

Post by RubiconCSL »

but, really?

headline: Israel to take over West Bank land
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29008045

So if this is true, Israel is going to basically do exactly what Russia is doing in Ukraine. The whole of the west is completely in shock at Russia, but Israel can simply do what it likes.

Now I am most definitely not anti any race. But how can this be legal? My knowledge of this part of the world is a bit limited, but aren't Israel simply annexing part of a neighbouring country? Now where have we seen that recently nearer home?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Re: Sorry to get all political on your ass...

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

RubiconCSL wrote:but, really?

So if this is true, Israel is going to basically do exactly what Russia is doing in Ukraine. The whole of the west is completely in shock at Russia, but Israel can simply do what it likes.

Now I am most definitely not anti any race. But how can this be legal? My knowledge of this part of the world is a bit limited, but aren't Israel simply annexing part of a neighbouring country? Now where have we seen that recently nearer home?
Well, Alex Salmond is doing the same with Scotland -let's all sing 'A spoonful of sugar helps a referendum do down' etc etc! If your ego is big enough, you can get away with anything......
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:Well, Alex Salmond is doing the same with Scotland -let's all sing 'A spoonful of sugar helps a referendum do down' etc etc! If your ego is big enough, you can get away with anything......
Self-determination of a population within a country is not the same thing as annexing an independent state.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Palestine/Gaza/West Bank is not (yet) an independent state but still part of Israel. Israel has been chipping and snipping away at the Palestinian territories with impunity for a long while now, this is just a bit larger a slice than usual.

A courageous and right-minded US President could enforce a two-state solution and end this horror once and for all. Maybe one in the last few years of his second term.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:A courageous and right-minded US President could enforce a two-state solution and end this horror once and for all. Maybe one in the last few years of his second term.
A two-state solution helps generate the horror. Why is this seen as a panacea?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:

Palestine/Gaza/West Bank is not (yet) an independent state but still part of Israel. Israel has been chipping and snipping away at the Palestinian territories with impunity for a long while now, this is just a bit larger a slice than usual.

A courageous and right-minded US President could enforce a two-state solution and end this horror once and for all. Maybe one in the last few years of his second term.
No one outside the conlict, not even the US, recognises the West Bank or Gaza to be part of Israel. They are 'occupied territory'
Guy Whittingham

Here comes AFC wrote:

No one outside the conlict, not even the US, recognises the West Bank or Gaza to be part of Israel. They are 'occupied territory'
Yeah, I'm aware of the national and supranational recognitions. However, until the Palestinian territories gain sovereign status and the borders are recognised...
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Here comes AFC wrote:

Yeah, I'm aware of the national and supranational recognitions. However, until the Palestinian territories gain sovereign status and the borders are recognised...
Well if you ignore UN Resolution 118, 194 etc that clearly lay down borders of a Palestinian state. Let's not confuse recognition of a government that controls an estate with the real estate.

Rubi is not wrong in that, whatever the international community may say, there are endless examples of the sword being mightier than the pen and that the international community's response may be 'clouded' by considerations beyond right/wrong. Russia is de facto the sovereign state of Crimea and parts of Ukraine; much as what is a significant part of Israel and the 'Palestinian' occupied territories are under de facto Israeli control despite never having been part of the 'Jewish' territory as laid down by the UN.
Guy Whittingham

Here comes AFC wrote:
Here comes AFC wrote:

Well if you ignore UN Resolution 118, 194 etc that clearly lay down borders of a Palestinian state. Let's not confuse recognition of a government that controls an estate with the real estate.

Rubi is not wrong in that, whatever the international community may say, there are endless examples of the sword being mightier than the pen and that the international community's response may be 'clouded' by considerations beyond right/wrong. Russia is de facto the sovereign state of Crimea and parts of Ukraine; much as what is a significant part of Israel and the 'Palestinian' occupied territories are under de facto Israeli control despite never having been part of the 'Jewish' territory as laid down by the UN.
Seriously, I'm aware of the various UN recognitions, I'm not telling porkies.....but until *Israel* recognises the borders, UN declarations (of which there have indeed been many but which sadly mean nothing until all sides accept them, due to the lack of UNSC enforcement behind them - see my earlier point about a "courageous US President") mean nowt and Israel can and will continue to carve off slices of Palestinian land.

The UN does not create international law but merely progresses through international negotiation or, if such cannot be obtained, through a UNSC Resolution and subsequent action...which requires the UNSC P5 to reach a mutual agreement, something we are yet to see on this issue.