Advantages of getting rid of scotland...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Advantages of getting rid of scotland...

Post by Milkins »

1. We won't have to listen to alex salmond any more.

2. No more edinburgh Tattoo on the telly.

3. The average life expectancy of the UK will rise by several years.

4. The BBC won't have to suck up to scottish things any more - my licence fee will be better spent.

5. There will be entertaining reports of tax hikes, companies abandoning the place and money markets charging them huge rates of interest for borrowing when they default on their part of the UK debt following ejection from the sterling collective.

6. Endless hours of fun watching it crash and burn as the scots realise they've been sold a pup by a maniac intent on making himself de facto king of scotland and lording it over the land.

People of scotland - VOTE YES!!!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Re: Advantages of getting rid of scotland...

Post by ddavis »

Oh I hope they do.

At least 3 years of entertainment to be had when Salmond actually has to try and make it work.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

As entertaining as it might be if you're predictions were to result from a Yes vote, half the population of the newly declared People's Republic of Salmondland will just packs their bags and head south of the border :shock:
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:As entertaining as it might be if you're predictions were to result from a Yes vote, half the population of the newly declared People's Republic of Salmondland will just packs their bags and head south of the border :shock:
Maybe, but at least it will be the thoughtful and considered half who may be of use to our economy. The boneheads will stay and help take the place back to the middle ages, their only income being from curiosity tourism as travellers wonder at the antics of grubby skirt wearers living in caves and give over a few Euro cents in return for selfies with them.

Still, at least they can use the oil to soak rags for lighting the caves...
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

What gets me is that at the moment Scotland is part of MY country - I was born when the rules said I'm British and Scotland is part of Britain...

...so why don't I get a vote on an issue where I could lose a biggish chunk of MY country?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

But seriously folks...

It's all very well having a go at Scotland and hoping they leave and predicting their doom and getting out the Braveheart/kilt/haggis gags. Really though....this is all because y'all are a bit peeved that they would want to leave like the comfortable ex girlfriend you used to have y'all got a tad bitter taste about the issue

But the reality is it would be an absolute crying shame to see them leave and I think instead of the bravado and the yeah...why don't yall fek off routine, y'all would be a lot better off having a strong semi political group asking them to please stay because actually, y'all quite like each other.... grudgingly.

The UK is a relatively big player on the world stage in relation to it's size.
England alone.....not so much.
Div III. Call it what it is.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Just had a horrible thought. They might pack their bagpipes as well as their bags.

Please, VOTE NO!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

What's the current polling?

and is "No"....no we don't wanna go Jimmy
or no, we didna wanna stay
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:But seriously folks...

It's all very well having a go at Scotland and hoping they leave and predicting their doom and getting out the Braveheart/kilt/haggis gags. Really though....this is all because y'all are a bit peeved that they would want to leave like the comfortable ex girlfriend you used to have y'all got a tad bitter taste about the issue

But the reality is it would be an absolute crying shame to see them leave and I think instead of the bravado and the yeah...why don't yall fek off routine, y'all would be a lot better off having a strong semi political group asking them to please stay because actually, y'all quite like each other.... grudgingly.

The pro-UK campaign has had to fight a genetically ingrained resentment of all things English. Plus there's a Tory government. Plus a brutal austerity programme.

It's a miracle they're still ahead in the polls!
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

I don't buy that idea - as far as I can remember most of the conversations during my lifetime have not really taken anything scottish into account. I have a feeling that most people South of Hadrian's Wall don't give a flying burrito brother about what happens up there and will almost certainly not notice if a few signs are changed on the border. Not so much losing a girlfriend - more a case of having a wart removed.

I am firmly committed to the "why don't yall fek off routine" because if that's what they want, they can have it - and take salmond to hell with them.

The United Kingdom will still exist with a minor footnote regarding the loss of a few million souls to some banana republic. The rest of the world will hardly notice and continue to see the UK as they always have.

Having said that, Shirl is probably right about the bagpipes...
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

But you could say the same of Wales, Birmingham, oop North, Cornwall and East Anglia, Milkins....and none of them have bagpipes.
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:But you could say the same of Wales, Birmingham, oop North, Cornwall and East Anglia, Milkins....and none of them have bagpipes.
I could say the same but, fortunately, none of them are Scotland and none of them have some meathead screaming for independence!

I shall not be swayed - they can all feck off should they wish and then we can all just get on without having to hear about sodding scotland all the bleedin' time. Should they choose to stay, hopefully salmond and his high-living, tax payers money wasting cronies will have the good grace to shut the f**k up.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Not really...as an analogy its a bit more like this... the first 30 seconds sum it up.

[youtube][/youtube]
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

What The Cincinnati Kid said. Does it worry anyone else that most financial experts say that Salmond plans dont add up, so where will he go for finance. There's some very unscrupulous countries out there land grabbing all over the globe, China etc. With Salmond I wouldn't rule anything out.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

To be honest, I have little to no interest which ever way they vote. I guess it will be sad to see the UK break up, but in the main I don't really feel strongly either way. I guess we will lose a Wimbledon champion, but he probably won't win it again now anyway.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.