Pistorious verdict

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Pistorious verdict

Post by Weybridge »

Just listening to the judge's long and detailed consideration. Absolutely nothing going his way so far. She's called him contradictory, rejects that he was ever out of control of his own actions, and 'temporary insanity' plea has no grounds.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Pistorious verdict

Post by Pompski! »

Does anyone actually care at all about this, or is it just me?

Yet another half-story blown out of all proportions. Children are being massacred every minute in the Middle East yet this shi*e is clogging up all the f****** news channels.
I am me, the universe and you.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Masipa: "The state has not proved beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty of premeditated murder. There are not enough facts."
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Culpable homicide seems favourite , though Pompski makes a very valid point :!:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Pompski! wrote:Does anyone actually care at all about this, or is it just me?

Yet another half-story blown out of all proportions. Children are being massacred every minute in the Middle East yet this shi*e is clogging up all the f****** news channels.
Dunno Pompski.......I'm stumped.

Hello?....Hello....Hell?.....yes, table for 1 please.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

If he had allegedly shot a male friend this would hardly make the news. The fact she was female and a model means the tabloids go all "foxy Knoxy" on us. ******* scum the lot of them.... and the people who read them.
I am me, the universe and you.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Pompski! wrote:If he had allegedly shot a male friend this would hardly make the news. The fact she was female and a model means the tabloids go all "foxy Knoxy" on us. ******* scum the lot of them.... and the people who read them.
Talking of Knox , I see they are doing a film about her . Did NOT read a tabloid paper , got it from the bbc :wink:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

I doubt if he will go to jail .

I think they will tag him ......
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Pompski! wrote:If he had allegedly shot a male friend this would hardly make the news. The fact she was female and a model means the tabloids go all "foxy Knoxy" on us. ******* scum the lot of them.... and the people who read them.
Talking of Knox , I see they are doing a film about her . Did NOT read a tabloid paper , got it from the bbc :wink:
Another one? I thought they did one a couple of years ago, with Hayden Patisserie or whatever her daft name is.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
sacre blue
Interim Manager

Post by sacre blue »

Read a story that a previous girlfriend locked his gun away because she was scared of him.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

One thing that is poor is that justice worldwide in the fairly civilized countries that have a justice system based on English law....is appallingly slow for both the victims and the accused. The Judge has had months to write her opinion......ffs read it!
But no.....after waiting months we have to stop for lunch because having to work more than 3 hrs would be tough.
And not giving the sentence is ridiculous.....she is simply delaying to gauge public opinion and thus cover her arris.
Public opinion seems to be fairly poor on the murder acquittal so after another month expect a custodial sentence of 7 yrs with the max being 15.
Normal people could read that decision and give sentence in an hour.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The guy's guilty as hell from what evidence I've seen - which admittedly isn't too much.
Pistorius hasn't got a blade to stand on yet the judge has decided that it's not been demonstrated he intended to kill a human being confined inside an extremely small space - and with a number of shots - not just a one off effort. I don't think the prosecution needed to say much to confirm that he intended to kill. The only thing is would it make any difference if he'd killed a burglar? Is it because the prosecution failed to demonstrate he'd killed his wife - specifically - rather than killed whoever was behind that door? Is this what the judge means? Aggh!

Not pre-meditated but definitely murder in the heat of the moment rather than manslaughter.
However, if the judge hands down a maximum sentence then I suppose it makes little difference to Pistorius....but it makes a heck of a difference to his wife's family and friends.

As I say, not taken too much interest the case so my thoughts above are to be taken in that light but like Mr The Kid I'm so frustrated as to why it's dragged on and on before it's announced what he gets.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

Sentencing delayed for exactly the period that an appeal can be made in.

Who would have thought...
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Earl Grey wrote:The guy's guilty as hell from what evidence I've seen - which admittedly isn't too much.
Pistorius hasn't got a blade to stand on yet the judge has decided that it's not been demonstrated he intended to kill a human being confined inside an extremely small space - and with a number of shots - not just a one off effort. I don't think the prosecution needed to say much to confirm that he intended to kill. The only thing is would it make any difference if he'd killed a burglar? Is it because the prosecution failed to demonstrate he'd killed his wife - specifically - rather than killed whoever was behind that door? Is this what the judge means? Aggh!

Not pre-meditated but definitely murder in the heat of the moment rather than manslaughter.
However, if the judge hands down a maximum sentence then I suppose it makes little difference to Pistorius....but it makes a heck of a difference to his wife's family and friends.

As I say, not taken too much interest the case so my thoughts above are to be taken in that light but like Mr The Kid I'm so frustrated as to why it's dragged on and on before it's announced what he gets.
The primary charge was the pre-meditated murder specifically of Reeva Steencamp which was not guilty. He was found guilty of her manslaughter.

I think this is the right verdict. The prosecution's version of events didn't fit all the evidence as the defence did and his constant breakdowns and vomiting in court were genuine (IMHO) and not 'the best acting the world has ever seen'.

Previous reports of ill-advised horseplay with guns in a gun-flooded society do not make him a murderer. Look at what they get up to in other such societies.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

On 'hearing an intruder' what man would not wake his wife/partner and make her aware of the imminent danger before telling her to phone the police and make herself safe. Who would leave their partner asleep in bed (as a helpless target) should they be overwhelmed by the intruder(s).