Back from the Dagenham & Redbridge game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Dagenham & Redbridge game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Morning all, this will have to brief for now as have to go into a meeting in 15 minutes. Would have done this report last night, but the Highways Agency decided to shut the A3(M) northbound just by Horndean last night so didn't get home till after 11.30 and was a tad tired!

Anyway, on to the game. I think that has to be one of the weirdest 3-0 victories I have I ever witnessed, and whilst the Fratton Faithful walked away happy, I suspect there were many mixed feelings amongst the crowd, as for large parts of the game we were poor, especially in the first half. We seemed incapable of stringing two passes together, and finding the same member of your team with a blue shirt on seemed an impossible task. It was infuriating - schoolboy error stuff.

The one shining light on the evening for me was the return of Big Pat. He was fantastic last night. He looks leaner, fitter and sharper than I've seen him in months, and that has to be one of his, if not his best performance for us. He was also instrumental in our first goal which was a massive game changer. Up until Dunne scored his goal for us, and you wont see a better one at Fratton Park this season, we were 2nd best. It was an Agyemang lay off / assist that Dunne sprinted on to outside the box, burst through a couple of their defenders and then literally blasted it into the top of the net. After the tripe that we had witnessed for he previous 40 minutes, it was just what the team and fans needed.

You would have thought that would have changed everything, but we came back out in the second half looking second best again! The sending off of their No 28 for a second yellow, followed by our penalty a few minutes later did change things though. Both decisions looked correct to me (obviously 8) ) and from then onwards we played some fantastic football. We could have won the game 4,5 or 6 nil. In fact, it should have been 4-0 anyway, as how they disallowed Storey's goal was beyond me. Need to see it on TV but looked a shocking decision from where we were all sat.

Confidence is a huge thing in football, especially at this level, and the difference in our team once they realised they had the game won was immense. This was displayed by none more so than Jed Wallace who prior to his penalty was having an absolute shocker (even he admitted this on Twitter!). Fair dues to him, because he grabbed the ball when the penalty was given and coolly slotted home wrong footing the keeper. After that, he looked like a world beater!

Other performances of note last night were Jack Whatmough who had a very solid game, and James Dunne, who's wonder strike did set us on our winning way. I'd love to know what has happened to Danny Hollands, he is is not right at the moment. I'm not sure whether it is in his head or in his body!

I thought Awfs set the team up well last night. We seem to be far harder to beat with 3 at the back, but if I am going to be critical of Sir Andrew I personally would have made Dunne captain, not because his form has been far superior this season, but because Hollands is not a leader on the pitch, Dunne is, and was again last night.

Onwards and upwards. Wycombe will be tough opposition on Saturday, but if we play how we played for the last 20 minutes or so last night, we can beat anyone in this league. Also should have Atangana back which will be a huge boost IMHO.
Far Post Brisley
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Back from the Dagenham & Redbridge game

Post by Far Post Brisley »

I missed the game. What was the ridiculous booking I heard about? Sense of humour failure from ref apparently..
"Oh, well, that's the end of this suit!"
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

SB - thanks for the report.

I listened on Radio Solent. The commentary matched your description very accurately.

And also your conclusion: Guy Whittingham was entirely unconvinced about the quality of the 3-0 victory. He said that it was very much chance - for example, the second half D&R ball that hit the crossbar (?) could easily have changed the outcome. Pompey weren't that good.

But onwards and upwards! PPU.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

I thought Whatmough was outstanding last night. Made a couple of small errors but some of his setup/creative play was great. His throughball lead to the first goal.
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

Also, the away fans, given there were only about 6 of them, made a good noise!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Selsey Bill wrote:Morning all, this will have to brief for now as have to go into a meeting in 15 minutes.
If you ever decide to write a detailed report, I think you'll have to book a day off work!
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Agreed on big Pat he was brilliant. An assist on the first goal and a huge hand in their player being sent off which changed the game as they just could not deal with him. If he keeps that up he will keep Taylor out of our games until the 70th minute every week. The luke warm applause on the MOTM announcement indicated to me that most of the crowd thought it should have been awarded to Pat.

Amazing what confidence does, Jed was a man possessed after he scored tearing up and down the pitch and screaming past their defence.

Lets hope some of this confidence survives till Saturday
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Morning all, this will have to brief for now as have to go into a meeting in 15 minutes.
If you ever decide to write a detailed report, I think you'll have to book a day off work!
:lol:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

blitzoid wrote:I thought Whatmough was outstanding last night. Made a couple of small errors but some of his setup/creative play was great. His throughball lead to the first goal.
Yes, Jack was a contender for my MOTM. Both Devera and Robinson could learn a lot from his distribution, especially Mr D. I think Whatmough's mistakes are purely down to his inexperience - he doesn't quite read the ball sometimes, especially if it bounces in front of him. In the air, he is awesome. On the subject of defenders, good as he is, have you noticed that Robinson has the habit of giving away silly/needless free kicks in dangerous areas on a regular basis? I've certainly witnessed at least one a match.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Far Post Brisley wrote:I missed the game. What was the ridiculous booking I heard about? Sense of humour failure from ref apparently..
I assume it was the Westarr booking you are talking about? If so, yes, it was ridiculous. As I saw it from the other side of the ground, Dan Butler won us a free kick deep in their half over in the corner of the South Stand and Fratton End. Westcarr teed it up take it, and was told by the ref to move it back. He did so, albeit a bit slowly and deliberately, but apparently moved it too far back, only to get told to bring it forward a bit. He then got booked for time wasting!!! It was pathetic, but the ref, Carl Berry, has quite a bit of history.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Far Post Brisley wrote:I missed the game. What was the ridiculous booking I heard about? Sense of humour failure from ref apparently..
I assume it was the Westarr booking you are talking about? If so, yes, it was ridiculous. As I saw it from the other side of the ground, Dan Butler won us a free kick deep in their half over in the corner of the South Stand and Fratton End. Westcarr teed it up take it, and was told by the ref to move it back. He did so, albeit a bit slowly and deliberately, but apparently moved it too far back, only to get told to bring it forward a bit. He then got booked for time wasting!!! It was pathetic, but the ref, Carl Berry, has quite a bit of history.
That was not quite how it went. Westcarr placed the ball for the free kick and the ref asked him to move it back which he did (a very little) the ref then asked him to move it back again which he again did (a very little) the referee then gestured him back a third time at which Westcarr picked up the ball and very deliberatley placed it off of the pitch right under the South stand. It got a big cheer and an audible laugh from the crowd and the referee had a sense of humour bypass and booked him.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Dave wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:
That was not quite how it went. Westcarr placed the ball for the free kick and the ref asked him to move it back which he did (a very little) the ref then asked him to move it back again which he again did (a very little) the referee then gestured him back a third time at which Westcarr picked up the ball and very deliberatley placed it off of the pitch right under the South stand. It got a big cheer and an audible laugh from the crowd and the referee had a sense of humour bypass and booked him.
:lol: That is much funnier than my version as well :thumb
the-future-is-blue
Mickey Quinn

Post by the-future-is-blue »

Thanks Mr Selsey :thumb

Love the explanation of Westcarr's booking - who said football isn't entertaining !
Gaydamack's wonderful millions - well it did seem too good to be true !
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Selsey Bill wrote:
. On the subject of defenders, good as he is, have you noticed that Robinson has the habit of giving away silly/needless free kicks in dangerous areas on a regular basis? I've certainly witnessed at least one a match.
Although nowhere near as many as Chorley
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Selsey Bill wrote:
well he was taking the ******, he moved it back slightly, the ref said move it back 4 yards so westcarr took it right off the pitch to the edge of the grass so the ref booked him for taking the ******