Pompey fans vote for crest change

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Pompey fans vote for crest change

Post by Selsey Bill »

New badge to appear on next season's kits

Pompey will be changing their crest on shirts after a survey of fans indicated there was an appetite to do so.

From the 2015/16 season, the kit – which fans will get a say on next week in a consultative vote – will sport a traditional star and crescent design on a Swiss-shield, based on the highly popular 1912-style crest which was put on the commemorative ‘Pompey Pals’ home shirt this season.

The positive feedback from that move saw the club put the question of a new shirt badge out to consultation and almost 5,000 responded.

Fifty-five per cent, a clear majority, said that they would like to see the club re-adopt a design based on the 1912 style.

Twenty-six per cent opted to retain the current version, which dates from 2008 and 19 per cent wanted the club to consult further on an all-new design.

The key change to the 1912-design is the new crest will feature an eight-point star alongside the crescent rather than a five-point one, as well as incorporating subtle shading elements.

Colin Farmery, who has overseen the consultation and is responsible for the club’s history and archiving projects, said: “I am sure fans will be pleased with the new crest. It very much draws on the club’s past and means we will be returning to a timeless design used for almost 70 years from 1912 until 1980.

“The styling of the badge has given it a more contemporary feel, but at its heart it is faithful to the best traditions of the club.

“We are fortunate to have an iconic crest which is instantly recognisable around the country without the need for words.”

And Colin revealed the decision to adopt an eight-point star rather than a five-point one was driven by the fans as well.

He said: “We allowed fans to comment and almost 1,200 did. In those, there was a strong feeling that an eight-point star was either more stylish or was a direct link with the city coat of arms, so should be used.

“As a club we also felt it was appropriate to leave the five-point design we adopted this season on the home shirt as the one-off commemoration intended for the brave men from Portsmouth who fell in the Great War.”

Another set of consultative votes is planned to start on Monday for next season’s kits and the new crest will appear on the options.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Pompey fans vote for crest change

Post by Earl Grey »

Pleased to see there will still be consultation with the fans throughout the process. I was concerned that if the vote went for a new badge it'd give carte blanche for some loony designer to cook something up that no one in their right mind would want.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I have to say I admire the club for reaching out to the fans on these types of topic. After all, if fans have a say in the new shirts as well as the crest, it would surely inspire larger sales..... or is that just the marketer in me?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I really don't like the new badge. Its the brand and i think it looks like its come out a cartoon.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey1985 wrote:I really don't like the new badge. Its the brand and i think it looks like its come out a cartoon.
I agree - but I'm guessing that it will be modified to an extent.

All we voted for was a badge "based on" the 1912 design.....not exactly the same with no thought.

For example white and blue isn't too good imho - needs to be yellow (or gold) and blue but whether that will happen is up to further consultation (I hope).
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I was under the impression its the one on the news website
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

This one:

(I like it actually - especially if we *stick* to it!. Got the elements of old, but allowed for a bit of subtle updating. Though I'd not be disappointed at all if the star was gold - more in keeping with the title-winning kit - either).
Attachments
New Crest 2015.jpg
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:This one:

(I like it actually - especially if we *stick* to it!. Got the elements of old, but allowed for a bit of subtle updating. Though I'd not be disappointed at all if the star was gold - more in keeping with the title-winning kit - either).
Is our crest really as famous as we think it is?
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Pompey1985 wrote:
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:This one:

Is our crest really as famous as we think it is?
Yes
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

What I've been thinking of '85, is all the bits and bobs, dotted around the City (council related they may be) - but all sorts of things from lamposts, bus corp. stuff, parks & rec. areas, drain covers (!) lotsa landmarks.... They've all got the star & crescent on. I know it could be taken as Islamic, but I don't think that's a concern (though it did save one bloke's life a few years ago!) - I really do think it represents our City and the club at the same time.

We had that 'coat of arms' crest (goodmans top?) - didn't like that AT ALL. The other was a bit 'naval' - about the time I started watching us - early '80's - rope with a football in the centre with an anchor & sword. It looked ok I thought, but star & crescent is better IMHO.

Yep, as a Pompey boy born & bred (no, not 'inbred' :roll: ) - round the city enough in my youth, it does make me think of Portsmouth.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:What I've been thinking of '85, is all the bits and bobs, dotted around the City (council related they may be) - but all sorts of things from lamposts, bus corp. stuff, parks & rec. areas, drain covers (!) lotsa landmarks.... They've all got the star & crescent on. I know it could be taken as Islamic, but I don't think that's a concern (though it did save one bloke's life a few years ago!) - I really do think it represents our City and the club at the same time.

We had that 'coat of arms' crest (goodmans top?) - didn't like that AT ALL. The other was a bit 'naval' - about the time I started watching us - early '80's - rope with a football in the centre with an anchor & sword. It looked ok I thought, but star & crescent is better IMHO.

Yep, as a Pompey boy born & bred (no, not 'inbred' :roll: ) - round the city enough in my youth, it does make me think of Portsmouth.
I don't dispute its well known amongst the natives and the surround areas, but would a kid in Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds or say Sheffield recognise our badge... Our brand without the name of the club on? Would you recognise theirs?

I just don't really like it.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

15 years ago I travelled through Asia and numerous times local people stopped me and commented on my Pompey shirt. The catch is that it was a polo shirt with just the crest. So yes it is known, even globally.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Hard to gauge from the "outside" I suppose, isn't it? - being on the inside. Do we have a global 'brand' - a readily identifiable symbol?

The 7 seasons in the Premiership certainly did us no harm (domestically or abroad). The gold star & crescent in place for 3 of those? For the first 4 years, it was there too - albeit a slightly smaller, with the "Portsmouth FC" underneath. So all of them really - a real 'growth exposure' time with TV and the developing countries.

Then (we don't really know) our branding before that - all those years in the 'wilderness' - but we had our history prior to that.

Even little 'stunts' (thinking the likes of Yoshi and the Japanese) - and to an extent the first administration and Mandandrich, although not good press - "there's no such thing as bad publicity?"

I think the star & crescent is better known then we know. The alternative symbols/badges have generally only been for a few seasons, so pretty much a 100 years of the star & crescent? ..and the 'Islam' connection has probably done us a few favours too?
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey Dave wrote:15 years ago I travelled through Asia and numerous times local people stopped me and commented on my Pompey shirt. The catch is that it was a polo shirt with just the crest. So yes it is known, even globally.
:thumb
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

It came up on University Challenge a couple of years ago, in the picture bonus - 3 coats of arms of coastal cities. The team got Portsmouth but not Plymouth or Brighton.

There are certain crests everyone involved in footie knows: Wolves, Arsenole, Wet Spam, Spuds and I guess Liverpool, perhaps Norwich. None of those have changed for years. Actually, I think there's a lot to be said for a logo that a kid can draw. Start them young, I say.

By the way, I have still not found out why the star only had five points from 1912 to whenever it was (sometime in the 1950s I think). The City crest has always had an 8-pointed star since 1295 or whenever that was. Maybe the corporation (borough council at that time) wouldn't allow the use of it - or even the College of Heralds. Coats of Arms are only to be used by the person or organisations they are conferred on. I'm not so sure about a part of a heraldic device though.

As for the muslim connection, Turkey and Pakistan have a crescent and 5-pointed star on their flags and lots of other countries have the 5-pointed star on its own, but an 8-pointed star on a national flag is harder to find - Azerbaijan is a good place to look.