Pompey v Mansfield

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Pompey v Mansfield

Post by pompeygunner »

For me its most definitely about the formation 100%. We are starting games with @ least 6 defensively minded players, sometimes 7. That is producing sterile boring football & putting far too much emphasis on Wallace & co to pull something out the hat. The moment we switched formations after the subs (@ least 15mins too late IMO) the whole tone of the performance changed. That cannot be lost on Andy.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

The first half was the worst we have played since Awfs took over. Excuse the pun, but we were 'awful' and our manager needs to take a large portion of the blame in my opinion. It was evident within 20 minutes that we were set up wrong, and the most worrying thing of all for me was that it took until the 68th minute for Awfs to make the substitutions that were so glaringly obviously needed. I groaned when I saw his team selection and set up, and could not believe that he had left both Butler and Atangana out of the side, two of our best players. I know Shorey is good, but Butler is better at the moment and injects more pace and urgency into the side, something that is sorely lacking at the moment. As for Big Nigel, why oh why is Awfs persisting with Danny Hollands instead of him? He needs dropping, and fast! And, he was partly responsible for their goal as he whimped out of a tackle on the edge of the box. Having said that, their goal came from a catalogue of errors starting with Jones kicking the ball from a goal kick straight into touch (Jones's distribution was poor in general on Saturday). Two throw ins later and no tackling and Heslop fires in a goal - sloppy. On the subject of Mansfield, I would be embarrassed to support a team who behave in the way they do. They certainly were responsible for dragging us down to their level-a bunch of moaning, feigning cheats basically. How on earth Stuart Attwell, a premiership ref no less, fell for some of their play acting is beyond me, and the linesman on the north stand side was about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. My lads and I came away from the game on Saturday feeling utterly depressed. The only bright lights on a dismal performance were Nigel Atangana and Paul Robinson who were both excellent. Whilst Andy Awford is obviously learning, I'm slightly worried that the pressure is starting to get to him. I'm not sure if any of you heard his post match interview with Dan Windle on Express, but I thought he sounded in a bad place. Hopefully, it was because he was furious with the team's performance. Unfortunately though, he needs to take a large portion of the blame for it. I fear for us at Bury on Saturday if we play like that again. All this talk of us giving someone a good tonking soon is laughable-it could well be the other way round.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

totally agree with you Selsey, couldn't be bothered to applaud at final whistle. Just a shambles until Nige came on, he has to start instead of Hollands, him and Dunne in the middle looked far better towards the end. Feel sorry for Jed, he is trying to do it all himself.
Vince
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Fratton End Exile wrote:totally agree with you Selsey, couldn't be bothered to applaud at final whistle. Just a shambles until Nige came on, he has to start instead of Hollands, him and Dunne in the middle looked far better towards the end. Feel sorry for Jed, he is trying to do it all himself.
On the subject of Jed, I agree entirely. There was one point late on in the second half where he tracked back (overtaking Alex Wynter) and tackled their attacking left winger. My fear is that if this malaise continues he will leave us in January.
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

pompeygunner wrote:For me its most definitely about the formation 100%. We are starting games with @ least 6 defensively minded players, sometimes 7. That is producing sterile boring football & putting far too much emphasis on Wallace & co to pull something out the hat. The moment we switched formations after the subs (@ least 15mins too late IMO) the whole tone of the performance changed. That cannot be lost on Andy.
What he said. I would add that we were muscled out of the game time and time again. What a bunch of cheating thugs.
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:On the subject of Mansfield, I would be embarrassed to support a team who behave in the way they do. They certainly were responsible for dragging us down to their level-a bunch of moaning, feigning cheats basically.
Why they are a lower league side on gates of 3-4k they held the leagues big boys (again). Its not pretty but it does a job for them it keeps them in the league, the same league as us.

We need to get cuter to the goings on of other teams and at times join them. Moreover what we need to do is move more, pass better and work harder.

That said I think we will do better against Bury who will try and keep the ball on the deck, were not tough enough or ugly enough at times, you can get out of this league playing that way (see Chesterfield) but you need to move the ball better and faster we have no zip.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:On the subject of Mansfield, I would be embarrassed to support a team who behave in the way they do. They certainly were responsible for dragging us down to their level-a bunch of moaning, feigning cheats basically.
Why they are a lower league side on gates of 3-4k they held the leagues big boys (again). Its not pretty but it does a job for them it keeps them in the league, the same league as us.

We need to get cuter to the goings on of other teams and at times join them. Moreover what we need to do is move more, pass better and work harder.

That said I think we will do better against Bury who will try and keep the ball on the deck, were not tough enough or ugly enough at times, you can get out of this league playing that way (see Chesterfield) but you need to move the ball better and faster we have no zip.
oh and remember the game is 90mins long.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:

I tweeted the following before the game, and I stand by it:

"Only my opinion, but if Awfs's #Pompey starting line up includes Jones, Butler, Robinson, Dunne, Wallace, Atangana & Taylor we will win"

I still cant believe he didn't start Butler and Atangana. They have consistently been two of our best players this season.