Travelling to Gigg Lane by train?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

LondonWhite
Collins Mbesuma

Travelling to Gigg Lane by train?

Post by LondonWhite »

The Picc -> Bury line isn't running on Saturday (or Sunday)

Note to any Pompey fans...DON'T GET THE RAIL REPLACEMENT BUS...it takes for ever

Get the 135 bus from by Picc Gardens...

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/Pages/PNIArt ... icleID=111

Have a safe trip, hopefully you will return with zero points! :D :D
Shaker11
Collins Mbesuma

Re: Travelling to Gigg Lane by train?

Post by Shaker11 »

Just about to post the same.
Just to add the 135 bus is available from Manchester Centre Picadilly Gardens & other stops enroute in/from the City, from then on it only stops at a small number of stops along the way to Bury centre, hence the quickest way from Manchester.
Another thing is the bus passes Gigg Lane before the stop in Bury centre so unless your going to town you could get off earlier & go straight to the ground (only 2mins walk from nearest bus stop).
Bury centre is around 15mins walk to Gigg Lane, yet you could detour 5mins to the world famous outside market & sample the equally famous Bury Black Puddings.

Entrance prices to the game are one of or perhaps even the least expensive in the division. Check out the Portsmouth club site or www.buryfc.co.uk for full details.

Safe trip to all, enjoy the town & the game.
Last edited by Shaker11 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks both. Info appreciated.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

One of our factories used to be in Bury - Bensons Toffees, now an Aldi store, I think.

It was a short walk to Bury market - I warmly recommend the Bury black puddings - justifiably world famous.

But no substitute for Pompey win on Saturday..............0-2.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Last season's game at Gigg Lane is one I will never forget for various reasons. Had a blow out on the M40 and had to get tyre replaced as spare is a spacesaver, met all the team and the Ride2Bury team in the team hotel before the match, and then the match! 3-0 down early on in the second half - and ended up 4-4. One of those special Pompey games.
Shaker11
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Shaker11 »

Selsey Bill wrote:Last season's game at Gigg Lane is one I will never forget for various reasons. Had a blow out on the M40 and had to get tyre replaced as spare is a spacesaver, met all the team and the Ride2Bury team in the team hotel before the match, and then the match! 3-0 down early on in the second half - and ended up 4-4. One of those special Pompey games.

I remember quite a number of Pompey's had made the journey also. How many do people think will make the trip north for Saturday's game?

P.s Gigg Lane had a brand new drainage & turf in the summer.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Shaker11 wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:Last season's game at Gigg Lane is one I will never forget for various reasons. Had a blow out on the M40 and had to get tyre replaced as spare is a spacesaver, met all the team and the Ride2Bury team in the team hotel before the match, and then the match! 3-0 down early on in the second half - and ended up 4-4. One of those special Pompey games.

I remember quite a number of Pompey's had made the journey also. How many do people think will make the trip north for Saturday's game?

I seem to remember the figure of around about 1,500 made the journey. I doubt it will be as many this time for two reasons:
1. This was the first time a number of our fans had visited Gigg Lane, hence another ground to 'cross off the list'
2. A group of Pompey fans cycled all the way from Fratton Park to Gigg Lane for charity, and a number of their friends, family and supporters wanted to be there to meet and greet them upon their arrival.
I was there for both reasons!
PS - I really like your ground, but your catering facilities were awful. Not only did they sell no alcohol, but the burgers were up there amongst the worst I've ever eaten.
PPS Great gesture from your fans to give our fans a standing ovation at the end of the game.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

There have been loads of chances to watch Pompey at gigg lane. The league one season most recently and back in the 90's I think I went in the old division one.
Shaker11
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Shaker11 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Shaker11 wrote:

I seem to remember the figure of around about 1,500 made the journey. I doubt it will be as many this time for two reasons:
1. This was the first time a number of our fans had visited Gigg Lane, hence another ground to 'cross off the list'
2. A group of Pompey fans cycled all the way from Fratton Park to Gigg Lane for charity, and a number of their friends, family and supporters wanted to be there to meet and greet them upon their arrival.
I was there for both reasons!
PS - I really like your ground, but your catering facilities were awful. Not only did they sell no alcohol, but the burgers were up there amongst the worst I've ever eaten.
PPS Great gesture from your fans to give our fans a standing ovation at the end of the game.

The Shakers are generally a decent bunch of fans. Catering at the ground has changed for the better I believe & agree it needed to.

Perhaps 500-600 of you Pompey's to make the trip north then?
How have your attendances & away following been so far this season? Also compared to recent seasons?
Shaker11
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Shaker11 »

I wish everyone travelling to Bury today a safe trip & pleasant day.