Late Nite with The Cincinnati Kid

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Late Nite with The Cincinnati Kid

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:It would be churlish if one did not doff le chapeau to the genius of The Kid......a true original who regales us with an eclectic taste that defies criticism. I admit to being a classical buff, but every Kid programme is beautifully researched, with links that are witty and amusing and delivered with just the right amount of self deprication.

Anyone who can play a Hendricks track by an artist who out performs the Voodoo man and follow that with the Glenn Miller Band giving it plenty, gets my vote every time. I won't take up your offer to 'do requests' - mainly because your offerings are quite unique anyway......we salute you - just keep in coming!
Ahhhh Pomp....just the chap I was looking for and cheers for the review btw...
Anyhoo, 2 thangs....firstly you mention being a classical buff. Now me....well, its not my first choice and I might describe my knowledge of it as monumentally ignorant. And yet at least twice a year, I find myself downtown at the brilliant Music Hall...beautiful old building...to check out the Cincinnati Symphony. Now part of this is to rub shoulders with the local money that pretends to like classical music and keeps the wheels of business rolling...but I must say that what I find particularly enthralling from a musical standpoint is the way the composer/orchestra/conductor have managed to wield 80 odd musicians and...not sure how many different instruments....into a coherent piece of musical drama....its pure genius when you consider a top rock tune at best has 2 guitars, a bass, drums and vocals to mold. This is what I find brilliant about classical.
tbh though...I prefer ballet....Its classical with hot chicks in lingerie.

Secondly...do you like jazz?,,,,and can you explain it to me? I find peeps that like classical are also jazz fans....its like their punk rock...but I don't get it at all. Now I'm not talking about jazz tunes with a vocal....I'm talking about jazz instrumental with 3 or 4 guys.
You got a bass monkey....1 riff per tune
You got a drummer that makes a living out of the snare and high hat...also 1 riff per tune when he's allowed out
Then you got yer main instrumentalist.....could be sax, guitar, piano, brass or a mix.....these guys just seem to play random notes in an appropriate scale for 5 minutes.
And why oh why, when jazz is on the radio, does the dj want to tell me the names of all the musicians?
I mean, you don't hear Ticket to Ride with the dj saying.....well that was ticket to Ride from 1967 with Ringo on drums, George on guitar and Paul on bass do you?
I don't get instrumental jazz at all
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

The Beautiful Game wrote:Christy Hynde doing Radiohead's Creep.

:smt007

Still Sexy as Hell.
Yup and....prepare to be shocked....this Ohio girl is 63 yrs young.
Div III. Call it what it is.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Ahhhh Pomp....just the chap I was looking for and cheers for the review btw...
Anyhoo, 2 thangs....firstly you mention being a classical buff. Now me....well, its not my first choice and I might describe my knowledge of it as monumentally ignorant. And yet at least twice a year, I find myself downtown at the brilliant Music Hall...beautiful old building...to check out the Cincinnati Symphony. Now part of this is to rub shoulders with the local money that pretends to like classical music and keeps the wheels of business rolling...but I must say that what I find particularly enthralling from a musical standpoint is the way the composer/orchestra/conductor have managed to wield 80 odd musicians and...not sure how many different instruments....into a coherent piece of musical drama....its pure genius when you consider a top rock tune at best has 2 guitars, a bass, drums and vocals to mold. This is what I find brilliant about classical.
tbh though...I prefer ballet....Its classical with hot chicks in lingerie.

Secondly...do you like jazz?,,,,and can you explain it to me? I find peeps that like classical are also jazz fans....its like their punk rock...but I don't get it at all. Now I'm not talking about jazz tunes with a vocal....I'm talking about jazz instrumental with 3 or 4 guys.
It's a long story CK - as a callow youth, I earned my living as a trumpet player....played modern jazz and worshipped at the shrine of Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Chet Baker, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich et al......most musicians I met and played with had the same arrogance about music that I had, but as life progresses, you mellow a bit. But I learned my craft in the classical genre first - the Cincinnati Symphony is an orchestra of world renown and I envy your good fortune in having them on your doorstep! Anyhoo...as you would say - suffice to say that I gave up playing music at the age of 25 and got myself a proper job in production, but I still hanker for those days in smokey jazz clubs.

It was inevitable that my tastes would return to the classical path - we are lucky enough to have some of the best classical anthem composers in the world - Elgar, Holst et al....soaring statements that make your hair stand on end. interesting too, that you mention ballet another of my loves. I am even a Patron at Sadlers Wells, although I prefer modern ballet. The sheer athleticism of ballet is an amazing experience once you understand what it's all about. So I developed eclectic appetites in all things artistic - ballet, classical music, opera, jazz. And there is nothing better, as a musician, than sitting in an orchestra, band or ensemble and experiencing the power of the music around you being created by kindred souls - it's the best buzz you will ever get.........!