Late Nite with The Cincinnati Kid

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Late Nite with The Cincinnati Kid

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Goooooood evening Portsmuff!
And a hearty hello to our stripy chum(p)s down the road. May your wimin have the breath of skunks and may your menfolk have hairy backs.
It's time for another edition of your favorite show....Late Nite! Lets hear it for your host....a man amongst boys, a legend in his own lunchtime.....The Cincinnati Kid!

Hi ho Kid fans....well, what a show we have lined up for y'all this evening. But first, a worldwide global universal exclusive interview with Portsmouth manager, Sir Andrew Awford.

Kid: Sir Andy.....is it true that after initial success you are morphing into the love child of Richie Barker and Utter Boredom and that, furthermore, you have sacrificed entertaining football for being tight at the back and you don't know yer best first 11? Also, word has it you are playing wing backs with no wing backs...can you elaborate on this tactic?
Sir Andy: No....can you play some music now?

Right then....here's Late Nite favorite SRV out Hendrixing Jimi with Voodoo Child. I think I've explained this before...custom fat frets on yer Strat, the heaviest gauge strings money can buy and tune down a half step to Eb....because when yer SRV, the rest of the band tunes to you.
Yeah....right on.
[youtube][/youtube]
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Re: Late Nite with The Cincinnati Kid

Well....how do you follow that up eh what?
Well....you can't so....good nite and have a nice day!

OK....but seriously folks.....let me take y'all back to 1941 and here is the Glenn Miller Orchestra cranking out In The Mood. For those of you not familiar with Mr. Miller....go watch the movie starring James Stewart as Miller. He disappeared in 1944 in a plane en route from blighty to Paris to entertain the conquering allied troops ...presumed dead over the channel.
Wtf has his plane not been found yet? The channel ain’t that deep!
Anyhoo....axe men...note the electric guitar subtly hiding in the background.....more on that later.
and oh yeah...i'm pretty sure this is a movie clip and the pianoman is an actor
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by The Cincinnati Kid on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Here's another American music icon that died because he visited England. If y'all could stop killing off our Rock stars that would be cool. Anyhoo.....Eddie had a bunch of hits in his short career and I think there is no doubt he would have been as big as Elvis. The .A4 in Chippenham is the site of the car crash that killed him (Gene Vincent also in the car survived) ...look out for the memorial next time you pass.
And here's an astonishing wikifact......a wikifact btw, is not a FACT... but how bizarre if true.

David Harman, a police cadet at the station who would later become known as Dave Dee of the band Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, taught himself to play guitar on Cochran's impounded Gretsch. Earlier in the tour, the same guitar had been carried to the car for Cochran by the 12-year old Mark Feld, later known as Marc Bolan of T. Rex, who would himself die in a car crash in 1977
Do doo doo doo, do doo do doo (Theme from the Twilight Zone)

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I hesitate to play this next number...I really do. Late Nite is about guitar based rock n roll you know.
Anyhoo.....talent must be recognized and I accidentally heard this ditty whilst driving in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. Now usually in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere USA, you got 3 choices on the radio.
1. I hate Obama talk radio
2. God
3. Country.

And so as I was turning the dial (Don't touch that dial) I came across this.
Turns out it was no 1 in UK and USA...tbh, I doubt I've heard of 97.63% of artists in the charts.
Anyhoo....very catchy so I did a bit of research. Turns out Ms. Trainor has been working on her craft and writing songs since age 11. She takes this one to a record guy and as he's thinking ...I like this!...who can we get to sing this?...she plays her demo and bazoomba.....all that hard work and songwriting classes pay off. So, well done to her. Here's the version from that other Late Nite chump Jimmy Fallon, which also counts as my comedy clip, and the original, in case you have been living in a cave and are too old to crack modern pop music that those damn kids listen to once in a while.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Yeah...I feel dirty after playing that. Back to the big band and remember that guitar subtly hiding in the back of The Glen Miller Orchestra.....well here's the bloke that put it out front.
Got tickets for this show in Nashville on Dec 9th to see The Gretchmaster...it's gonna rock!
I highly recommend Rumble in Brixton which can be seen on youtube in its entirety. I think the blokes a genius
btw....astute observers will note Mr. Seltzer's axe compared to Eddie Cochran's........just sayin....
And...if I had time, and didn't have to work from time to time....3 days later at the very same theater in Nashville is Ms. Chrissie Hynde....I tried to make the 2 shows work but alas....

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by The Cincinnati Kid on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

....And...if I had time, and didn't have to work from time to time....3 days later at the very same theater in Nashville is Ms. Chrissie Hynde....I tried to make the 2 shows work but alas....
Does she have one of the most unique vocals in music or what?
Here she is covering Radiohead's triffic tune Creep

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Time now for an edition of Fight Club.
Has Tarantino made a bad movie yet?
I think not.
Here's The Bride, Black Mamba vs The Crazy 88's
You sure can do a lot of damage when you've got an original Hittori Hanzo sword.

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Speaking of Nashville, let's end with one of my all time fav artists, Mr. Johnny Cash
I'm off on a long weekend vaction this week and one of the other guests (regular readers of my drivel may recall this story) was Johnny's bus driver for 8 yrs.....boy does he have some stories!
Hello I'm Johnny Cash!....brilliant....oh and check out the snare drum trick with the geetaar....haven't seen that before have you?!
Nite Kid fans

[youtube][/youtube]
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Well worth the wait Cinc , an eclectic mix and an education all in one.
:thumb
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Do you do requests?
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Difficult not to get that bl**dy All About That Bass toon stuck in your head. Glad you ended with the Man in Black - much prefer singing along to him.

Good show, our Kid.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

Christy Hynde doing Radiohead's Creep.

:smt007

Still Sexy as Hell.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:Do you do requests?

You could maybe suggest an artist......that I might maybe check out....that I might maybe like... that I might maybe put on a future show.
Maybe.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Do you do requests?

You could maybe suggest an artist......that I might maybe check out....that I might maybe like... that I might maybe put on a future show.
Maybe.
Raphael Ravenscroft has shook a six.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

It would be churlish if one did not doff le chapeau to the genius of The Kid......a true original who regales us with an eclectic taste that defies criticism. I admit to being a classical buff, but every Kid programme is beautifully researched, with links that are witty and amusing and delivered with just the right amount of self deprication.

Anyone who can play a Hendricks track by an artist who out performs the Voodoo man and follow that with the Glenn Miller Band giving it plenty, gets my vote every time. I won't take up your offer to 'do requests' - mainly because your offerings are quite unique anyway......we salute you - just keep in coming!