Huge game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Huge game

Post by Selsey Bill »

I appreciate this is stating the bleedin' obvious, but I fear a little for Andy Awford if his team doesn't come out and perform under the floodlights at Fratton tonight. The Boo Boys are already back in town, and they will certainly make their feelings known at anything less than a home win and three points. To make matters worse, looking at the forecast the conditions will be tricky with the tail end of Hurricane Gonzalo swirling around inside the ground. This will almost certainly suit Stevenage more than us.

Not quite sure who is fit and who isn't, but I'd go for pace up front so my team would look something like this:

Jones

Butler Robinson Chorley Wynter

Holmes Dunne (C) Atangana Wallace

Drennan Storey

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think that up front combination of Drennan and Storey is one of the few Awfs hasn't tried yet. I think it could work if we get Big Nigel delivering some of his killer passes. Defences in this league struggle with pacey players running in behind them. Simples!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: Huge game

Post by Portchester PFC »

If he plays wing backs again then i think he is clearly failing to see what is wrong, i don't think he is afraid of change as he has changed quite a lot, but he has to see the futility of that system with the players we have, even the bl**dy evening news are questioning that formation now so surely he must see it is not working as well.

I agree SB, we desperately need a win tonight, and a convincing one otherwise he will start to lose the good will of the crowd and probably the dressing room as well.

PUP, gutted i can't be there tonight, but i may reserve that judgement following the performance :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd go.

------------Jones--------------
Devera Robinson Chorley Shorey
Wallace Dunne Hollands Atanga Holmes
----------- Taylor -----------------

The main reason being 442 hasn't worked for a long time for us. our strength is in midfield let them interchange a little but they must move. the extra body will give one of them some freedom if other two sit.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey1985 wrote:I'd go.

The main reason being 442 hasn't worked for a long time for us. our strength is in midfield let them interchange a little but they must move. the extra body will give one of them some freedom if other two sit.
I think I'd go with that, too....

....although like SB I'd be ready to give the Storey/Drennan partnership a go if things weren't working. A bit aerially-challenged but different.

But I wouldn't wait for 70 minutes if things weren't working!

With the weather likely to be a huge factor we can only thank the Gods we aren't playing the Foxes.

It could be one of those games where some players simply can't handle wet and windy whereas others can.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I'd go.

I quite like the look of that set up as a complete alternative to mine. It might actually work better with the likely conditions on the night. We'll probably both be completely wrong :lol:
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

What I think we will play isn't what I'd play. Its the formation from end of last season.

I know a Stevenage fan they aren't looking forward to tonight. I think we need to give someone a tonking to get the confidence back and less tinkering.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portchester PFC wrote:If he plays wing backs again then i think he is clearly failing to see what is wrong,
In the Snooze this morning, the backpage story states that Awford will change the formation tonight, coming away from the wingback system, although he hasn't stated what formation he will play (for obvious reasons).

For those that want to read more, http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-6368657
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

the_lock_man wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:If he plays wing backs again then i think he is clearly failing to see what is wrong,
In the Snooze this morning, the backpage story states that Awford will change the formation tonight, coming away from the wingback system, although he hasn't stated what formation he will play (for obvious reasons).

For those that want to read more, http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-6368657
Could be a double bluff.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

Could be a double bluff.
Yes. It could be. Or it could be a triple bluff. :wink:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Four at the back and Ben Close to start - almost wrote Glenn Close for a moment.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Transportation wrote:Four at the back and Ben Close to start - almost wrote Glenn Close for a moment.
Your guess, or insider information?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I'd go
-----------Jones--------------
Devera Robinson Chorley Butler
Wallace Dunne Hollands Atangana Holmes
----------- Taylor ----------

Butler gives so much more @ LB than Shorey ever can @ this stage of his career. If that is anything like the line up Hollands must be given license to bomb forward along with Wallace & Holmes obviously. Need to be positive from the off & try for an early goal, Stevenage have a reputation for being spoilers & an early goal against them could nulify that.
Lets do it!!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

the_lock_man wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:Four at the back and Ben Close to start - almost wrote Glenn Close for a moment.
Its a guess but he is very well thought of at the club and is the closest (sorry) of the young professionals to the 1st team on his merits. Nigel had a bit of a mare at Bury and Close got a lot of praise afterwards. He's the nearest thing we have to Fogden as well in the squad.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Its a guess but he is very well thought of at the club and is the closest (sorry) of the young professionals to the 1st team on his merits. Nigel had a bit of a mare at Bury and Close got a lot of praise afterwards. He's the nearest thing we have to Fogden as well in the squad.
I haven't seen much of Close, but he was really impressive in the JPT game against Northampton Town.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

the_lock_man wrote:

Thats good news Locky, lets hope that he sticks to that and we actually perform and get a result, god only knows we need one at the moment otherwise we are teetering at the top of a slippery slope.
Heaven's Light Our Guide