Back from the Stevenage game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Stevenage game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Morning all. Well, we weren't back to our best (whatever that may be) but that was a far better performance all round, and but for two defensive howlers it would have been a very comfortable evening for us. In fact, the final score could have been something like 5-3 or 6-4. Good to see us making plenty of chances.

It sounds like player power as well as media and fan power played a part in Awfs playing 4-4-2 last night, but the shape certainly suited a number of our players better, including Danny Hollands and Ricky Holmes who both had their best games for us so far this season from the ones I've witnessed.

I've been crying out for Awfs to give Storey a proper chance up front, and look what happens when he does! He was outstanding last night considering how little he has played and ran his heart out from start to finish. Westcarr could take a massive leaf out of his book when it comes to applying the effort. Storey's goal last night was superb - he had huge amounts of work to do when he picked the ball up from about 35 yards out, but he out-muscled and outpaced their defender (who wasn't sluggish) and his right footed volley was awesome. He also played a large part in our opener, assisting Jed with his goal in a big way. As for Jed, he was excellent last night, and for me our Man of the Match, closely followed by Storey. I still would love Awfs to try Storey with Drennan.

On a negative front, Shorey didn't have his best game. I'm personally not sure why he gets the nod over Butler any more, as I think the latter is better, and I'd rather play someone on their way up.

The application in general was much better last night, though we were far slower getting into our strides than I was expecting bearing in mind all the hype in the media, but once we had equalised there only looked like one winner to me. Having said that, it could easily have gone the other was as they had a blistering shot which crashed off the inside of the upright and went right across our goal - very luck escape. Let's also not forget Stevenage were in L1 last season, and they are certainly a better team than the likes of Newport or Mansfield.

As for their goals. The first came from a set piece (surprise, surprise), from a corner that we didn't deal with. The initial cross went long, but should have been intercepted/cleared by Robinson I think. The ball then dropped to one of their players inside the box who was unmarked and unchallenged. 1-0. The second was a complete howler from Joe Devera, but I'd like to know who was communicating with him as he obviously had no idea their player was right behind him when he tried to head the ball back to Jones. Their player nipped in rounded the keeper 2-2. I have to say I was delighted for Devera getting the winner - talk about atoning yourself in the best way possible. A cracking 25 yard left footed volley from the edge of the box no less!

There is still much work to be done, but you could see the side grow massively in confidence throughout that game, and following the last load of tripe I witnessed against Mansfield that was a vast improvement, and a much more enjoyable one to watch. If we could get anything against Shrewsbury this weekend it would be a huge result. However, if you haven't already done so I'd advise you not to look at their home form - it makes frightening reading. What is also quite scary is that in spite of how poor we have been recently, we are still only 3 points off the play-offs!

Finally, quick word for Awfs who has had the balls to admit that he has already made some big mistakes this season, and for being man enough to make the changes he did.

PUP
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Back from the Stevenage game

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

top report SB
Interested to know as I only caught the 1st 20 mins of commentary....did Stevenage come to play football or did they come to out thug us as many teams seem to do?
Oh and btw,,,,was the refs old lady a woman of ill repute as they all seem to be on those occasions when we are out thugged by the opposition?

keep up the good work
Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

SB has nailed it, Shorey-well I just cant fathom that out either. Slow, poor passer, even his delivery into the box was poor. Butler back please Awfs, he offers so much more energy & athleticism.
Stevenage were time wasting as early as 14mins in, so no they never came to play IMO. Which is strange because when they put us under pressure towards the end they played some reasonable stuff along with the Hooof.
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Selsey Bill wrote: I still would love Awfs to try Storey with Drennan.
Morning mate, thanks as ever for the report.

Drennan has gone back to Villa today, loan ended.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thanks SB comprehensive as usual
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Guernsey Blue wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote: I still would love Awfs to try Storey with Drennan.
Drennan has gone back to Villa today, loan ended.
Morning GB! I've just seen that - had no idea. Apparently didn't renew loan as Awfs said he didn't think he was right for our system. Hopefully, that indicates that he is actually going to stick to one :lol:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks SB. My second thought (after relief!) last night was that I hope Awford sticks with that team for a spell, injuries & suspensions permitting. We might not all agree with it 100%, but I think it is time to make a firm decision (that isn't 3-5-2) and have some faith.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Selsey Bill wrote:I've been crying out for Awfs to give Storey a proper chance up front, and look what happens when he does! He was outstanding last night considering how little he has played and ran his heart out from start to finish.
Awford has repeatedly said that Storey lost his head for a while and needed looking after - that could be for numerous reasons, not just football ones. He's still a kid himself and hasn't played that much prior to coming here. Clearly he has potential but whether that gets translated is likely to be based on what goes on between the ears. Trust the manager a little bit here.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:I've been crying out for Awfs to give Storey a proper chance up front, and look what happens when he does! He was outstanding last night considering how little he has played and ran his heart out from start to finish.
Awford has repeatedly said that Storey lost his head for a while and needed looking after - that could be for numerous reasons, not just football ones. He's still a kid himself and hasn't played that much prior to coming here. Clearly he has potential but whether that gets translated is likely to be based on what goes on between the ears. Trust the manager a little bit here.
I do trust Awfs! There's a few sat around me who don't though. Mind you they'd be moaning if we had Mourinho as our manager ;-)
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
That's interesting to hear. I wondered why Storey wasn't an automatic choice after the first couple of impressive performances at the beginning of the season.

As SB says, good that Awfs is man enough to admit his system isn't working.
Shame because I liked the wing-back system a lot that we used when we had players like Matt Taylor, Traore, Belhadj, Glen Johnson etc. but at this level things are different.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Right there EG. In a 3-5-2 formation there are three critical roles. The "extra" central MF player (the Merson role) and the wingbacks. The latter have to be good enough to get up and down the pitch, contribute in attack and not be awful in defence. In the promotion season we mostly used combinations of Matt Taylor, Jason Crowe, Kevin Harper and Steve Stone; all ideally suited to the role. Even allowing for the level, we have no-one this season who comes close to that skillset, with Butler probably the nearest.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Right there EG. In a 3-5-2 formation there are three critical roles. The "extra" central MF player (the Merson role) and the wingbacks. The latter have to be good enough to get up and down the pitch, contribute in attack and not be awful in defence. In the promotion season we mostly used combinations of Matt Taylor, Jason Crowe, Kevin Harper and Steve Stone; all ideally suited to the role. Even allowing for the level, we have no-one this season who comes close to that skillset, with Butler probably the nearest.
Indeed. Its also not a great system to use against Route One teams (and lets face it, that's most of them) who like to lash it in the corners and chase it down.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."