Better than google - Getting to Wembley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Better than google - Getting to Wembley

Post by This Time Next Year »

Off to see the NFL in a couple of weeks time, and was planning on driving up and dumping the car at an appropriate tube stop on the outskirts of town.

Previous trips to Wembley I was living in Eastleigh and thus went straight up the M3 and dumped the car in the Ruislip/Ickenham/Hillingdon area which worked fairly well.

Coming from Portsmouth this time up the A3, are there any better places to be stopping a bit closer to the A3, or is the hassle of tubing through central London not worth the hassle?

I'm guessing one or two on here may have been to Wembley before ;-)
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Better than google - Getting to Wembley

Post by Selsey Bill »

Morning TTNY. Living near Windsor, as a ST holder I spend half my life travelling to and from Portsmouth. Firstly, I'd definitely take the A3 rather than the M3. It is shorter, and now that they have built the tunnel at Hindhead, much quicker. For us, the journey is c. 15 - 20 miles shorter via the A3. With regards to getting to Wembley, I'd say it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but going to somewhere like Ickenham/Uxbridge is still the route with least public transport involvement. However, as a possible alternative, when driving up the A3 rather than getting on the M25 and heading towards the M40, you could obviously stay on the A3 and head towards somewhere like Wimbledon where you could get on the District Line, change at West Brompton (7 stops) onto the London Overground then change at Willesden Junction (3 stops) onto the Bakerloo Line (3 stops) to Wembley Central or I think the Overground is just one stop to same station? N.B. The walk to the stadium is longer and you don't get to walk up Wembley Way. You could also obviously get public transport all the way!
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

TTNY, I've always driven up the A3/M25/M40 to Uxbridge, parked in The Chimes multistorey (which seems appropriate). It is linked to the cinema so open very late, and then get the Jubilee line straight in to Wembley, no changing. Bit more driving but easy both in and out afterwards.
Have a good one.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

when going anywhere near London in the car, I always park at Surbiton station.
Weekend price is like 3 quid for the day!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Thanks for the advice and tips.

Was planning on going up A3, just wasn't sure whether to go on M25 or keep going to Richmond/Wimbledon.

Think I'll stick with my favourite tube stops of Hillingdon/Ickenham/Ruislip, between them theres about 500 car parking spaces, and they're all within a stones throw so should be able to find somewhere to park. They also have the direct line in to (and out of) Wembley way, and parking is £1.50 all day on a Sunday.

The changes involved from Wimbledon sound like far too much bother for lazy ol' me!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

This Time Next Year wrote:Thanks for the advice and tips.

Was planning on going up A3, just wasn't sure whether to go on M25 or keep going to Richmond/Wimbledon.

Think I'll stick with my favourite tube stops of Hillingdon/Ickenham/Ruislip, between them theres about 500 car parking spaces, and they're all within a stones throw so should be able to find somewhere to park. They also have the direct line in to (and out of) Wembley way, and parking is £1.50 all day on a Sunday.

The changes involved from Wimbledon sound like far too much bother for lazy ol' me!
I think you are right - have a good day out 8)
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Rayners Lane tube station has parking for £1 (well it did in 2008 and 2010). Direct line to Wembley. It's the simplest way by far. Also, there are some fabulous and cheap authentic South Asian eating places there.

If you decide to stop near the A3, parking around Wimbledon is residents only. AFAIK, there is only one place you can park now and that is on Putney Heath Lane - take the Putney/Fulham turnoff from the A3 (A219) at Tibberts Ride, then turn left at the Green Man pub. The first section is limited waiting, thereafter it's unrestricted. Bus or walk down the hill to Putney Bridge station (which is on the north side of the river), pausing for a pint or two in the Green Man, one of my favourite pubs.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

<dj.> wrote:Rayners Lane tube station has parking for £1 (well it did in 2008 and 2010). Direct line to Wembley. It's the simplest way by far. Also, there are some fabulous and cheap authentic South Asian eating places there.

If you decide to stop near the A3, parking around Wimbledon is residents only. AFAIK, there is only one place you can park now and that is on Putney Heath Lane - take the Putney/Fulham turnoff from the A3 (A219) at Tibberts Ride, then turn left at the Green Man pub. The first section is limited waiting, thereafter it's unrestricted. Bus or walk down the hill to Putney Bridge station (which is on the north side of the river), pausing for a pint or two in the Green Man, one of my favourite pubs.
I have always used Rayners lane tube too. If the tube car park is full there is on street car parking not far away and agreed on the places to eat.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Another vote for Raynor's Lane :thumb