£97M computer

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: £97M computer

Post by pompeygunner »

Yes but they can already predict when a river will go. Ref the haulage company as I said earlier as a nation we tend to get on with it anway.
I remain unconvinced.
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

What's wrong with a barometer ffs.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Does the Met Office have a secret bioweapons division? This could explain the big budget...

[youtube][/youtube]
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Why are people so up in arms about the Met Office bringing in some technological innovation??

You can't stop progress, folks.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

No but you can stop wastage. Money that could've spent far better elsewhere.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

pompeygunner wrote:No but you can stop wastage. Money that could've spent far better elsewhere.
How is this "wastage"? The planet is undergoing a highly dynamic and destructive climatic shift and we live on a densely-populated lump of rock that is at great risk to environmental changes. We need the best equipment to help us plan our defences.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

We already have modern computers able to forecast the weather, give an accurate guide to environment agencies about rivers etc. The original announcement said it would benefit the economy-I find that hard to believe.
Now where's my seaweed & fir cone........... :)
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

pompeygunner wrote:We already have modern computers able to forecast the weather, give an accurate guide to environment agencies about rivers etc. The original announcement said it would benefit the economy-I find that hard to believe.
Now where's my seaweed & fir cone........... :)
You just need a cow in the garden and you have a fully functioning weather station, see if they want to buy it for a few million and save themselves some cash gunner ! :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchester. :thumb
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I can sell you my Gran's arthritic knee as well if you want.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

The reporting of this is interesting. It is the now standard discourse about big data: more = better, faster = better, bigger = better and we'll be able to know everything we could possibly want to know!

This bit also made me laugh:
The extra capacity will also be useful for climate scientists, who need massive amounts of computing power to run detailed models over much longer time scales.
...and they still get it wrong.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

... and chips wrote:The reporting of this is interesting. It is the now standard discourse about big data: more = better, faster = better, bigger = better and we'll be able to know everything we could possibly want to know!

This bit also made me laugh:
The extra capacity will also be useful for climate scientists, who need massive amounts of computing power to run detailed models over much longer time scales.
...and they still get it wrong.
Yes, chucking more money at ever more expensive ways of not getting it right. If you don't understand the system then it doesn't matter what power your cpu has.

Meanwhile... some actual physicists are doing some interesting research. John McLean paper here suggests that there is little/no missing heat in the system as a result of the pause.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Meanwhile... some actual physicists are doing some interesting research. John McLean paper here suggests that there is little/no missing heat in the system as a result of the pause.
Really LT I do not understand why you think we would believe this detritus anymore. I assume the quoted Mr McLean is not the mythical figure of Die Hard/Harder/Really Hard fame but the guy from the Help Desk of the ANZ Bank in New Zealand.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.