£97M computer

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

£97M computer

Post by RubiconCSL »

Met Office going for a new Cray super computer, with ....wait for it.... 480,000 CPUs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29789208

For goodness sake, £97M. If they just rounded it up to £100M, they could buy a Macbook Pro. Not sure that would be enough to get a 3 year maintenance plan too though.

Also, doesn't the term Central Processing Unit kind of suggest 1 of them, as opposed to 480,000 of the little buggers?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: £97M computer

Post by Portchester PFC »

Saw this on another web site Rubi and they equated it to the same computing power as 120,000 top end smart phones, now i know that is a lot of smart phones and they are pretty quick nowadays but it still didn't seem a lot for £97M :D

Still, apparently the claims are it can accurately forecast hourly updates for a 300m area accurately, if this is the case then thats quite impressive.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

£97m seems steep. There's loads of decent weather apps out there for free...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Weybridge wrote:£97m seems steep. There's loads of decent weather apps out there for free...
Who all get their info from the Met Office (AFAIK). :wink:
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

In theory this is just an investment though. If they can forecast with better accuracy, they can them sell those forecasts to all and sundry for an ongoing substantial fee.

I am all for governmental investment, IF they get a healthy and ongoing return from it. ie, I think the NHS should accept international patients who are willing to pay through the nose for treatment... The BBC are and should be selling their products all over the world and making a tidy profit on it... etc
I am me, the universe and you.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

Thanks, interesting article, wonder how long before it's obsolete, and if quantum computing will be cheaper?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Its going to benefit the economy apparently, I'm racking my brain to think how.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

pompeygunner wrote:Its going to benefit the economy apparently, I'm racking my brain to think how.
I'm sure business will benefit once we can tell the difference between 'dull', 'slightly gloomy' and 'looks as if it might rain later, but probably won't and even if it does it won't be a big deal'
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Weybridge wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:Its going to benefit the economy apparently, I'm racking my brain to think how.
I'm sure business will benefit once we can tell the difference between 'dull', 'slightly gloomy' and 'looks as if it might rain later, but probably won't and even if it does it won't be a big deal'
Well quite. :thumb
TBH UK's weather is variable, always has been always will be. There are weather MB's dedicated to weather of years gone by & even back in the 70's the weather was as variable as it is today. Think I'll stick with hanging seaweed on the window ledge approach, if it gets wet-raining. If it shrivels up-hot. If it gets brittle -cold.
Job Done! :D
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

pompeygunner wrote:
Weybridge wrote:
Well quite. :thumb
TBH UK's weather is variable, always has been always will be. There are weather MB's dedicated to weather of years gone by & even back in the 70's the weather was as variable as it is today. Think I'll stick with hanging seaweed on the window ledge approach, if it gets wet-raining. If it shrivels up-hot. If it gets brittle -cold.
Job Done! :D
Gunner, when are you going to compliment your already sophisticated weather station with a Mk1 Pine Cone :lol:
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd guess the met office like OS sell their expertise overseas as consultants. Maybe even let their new toy run models for other nations?
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Portchester PFC wrote:till, apparently the claims are it can accurately forecast hourly updates for a 300m area accurately, if this is the case then thats quite impressive.
If the 'm' is for metres, I feel a little underwhelmed...
Last edited by Miss Tickle's bottom on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

pompeygunner wrote:TBH UK's weather is variable, always has been always will be.
Which is why it's so important to be able to predict it accurately - they're not trying to control it, just provide accurate forecasts, which will benefit us all.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:TBH UK's weather is variable, always has been always will be.
Which is why it's so important to be able to predict it accurately - they're not trying to control it, just provide accurate forecasts, which will benefit us all.
For 97m they should be controlling it. :rofl
Seriously what do they hope to achieve by this & how will it benefit us? Because the way our weather is as a nation we tend to "get on with it". Cant see it myself & the ideas that it will benefit the economy are just the usual guff we get these days from those seeking to explain a high cost exercise that ultimately wont really help anyone. ( apart from smug forecasters). :)
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

pompeygunner wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
For 97m they should be controlling it. :rofl
Seriously what do they hope to achieve by this & how will it benefit us? Because the way our weather is as a nation we tend to "get on with it". Cant see it myself & the ideas that it will benefit the economy are just the usual guff we get these days from those seeking to explain a high cost exercise that ultimately wont really help anyone. ( apart from smug forecasters). :)
If you lived in an area prone to flooding, would you be grateful if you were told exactly when a storm would cause your local river to breach its banks?
If you owned a haulage business, would you like to know exactly when bridges were going to be closed because of high winds?
And so on...